enhanced Locals

mdhef

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Anyone have any idea when Dish will start rolloing Enhanced locals to Edgar County In Illinois?

Significantly viewed local(Enhanced Locals) I live in the Champaign-Springfield DMA. I heard We will someday be able to get Terre Haute IN. locals along with the Cham.- Springfield Locals.

Got it, I had not seen that term before. I learn something new every day in this site. :)

You may want to do a search in the forum regarding "significantly viewed locals", there's been some discussion about it but nothing has been announced.

What are Enhanced Locals?
Recently Congress and the FCC established a list of stations from local markets that are “Significantly Viewed” in a neighboring market. This means that satellite carriers can, with the agreement of the television station, offer certain stations to certain counties that are outside of their Designated Market Area (DMA). DISH is very excited to be able to offer Significantly Viewed channels in these counties in a new Enhanced Locals Package offering. Customer’s who qualify for Enhanced Locals will have these channel(s) automatically added to their account at no extra charge. These channels can be found in the 6000 channel range in the Electronic Programming Guide

If you come across any dates or more info please keep me posted.

Dish has started rolling out the added channels to local packages based on the new FCC listing ( http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-05-187A2.pdf ). Schedule is not public, but I was just talking to a CSR and he said a few have already been implemented. Echostar is in the process of converting the FCC counties listing into associated zip codes--so that they can cross-reference to subs' physical addresses. The additions should be "automatic" without any action required by those of use who qualify.

rdinkel said:
Dish has started rolling out the added channels to local packages based on the new FCC listing ( http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-05-187A2.pdf ). Schedule is not public, but I was just talking to a CSR and he said a few have already been implemented. Echostar is in the process of converting the FCC counties listing into associated zip codes--so that they can cross-reference to subs' physical addresses. The additions should be "automatic" without any action required by those of use who qualify.
I am headed out to a service call in one of the effected counties..I'll post here if the addl chs have been added....

Did You Ever Make It Out To The Effected Counties? If So Do You Have Any Recent Updates On Significantly Viewed Channels?

Thanks

This lists stinks. Monmouth and Ocean County NJ are just about locked only into the New York Channels (Ocean County gets the ABC affiliate out of Philly only).

I live in Southeastern Monmouth county and Cablevision offers BOTH New York (42 miles away) and Philly stations (62 miles away). Meanwhile I'm prohibited from getting them. If cable gets them, satellite should get them. Where's the problem?

I guess I get to lose my UPN habit (StarTrek, etc), since Austin and the county (Williamson) that I live in doesn't have a UPN affliate :(.

LER

Does Anybody Know A Timetable For More Significantly Viewed Channels To Be Put Out By Dish. When You Call Dish You Usually Get An Individual That Acts Like Dish Does Not Keep Them Imformed Of The Fcc Rulings!!!!

I'm not to familiar with the details of the Significantly Viewed Channels subject. Does anyone know what the hold up is and what makes a channel(s) a significantly viewed channel(s). Sorry if this has been explained before but I'm just trying to find out more about it. It seems like it will be great for us satellite tv folks. The Atlanta DMA is my neighboring DMA and I know our local cable companies carry a few of their locals even though we aren't in Atlanta's DMA.

The main hold-up has to do with where Dish has the channels up in the sky. If you are in a market where the locals are at 110 or 119 and the area would qualify for SV channels that Dish has at 121 or 105, the answer to the question "Whwn will they be available" is more than likely NEVER! The reason, they do not want a bunch of people asking for free upgrades and getting pissed off when they can't get it.

On the other hand, if the person's locals are on 105/121 and the SV locals are on 110/119 there there is no problem since all locals subscribers in the area have the abilility to get all the channels.

Another hold-up might be spot-beam range. It could be that some areas that qualify for SV may not be able to get the channels from the neighboring market because the neighboring channel is on a spot beam that does not provide a good singnal to the area.

Finally what I think is the main reason for the hold-up in SV is the massive channel shuffle we are in for when E*10 makes it up to 110. Once this satellite is up and tested, you will see a ton of channels moving in the sky from one satellite to another. Once the plan is in place, the Dish will start with SV en force. At least that is my prognostication.

See the 6200 channel range on www.dishchannelchart.com to see the SV channels waiting in the wings.

See ya
Tony

BrettTRay said:
I'm not to familiar with the details of the Significantly Viewed Channels subject. Does anyone know what the hold up is and what makes a channel(s) a significantly viewed channel(s). Sorry if this has been explained before but I'm just trying to find out more about it. It seems like it will be great for us satellite tv folks. The Atlanta DMA is my neighboring DMA and I know our local cable companies carry a few of their locals even though we aren't in Atlanta's DMA.
Here is the FCC info:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-262022A1.pdf
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-05-187A2.pdf
Unfortunately, when you contact Dish trying to get a schedule for its implementation in your area they act as if they do not know what you are talking about.

Any Recent Updates On Significantly Viewed For Edgar Co. In Illinois????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)