Enigma2 'Fast DiSEqC', 'Use Power Measurement'

jwwbrennan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
Canada
Would someone please explain what commands 'Fast DiSEqC' and 'Use Power Measurement' under DiSEqC settings in Enigma2 Release 1.7.0 do and when they are applicable? I've had no luck searching including a document from Eutelsat describing the DiSEqC command set.

Jww,

Those are interesting options. Since I don't have Enigma installed, I don't know. But, I am quite curious.

I wonder if FAST DiSEqC has to deal with the step speed when initially searching for a sat or if it has to deal with slew speed when commanding the system to move from one sat to the next in TV viewing mode. You know that when you select a channel that is on a horizontal TP, 18 volts DC is applied to the motor to drive it. If the channel you select is on a vertical TP, only 13 volts is applied. Therefore, the motor drives to the new satellite faster when a horizontal signal is requested. I wonder if they programmed the system to apply 18 volts (in FAST DiSEqC mode) to make the dish drive to the new sat faster, regardless of what TP polarity was selected?

No idea about the power measurement feature. I wonder if it could have anything to do with monitoring the motor current, like for setting up the backlash adjustment?

Since these options are within the motor setup menu, I can only imagine that it must be related to some similar feature. Just off the top of my head, these are the things that I could see that would be a valued perk. I wonder what they are really for.

RADAR

Would someone please explain what commands 'Fast DiSEqC' and 'Use Power Measurement' under DiSEqC settings in Enigma2 Release 1.7.0 do and when they are applicable? I've had no luck searching including a document from Eutelsat describing the DiSEqC command set.

Hi jwwbrennan. I have tried multiple versions of E2 on my Premium Plus and could not get an exact answer either. Those terms are in previous versions also but I never used them. So I had to draw on my 30 years of electronics experience. I believe the fast diseq is for the actual time length of the diseq command sent from the tuner. for example is the length 100 milliseconds or one second? I think it is ( again just speculating here ) used if you have a real old Diseq switch that won't switch properly if the command length time is too short. As for the power measurement I think it is for the blind scanning of a sat when using USALS it looks at the signal C/N ratio to see if its locked on a sat.

RADAR,

Like you, I have thought of several potentials for the settings...like determining if the dish is moving east or west if at all and then reporting it back through software so I don't have to go down the stairs out the door, down the steps into the snow to see if the dish is moving. In an attempt to cure an intermittent motor problem I'll be replacing a 4X1 and a 22 KHz with a couple of Spaun switches (DiSEqC 2x1 Uncommitted SUR 211 F, DiSEqC 4x1 SAR 411 WSG) later this week or next so that may reveal something. I'll let you know if anything comes of it.

Thanks
Jim

Hi jwwbrennan. I have tried multiple versions of E2 on my Premium Plus and could not get an exact answer either. Those terms are in previous versions also but I never used them. So I had to draw on my 30 years of electronics experience. I believe the fast diseq is for the actual time length of the diseq command sent from the tuner. for example is the length 100 milliseconds or one second? I think it is ( again just speculating here ) used if you have a real old Diseq switch that won't switch properly if the command length time is too short. As for the power measurement I think it is for the blind scanning of a sat when using USALS it looks at the signal C/N ratio to see if its locked on a sat.

Doesn't that just make sense. It is also in keeping with the other hardware options like setting resend based on the switches in place. Ah well, I'll keep the boots by door in the winter.

Thanks,
Jim

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)