Enhanced Hardware in the original Joey?

Since all TVs sold are HDTVs, the current dual tuners no longer make sense having one HD output and one SD output.

Exactly right. I think you would have to be in this business to actually see the push they are having towards the Hopper system and the lack of support towards the VIP equipment. If you in my shoes you would know what I'm talking about.

Well, opinions are opinions, I think I would know about the difference in the Hopper and the 722, since I have both in my possession. Perhaps Dish is pushing more toward the Hopper, maybe they won't replace dead 722s after all, and of course as usual that means more cost for customers.

Since all TVs sold are HDTVs, the current dual tuners no longer make sense having one HD output and one SD output.

Good point. As people age out, their kids don't want their old SDTVs, and certainly find it easier and maybe even cheaper to replace non functioning ones with HDTVs.

As people move, how many will want to take a CRT with them? Especially if they are moving into a smaller place.

TV purchases are slowing. However, they are ALL HDTVs, so the numbers of SDTVs are going in only one direction, down. I recall reading that most CRT TVs would usually last 7-20 years, depending upon if they had power surges (CRT sets are more likely to be damaged during a power surge due to the step up from the line voltage to the high voltage needed to run the CRT) and how much they were used, and was the brightness turned all the way up. If so, expect 5 years to half brightness. IOW, the number of SDTVs in the field can be expected to tank in a very few years, if it hasn't already. Businesses must plan ahead for such. They don't want to be the next version of being caught with a lot of 8 track and cassette tapes on hand when the CD hits the stores.

In comparison to the SD-only receivers, and the older QPSK receivers, the 722 is still miles ahead. I would think that Dish would be focusing on getting rid of those first. But as you can see, they are still swapping them for 512s and 311s, so why would they kill off the 722 first?

They haven't even bothered to make dpX LNBs yet, because they will be recycling DPP LNBs for years to come probably.

I think there are lotsa homes that still have the old TVs. The Hopper is awesome, but I think it should have included the home distribution system to support the older TVs. And it sure would be nice to have the two tuner OTA module built in like the VIP722. Feels like I kinda went backwards having to hang more components off of the Hopper like the one tuner OTA module and RF modulators for the old TVs.

This 722-bashing has got to stop. My receiver is great, even if it DOES have only one HD output and one SD output. The only complaint I have with it is there is no anamorphic widescreen output on TV2. :( If you convert an HD channel down to SD (e.g. look at the TV1 SD outputs) you get a pretty damn good signal which to my eye looks as good as a DVD. Do you object to watching DVDs on your HDTV? No? Well, that's what the 722 could do on it's TV2 output if only.

BTW, I have 6 total sat tuners and 3 total OTA tuners. What kind of Hopper system would that take? Cost me a fortune! Dish can have my 722 when they pry it out of my cold dead fingers.

If you call Dish and tell them you have 4 TVs and want DVR they will sell you a Hopper and 3 Joeys. They won't even give you another option unless you ask for it.

Which will work well for most customers. 4 TVs usually means 2 TVs used a lot, a couple TVs used occasionally. When the Super Joey is finally released, this will no longer be an issue. One Hopper, one Super Joey and 2 regular Joeys will satisfy almost all conditions of 4 TVs.

This 722-bashing has got to stop. My receiver is great, even if it DOES have only one HD output and one SD output. The only complaint I have with it is there is no anamorphic widescreen output on TV2. :( If you convert an HD channel down to SD (e.g. look at the TV1 SD outputs) you get a pretty damn good signal which to my eye looks as good as a DVD. Do you object to watching DVDs on your HDTV? No? Well, that's what the 722 could do on it's TV2 output if only.

BTW, I have 6 total sat tuners and 3 total OTA tuners. What kind of Hopper system would that take? Cost me a fortune! Dish can have my 722 when they pry it out of my cold dead fingers.
I don't need a like button, I need an Amen button.

"Dish can have my 722 when they pry it out of my cold dead fingers."

Come to the Hopper Side! The FORCE is stronger there!

Looks like the Joey 2.0 might be running a 900MHz chip. Far faster than the current 400MHz chip in the Joey 1.0.

This 722-bashing has got to stop. My receiver is great, even if it DOES have only one HD output and one SD output. The only complaint I have with it is there is no anamorphic widescreen output on TV2. :( If you convert an HD channel down to SD (e.g. look at the TV1 SD outputs) you get a pretty damn good signal which to my eye looks as good as a DVD. Do you object to watching DVDs on your HDTV? No? Well, that's what the 722 could do on it's TV2 output if only. BTW, I have 6 total sat tuners and 3 total OTA tuners. What kind of Hopper system would that take? Cost me a fortune! Dish can have my 722 when they pry it out of my cold dead fingers.

I'm not bashing the 722 at all. I would still have it at home if not for the Hopper and it's still our most used receiver for installs. All I'm doing is passing along the info I know based on changes Dish has made. I feel there is still a large market for customers that want a 722 and even a 222 but the writing is on the wall, Dish is forcing them out.

I've posted this on our retailer forum before and voiced my opinion how I think it's a mistake. Not only is not good for customers but it's not good for installers. Sometimes the best solution for a customer is a 722 that's mirrored to 2 extra TVs.

Which will work well for most customers. 4 TVs usually means 2 TVs used a lot, a couple TVs used occasionally. When the Super Joey is finally released, this will no longer be an issue. One Hopper, one Super Joey and 2 regular Joeys will satisfy almost all conditions of 4 TVs.

The customer that has 4 TVs and only watches 2 of them does not want a Hopper system, it's too expensive for what they watch. This customer is perfect for a 722 that's mirrored to the 2 extra TVs. A customer does not want to pay $14-$17 for 2 extra TVs they rarely watch. All they care about is the fact that they are able to watch something there.

I'm not bashing the 722 at all. I would still have it at home if not for the Hopper and it's still our most used receiver for installs. All I'm doing is passing along the info I know based on changes Dish has made. I feel there is still a large market for customers that want a 722 and even a 222 but the writing is on the wall, Dish is forcing them out. I've posted this on our retailer forum before and voiced my opinion how I think it's a mistake. Not only is not good for customers but it's not good for installers. Sometimes the best solution for a customer is a 722 that's mirrored to 2 extra TVs.

But will that still be the case in just a few years?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Nobody has come forward with the cost for a Hopper system replacement for my 722 and 2 612s... I pay the DVR fee for the 722, and two $10/mo fees for the 612's. The TV is zoomed on the TV2 output, which is extremely annoying, but it's on a rarely used TV we have in the basement. Too cold down there at this time of year anyhow.

Looks like the Joey 2.0 might be running a 900MHz chip. Far faster than the current 400MHz chip in the Joey 1.0.

Did you watch Scott's video in the Frontpage News post last nite? Super Joey sounds pretty nice. I hope you get one as soon as they are available so you can figure out how to blend this Super Joey in to three or more Hopper setups. You are good at figuring these things out. It all is too technical for me.

Nobody has come forward with the cost for a Hopper system replacement for my 722 and 2 612s... I pay the DVR fee for the 722, and two $10/mo fees for the 612's. The TV is zoomed on the TV2 output, which is extremely annoying, but it's on a rarely used TV we have in the basement. Too cold down there at this time of year anyhow.

So is this a 4 room setup for you? Looks like you're paying $27 in extra fees now. If I were you I would go with 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys, which is what I have now. The fees for that would be $38. You would have to determine if $11 more is worth it do get the extra features that the Hopper offers.

Did you watch Scott's video in the Frontpage News post last nite? Super Joey sounds pretty nice. I hope you get one as soon as they are available so you can figure out how to blend this Super Joey in to three or more Hopper setups. You are good at figuring these things out. It all is too technical for me.

I'm still deciding whether I want the SJ or just a plain J when I upgrade. Leaning toward a plain J.

So is this a 4 room setup for you? Looks like you're paying $27 in extra fees now. If I were you I would go with 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys, which is what I have now. The fees for that would be $38. You would have to determine if $11 more is worth it do get the extra features that the Hopper offers.

SWMBO might like the transfer to tablet feature. And Dish Anywhere. Certainly, to see anything on any Hopper from anywhere in the house must have some appeal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)