Enhanced Hardware in the original Joey?

You pay $7 for any extra TV access you have with Dish regardless if it's an old 2700 receiver or a Joey so the equipment itself really doesn't matter, it's the access fee. I'd like to see the fee be less too but I just don't see Dish doing it.
Except for the 2nd SD output on some receivers. ;)

What does that mean? My 722 is going away?

Eventually. Obviously you will be able to keep yours for a long time yet but you won't be seeing it available for new customers. We're not even allowed to install 2 dual tuner receivers for new customers now unless the 2nd receiver is a 722. So if a customer cam in and wanted a 722 and 222 we would not be allowed to do it unless the customer purchased the 222. Instead we have to install a 722 an two 211 receivers. It's the same cost to the customer but it makes it harder for the installer because it requires 3 cable runs instead of 2. Not to mention that most people like to have at least one TV mirror which is a pain with a 211z.

He's probably saying there will soon be a charge for the 2nd output. :(

Nope. Basically your options as a new customer will be the Hopper system or 211 receivers. Now, this isn't going to happen in the next couple months but you will see it over the next year or two.

What does that mean? My 722 is going away?

Eventually. Obviously you will be able to keep yours for a long time yet ......

Don't tell him that, let him worry. We're trying to get him onto the Hopper and he wouldn't drink the Kool-Aid! So projections of impending DOOM are what we've fallen back to! ;)

Nope. Basically your options as a new customer will be the Hopper system or 211 receivers. Now, this isn't going to happen in the next couple months but you will see it over the next year or two.

That's pretty much what you see today on the website, as a new customer. Last time I looked as a potential custy, I couldn't find the ViP dual tuner series as an option. I only checked it out because someone here had posted that it was so.

I see my 722k as a timeless gem. It took what was already a groundbreaking HD DVR (622/722) and made it even better. It and the Hopper are the reasons I stick with Dish.

As far as compatibility is concerned, the 622/722 series are on par with Hopper. As long as the Hopper is the current gen, the ViPs will be right there with it. Hopper just took what the ViP started and made it even better. Just like the ViP did the same with the 522/625. So what if Dish doesn't make any more, if what you have works, then there is no need to be concerned. Only those with truly obsolete receivers need worry.

That's pretty much what you see today on the website, as a new customer. Last time I looked as a potential custy, I couldn't find the ViP dual tuner series as an option. I only checked it out because someone here had posted that it was so.

If you call Dish and tell them you have 4 TVs and want DVR they will sell you a Hopper and 3 Joeys. They won't even give you another option unless you ask for it.

Don't tell him that, let him worry. We're trying to get him onto the Hopper and he wouldn't drink the Kool-Aid! So projections of impending DOOM are what we've fallen back to! ;)
Krell and I should start a contest to see who holds out the longest.

I see my 722k as a timeless gem. It took what was already a groundbreaking HD DVR (622/722) and made it even better. It and the Hopper are the reasons I stick with Dish.

As far as compatibility is concerned, the 622/722 series are on par with Hopper. As long as the Hopper is the current gen, the ViPs will be right there with it. Hopper just took what the ViP started and made it even better. Just like the ViP did the same with the 522/625. So what if Dish doesn't make any more, if what you have works, then there is no need to be concerned. Only those with truly obsolete receivers need worry.

I like the 722 as well and it fits a lot of people's needs but you're sadly mistaken if you think the VIPs are right there with the Hopper. The Hopper has more advancements to it than the 722 has in total features alone. The only similarities they have are that they are multi-tuner HD DVRs and can use an OTA tuner. Dish does not want to keep these receivers around anymore. They know that it's getting to the point where the majority of people have multiple HDTVs in their home and they want HD programming on each of those TVs, the 722 is not a solution for that customer.

Like I said, I think the dual tuners are great and still have place but Dish is looking towards the future and there is no place for those receivers in their future. The changes have already been made and I can see what plans Dish has.

Note that I stated as far as compatibility is concerned. I mean that the ViPs will continue to function as long as the Hopper does.

Note that I stated as far as compatibility is concerned. I mean that the ViPs will continue to function as long as the Hopper does.

You're right, the receivers will be supported for a long time yet. They just will not be available for new installs.

That is correct. My whole point was if what you have works, why worry about whether or not they still install your machine?

One advantage the dual tuners have is for those with only 1 HDTV and maybe 1 SDTV. Hopper will jack up prices for those in that situation. $5-$12/Mo to be exact.

That is correct. My whole point was if what you have works, why worry about whether or not they still install your machine?

One advantage the dual tuners have is for those with only 1 HDTV and maybe 1 SDTV. Hopper will jack up prices for those in that situation. $5-$12/Mo to be exact.

They may keep the 722s going for years but if your 722 dies I wouldn't expect it to be replaced by another 722. Don't be surprised if they make you upgrade to the Hopper system.

They may keep the 722s going for years but if your 722 dies I wouldn't expect it to be replaced by another 722. Don't be surprised if they make you upgrade to the Hopper system.

They've been swapping 622s out for refurb 622s for years after the 622 was discontinued. I'd say we have another several years before we have that to worry about.

They've been swapping 622s out for refurb 622s for years after the 622 was discontinued. I'd say we have another several years before we have that to worry about.

I think that policy will change relatively soon. I'd be surprised if there were any non-Hopper, non-ViP211 series STBs out there five or so years from now.

Too much to be saved on code base, maintenance and repair, and training. PLUS the Hopper has features we don't even know about yet, merely hinted at, that may open new revenue streams for Dish.

They've been doing that because the 722 and 622 are considered the same family. What I'm saying is Dish wants to get away from the dual tuners altogether. What was done in the past is just that, the past. The future for Dish will be different and they are going to want everyone else taking that next step with them gradually.

Since all TVs sold are HDTVs, the current dual tuners no longer make sense having one HD output and one SD output.

"Hopper just took what the ViP started and made it even better."

I don't think so. I think it was a quantum leap in new capabilities. It is more like the 707 jet replacing the DC-3 with no steps in between.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts