Enigma2 alpha installed on Ultra

mr3p

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 1, 2010
West
After watching development proceed rapidly for Enigma2 on Azbox, I installed the most recent version which adds support for Ultra. Yes its alpha and not complete but the interface is fantastic and its much more responsive than the factory firmware. I have no particular experience with E2 so its all new but I now love my Azbox that much more. I'll try and take some screen shots but for now I'm just trying to learn my way around. Is it a coincidence that factory firmware development has halted and E2 firmware development is accelerating? Once completed, I think this is going to be a MAJOR upgrade for Azbox users.

Last edited:
I do want to add that the current version is definitely alpha and NOT ready for regular usage. Default satellite list is only euro birds so I have to learn how to add/delete sat list.

thats on the list. may be a while though... lol. I have to figure this thing out lots of options and config settings of with no defaults for north america. i tried to grab a screen shot with maz which of course didn't work. I can connect, see files on the box but thats about it. mediaplayer included with E2 is very slick. I can't figure out how to play files over the network so I may try it out with a USB drive.

you can replace the default satellites.xml in /etc/tuxbox to replace the euro list. you will also need to edit the boot file to enable some ntsc resolution. i was following the project at hxxp://www.azbox-enigma.eu but today i get 403 error. i think that 5020 is the last version we will see from opensat and enigma2 will be ware all the new development happens.

mr3p hows your sound ?

crackt out,.

Glad to know Enigma2 has gotten to this stage. Any of you actually watched TV channels with it?

I didn't have to make any mods enable video which is surprising. My video output defaulted to 720p which I would have thought is PAL although if so I would think my display would be functional. I much prefer the GUI and skin of the E2 alpha over factory firmware. The biggest obstacle is that I don't have any experience with a dreambox and satellite config setup is very different than what I'm used to. I did manage to send a NA satellite.xml file to the box which appears to be recognized although I probably need to redo as its current for Ku and the box is currently on my 6ft cband dish. About the best I've done so far is signal SQ on the meter ;) I'll plug in a USB drive to try out the mediaplayer for sound later today. From what I can tell, there isn't a blind scan option although somewhere I may have read it needs to be installed as a plugin.

well the default resolution is 720p @ 50hz. my home theatre can handle pal so it doesnt affect me much. after loading the new satlist i found the lnb settings to be very inclusive although the menu takes some time to get used to. i was able to watch every channel i attempted to although sound was hit and miss (its a known issue).

crackt out,.

well the default resolution is 720p @ 50hz.
There is a way to set that

I just finished recovering from E@, I thought is sucked, very incomplete
Issues I had...
1) No transponder in the Sat Setup Menu - nice when setting switch options
2) Did not see a Manual TP entry that would save after entering and scanning
3) Could not lock a CBS DVB-S2 TP on G28, AFN locked and scanned in fine, though I did not look to see if the channel played

Overall setup seems "complex" for Sat, Switch, and Motor setting, and "simple" for channels, but I only spent about an hour playing, and most of that was trying to Lock a DVB-S2 TP.
This is a whole different Operating System, has nothing to do with the AZBox Firm, so expect a few glitches - like the power button on the remote does not work. :)

Installing is a 2 part process, the usual boot with USB Stick connected, then run a small App in Windows that finishes the process.
Same with recovery.
I though I'd be smart and install on a spare DOM I have, and just switch it out when I was done, but it does not work that way, you must follow the recovery procedure.
I had a small glitch when recovering, and found that only the "patch.bin" firmware file can be on the USB Stick for recovery to work - no folders either.

So this is going to be the new operating system for the AZBox! Wonder how long it will be before a standard version comes out :confused:.in the mean while ill stand on the side lines and wait for any bugs or problems to be ironed out for i try it on the ultra.

So this is going to be the new operating system for the AZBox! Wonder how long it will be before a standard version comes out :confused:.in the mean while ill stand on the side lines and wait for any bugs or problems to be ironed out for i try it on the ultra.

this is someones attempt at porting enigma2 to the azbox. it does not appear to have anything to do with opensat. simply a team of reverse engineers and coders. the lack of any real release version (5020 is still a beta release) from opensat was depressing but its good to see some development happening by other sources. they are talking about making their source public too, which could benefit the azbox even more.

crackt out,.

I've had a chance to play with it a little bit and while I think it has great promise, its still definitely alpha. I'm still not completely familiar with the configuration options but I was able to get it somewhat working with USALS. At this point I'd have to say I prefer the LNB/satellite config setup menus of the factor firmware. There is doesn't appear to be a way to edit, add or delete sats or transponders unless I haven't figured out how. Blindscan also doesn't exist yet but I would think it will be added soon. Sound works but sometimes isn't there which I read is a known issue. The dish moving menus are somewhat quirky. On the plus side, channel changing is fast and I mean fast, like instantly. I'll go back to factory firmware for now but look forward to E2 development.

There is doesn't appear to be a way to edit, add or delete sats or transponders unless I haven't figured out how.
Most needs to be done using an Editor, uses the ".xml" format
You can manually enter TP options and Scan Channels, but that TP info does not get saved to the Sats TP list.

yep, that was pretty much what I found to be true. I use my blindscan heavily and need the ability to add/delete/modify my sats/transponders so I'll have to see what becomes possible after they add blindscan. Using the PC for editing is definitely nice but there should be some option for doing it onscreen as well.

Last edited:
Using the PC for editing is definitely nice but there should be some option for doing it onscreen as well.
You can enter a TP, scan channels, and watch - just that the TP does not show in the Sat's TP list - weird, but for feeds it really does not matter I guess.

Is there a way to enter and save a transponder or to delete ones onscreen without a computer

I installed the E2 into my Ultra. After swapping TVs to see anything I found this:
Doesn't support HDMI. And you have to have a Dreambox remote control to get results. The Ultra remote sucks with this firmware.
Once I set a settings to be saved, won't do it.
I am disappointed with this firmware. Maybe when the developers do find a way to make it work with the Ultra, then I will try again.
Now, how in the hell am I going to change back over to 5020?

With all I've read here there is only one choice for me, Pass!

Those of you who tried the E2 and went back on the original firmware, how did you do it? I am stuck on E2. I tried the steps mentioned in the thread on installing new firmware.
I would put the 5020 patch by itself in my USB stick and tried to get access to it by AZup 1.1 but it keep saying it can't go to rescue mode. I tried with both E2 and 5020 in the stick, all it does is reinstalling the E2. At the E2 menu, I can't figure out how to change the firmware. Something about software management.
Please help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)