English-language programming for American ex-pats in Europe?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

amstel78

Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
New York
I'm sure this question has been asked and answered before, but my searches aren't turning up much. I apologize as I'm rather new to the terminology, so perhaps I'm not searching correctly.

My wife and I both work for the UN. There is a strong chance that we may be transferred from New York to our Geneva office in the near future. I've been trying to do some research on what television options were available in English for non-French and German speakers like ourselves in Geneva. It seems there are a few satellites like Eurobird 1 that carries English-language programming, but wasn't sure if everything listed on the Lyngsat (Eurobird 1 at 28.5°E - LyngSat) page for EB1 was all FTA.

I'd like to know if possible what other satellites carry American/British television programs and are accessible from Geneva, Switzerland.

Has anyone moved from the US to Europe and found themselves in the same predicament I'm in? If so, I'd love to hear about your experiences. Not knowing much about satellite TV, I'm leaning towards purchasing a motorized KU dish in order to view more than one satellite that happens to be over the horizon wherever we may end up in Europe.

Many thanks in advance.

I was living until early this year in Lausanne, (Switzerland) and for a number of reasons I did not have FTA, but having cable was enough to get English programming (mainly from the UK), and watching US shows and listening to the original English audio on SAP (on French and Swiss channels), plus basic cable (of course being Europe) offers a wide array of programming in many languages and for many countries.
So, I personally did not find myself in any predicament, by the way, more people speak English in Geneva than where I was living.

Thank you both for your replies; I will do more research. Personally, I like the concept of satellite, but if cable turns out to be the better option than I will consider that as well.

We used to have Dish Network when we lived in New Jersey, but after moving back into Manhattan, we now have FIOS. I do miss my Dish though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)