Enough With the Unwanted Phone Calls- Is My Only Way Out to Quit Dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Bank specific example of what I was talking about in the last post:

Banks now get reimbursed less for debit card purchases than they used to. Bank of America (the biggest bank) and several others used that decreased revenue as a rationale to impose a monthly fee for debit card use. When customers started quitting and others started to indicate their plans to quit due to the announcement, Bank of America reversed it's decision and decided not to charge for debit card use. If charges and stuff were directly tied to expenses, they wouldn't have reversed that decision. The reason they could reverse it was because they realized they'd make more money not having a debit card fee and keeping their customers than imposing a debit card fee and losing a lot of customers.

Just an aside about the general topic of the thread-

Didn't mean to offend anyone.

I'm just frustrated.

Nothing personal guys.

Yeah, I was mostly joking. The people I'm referring to are the ones that wait until they get their total from the cashier, and then dig into their purse/billfold looking for their checkbook...then they spend just as much time fumbling around for a pen, if the cashier doesn't have one handy. Then they have to fill out the entire check as if they didn't know the name of the store they were spending money at. Once they hand them the check, then they are asked for ID...lather, rinse, repeat. :) I understand the elderly component, but that isn't the demographic I'm referring to.

those people should be shot. Yep you're in line at the grocery store behind the old person who stands there and watches everything go by them down the belt....they're not bagging anything and they dont have the check written out. Then they do as the quote states but when they ask "now where am I" I usually say "YOU'RE IN CUB DAMMIT!" then they go down and start bagging their groceries in a nice neat order. UGH!!!

Thank god Cub now has self checkout.

those people should be shot. Yep you're in line at the grocery store behind the old person who stands there and watches everything go by them down the belt....they're not bagging anything and they dont have the check written out. Then they do as the quote states but when they ask "now where am I" I usually say "YOU'RE IN CUB DAMMIT!" then they go down and start bagging their groceries in a nice neat order. UGH!!!

Thank god Cub now has self checkout.
I've never liked you Ice, now I know why!!!!

Bank specific example of what I was talking about in the last post:

Banks now get reimbursed less for debit card purchases than they used to. Bank of America (the biggest bank) and several others used that decreased revenue as a rationale to impose a monthly fee for debit card use. When customers started quitting and others started to indicate their plans to quit due to the announcement, Bank of America reversed it's decision and decided not to charge for debit card use. If charges and stuff were directly tied to expenses, they wouldn't have reversed that decision. The reason they could reverse it was because they realized they'd make more money not having a debit card fee and keeping their customers than imposing a debit card fee and losing a lot of customers.

That's why you should use local banks and companies. Their costs should matter to you, because they will pass savings on to their customers. The national companies don't care about anything but the bottom line. That's the problem with the country today, nobody cares about the big picture. There is a reason why I use the local employee owned grocery stores instead of the national chains and I use the local or small regional banks. I get my car serviced at the local shop instead of one of the national chain stores. People need to start caring more and supporting their neighbors, i.e. the local business'. All these little things really do make a difference.

That's why you should use local banks and companies. Their costs should matter to you, because they will pass savings on to their customers. The national companies don't care about anything but the bottom line. That's the problem with the country today, nobody cares about the big picture. There is a reason why I use the local employee owned grocery stores instead of the national chains and I use the local or small regional banks. I get my car serviced at the local shop instead of one of the national chain stores. People need to start caring more and supporting their neighbors, i.e. the local business'. All these little things really do make a difference.

You know, in theory I think I might agree with you. However, in practice, when I give local places a shot, they are almost always more difficult for me to deal with than their national chain equivalent. Maybe it's just the town I live in. For a lot of reasons, I'd kind of like to move and start over somewhere different, but there are a lot of practical reasons why I can't.

I'll give you a couple brief examples of where local places have messed things up:

1. Some years back, I had an issue with water in my gas tank. Brought it into a local car mechanic. He said it'd be ready the next day. I called daily for a week asking when it would be ready, he always said the next day, so I always called back the next day and it wasn't ever ready. Turned out, when I started to press him on it, it was a one day repair job, but he had to empty the water logged gas to clean the system out and he only had once container to do it with, that was filled with someone else's gas, and which for some reason he couldn't get emptied. It was ridiculous. I said, just put it in whatever, he said it had to be an approved container. I said then buy them, you're an auto mechanic, sometimes you need to fix more than one car at a time.

Long story short, I had to buy him the containers and it took like a week and a half to get my car back -- the only car I had access to and desperately needed -- because he couldn't do a one day job in a day and didn't seem to have the resources to handle more than one car at once.

By contrast, I go to a national chain place for other car repairs and they often do them while I wait in their air conditioned/heated waiting room.

2. Oil changes. Jiffy Lube, you drive to the back entry gate, someone immediately meets you at your car takes your keys, you wait in a nice little room briefly, and then you're done. Never had a long wait. One of the local non-chain places I tried involved no one coming to greet me, me eventually parking, me walking into the place and someone saying "I'll be with you in a bit" and then coming back a half hour later only to tell me it'd be another 45 minute wait until he could even look at my car to change the oil.

3. Food wise- local places seem to have a longer wait, higher prices, and lower quality food than the national chains when it comes to lower end stuff like subs.

4. Bank wise, I'm hesitant to deal with a non-chain because you can't always find branches or ATMs when you are out of town. A big chain, you can, and you can thus get emergency situations resolved quicker just by walking in to the closest one if you're on the road, and avoid out of network ATM fees. And the local banks often have inferior online resources, no 24/7 number to call for support, idiosyncratic surcharges and ways of doing things, etc..

Might I switch banks someday? It's possible. But for now I like where I'm at. You see how much I complain about Dish at times. I'm not happy with much. But I love my bank. So, as someone who isn't happy with much, when I'm happy with something, I understandably tend to be pretty loyal to it unless it changes the way it does business or it's rates/fees. When you're unhappy with most companies and you find one you like in something, it's pretty exciting and not something you want to mess with too much. ;) Because if I were to switch, the odds are, I'd find something I didn't like about the next one.

I'd love to find the tv equivalent of my bank.

5. Food wise, the one local grocery store that's not a chain is more expensive than at least three other chain grocery stores in town.

6. Went to a vet who was really unprofessional (Long story). Really wish there were vet chains with upfront pricing and better policies.

I mean, I don't want to say local places are always bad and chains are always good. Obviously, that's not true. I really like my doctor, and he's a local guy (Well part of a small local chain, I guess). I've had service nightmares with national companies like Comcast at times. It's not universal.

But I just find with national places, you're more likely to have them act in a fairly standardized reasonably customer friendly way (By today's standards, anyhow), and give you costs up front. Local guys often have sort of eccentric ways of doing things, shock me with surprisingly big bills, don't always get stuff done in the time one would expect, and sometimes lack basic equipment they need to do basic things.

I don't know, in my heart, I want to support the mom and pop entrepreneur types and not the big corporate conglomerates, but it just seems like so few of the local places are any good, at least where I live. They've got to step up their game-- better service, higher competency ratios, lower prices, etc.-- and at least get to the point where they're even with national chains in terms of over all value, for me to start really considering them again.

Last edited:
Excuses. You have to ask around, see who your friends use etc.. or you do need to find a new place to live. It takes some work sometimes, to find the best places.

My cousins restaurant was featured on Good Morning Oklahoma this morning
Video Landing Page - KTUL.com - Tulsa, Oklahoma - Coverage You Can Count On
It is a very popular place that seats about 50 and has a steady flow of customers everyday except Sunday when its closed. It is one of the few places you can go and get a nice old fashioned meal at breakfast or lunch for $6.00 with drink. They keep a limited menu and have 2 daily specials. They probably do as much business selling cakes, pies and cobbler. BBQ, Italian, Oriental,Mexican it doesn't matter there are very good affordable family owned places all around town. This is just in Broken Arrow, downtown Tulsa has two districts that are all local family owned places that have made a lot of national places to visit lists. The national chains do most of their business from out-of-towner's that don't know any better.

I'm sure there is more than one mechanic around. I have two I use. I use a local place two blocks from my house for oil changes. They meet you out front and have my truck done in 20 minutes. They vacuum it out, clean the windows, top off all the fluids, check the tires and give me a free wash to the car wash next door (which I can't use, because they are competition to my sisters car wash down the street).

Oklahoma is farm and ranch country, so we have a lot of fresh foods right here in state and those are usually found cheaper at the local stores and are not even carried at the chains. Now some of the national brand stuff may be more expensive because the local guy is not buying the bulk a national chain buys, but it usually doesn't add up to more than a few dollars for the entire bill.

My bank refunds any atm fees I might incur. So far I have never had to use any out of network atm's, so that's not a problem.

Excuses. You have to ask around, see who your friends use etc..

My friends don't live in my immediate area because most of the people in that area and I have a significant culture clash going on (To say the least, I've had threats of physical violence against me by people with criminal records, and tenants who have physically tried to destroy my apartment from their apartment above because of a pending eviction, trying to get back at the landlord by destroying the building, and the cops do nothing because they are local yokel good old boys.). Yeah, not my type of place. I've been there like 5-6 years and was basically sick of it the second I set foot there, but stayed there because I have some very unique circumstances.

I'm actually almost semi in-hiding staying elsewhere temporarily because things got so heated with the people above me with back and forth "pranks" and shouting matches and such, that my friends and relatives begged me to leave before someone put a bullet in the back of my head or I punched someone in the face and wound up in jail myself. If it were the Old West and duels were legal, I'd have challenged them a long time ago. ;) But they're basically scum and they know exactly how to work the system to their advantage and know I can't really touch them. I did a few things to get back at them, though, that were legal or close enough to legal that at most I would have faced a fine, and they lost a few nights of sleep over it, at least. But basically my hands are tied.

I'll be back, though, and they'll be evicted, if the constable ever gets around to doing it. It's ridiculous, they had a judge's order from a court appearance they no-showed ordering them out by x date, and then they didn't leave by that date, started to destroy property and make threats, and then the cops threw up their hands and said "Nothing we can do.". The whole city is a joke. Worst city I've ever lived in. I told the cops when I turned up dead, they'd know who to charge.

Apparently when a judge orders you out by a certain date, you can just say "Eh, I'm not leaving" and then a constable has to come by and boot you, but even he can't just boot you, he needs to give you like 10 days notice beyond the date the judge set. And then he doesn't work weekends, so it's really like 12-13 days unless he gets a cold or a stomach ache and needs to push it back again. ;)

And these are not the sort of people you'd sympathize with them being evicted. They have enough money to pay the rent, they just don't because they spend it all on crack. They weren't even legal tenants in the first place, when the last guy with a real lease left, he said he was leaving a few days early and leaving a few buddies behind for the last couple days to clean the place up, and that they'd be gone when the least expired. Guess what? They just stayed. A few weeks later, the landlord had enough and asked them to leave, they just said no to his face. A few months pass, no rent, no formal agreement for them to be living there, and the landlord writes them a letter saying vacate in 30 days- they respond by getting in his face and screaming at him. Then he agrees to formally let them stay (Over my strong objections). Of course, they still don't pay rent. Finally he saw a little money, but it stopped again quickly. And during the time they stayed they trashed a shared yard, held loud parties that even distant neighbors complained about, and God knows what the inside of their apartment looks like and how that'll cost to repair. They tried to flood my apartment with toilet water, one day I just found water coming down from the celing in two separate rooms, and it wasn't nice clean water.

These people are just absolute scum. If there were a just God in this world, lightning would have hit them a long time ago.

or you do need to find a new place to live.

Trust me, I'm strongly considering it. The problem is, in that area due to an in with a landlord, I can get an apartment to myself at a very affordable rate. If I moved, I'd be paying more to split the same type of apartment 2-3 ways with roommates (And I don't do very well with roommates- you know how annoyed people get with me on forums and how annoyed I get with them? Imagine living with me. ;) It's better for everyone that I live alone. I enjoy hanging out with some friends every once in a while, but I like hanging out with them and then going home by myself- unless one is a pretty woman, then I'll make a temporary exception. ;) ). And I've got a large dog who I consider family now, which further limits my options (A lot of apartments simply don't allow pets, or have a size limit, or come with roommates who won't tolerate large pets). So, it's hard to justify that to myself- roommates and having less discretionary money would tick me off more than living in a city I consider a hell hole. Life's all about choices, I guess. ;)

It's got an odd effect, because on the one hand I am getting this great deal, but on the other hand it essentially traps me in a city I don't want to live in, because the second I leave I lose the deal, which I can't really replicate. The second I move, I could forget even having television or anything like that. So I get even poorer in terms of money I have left beyond the rent, and I am already poor enough that it makes me uncomfortable.

I gotta tell you, life basically sucks. Which part of why I get so animated when a company I pay starts with harassing phone calls and stuff. I sacrifice to pay that bill and really don't need the actually hassle. Even a small hassle. I got enough real hassles. I don't need any extra stuff to deal with.

Last edited:
Related, I'm sure.

But post 72 does help explain a lot.

I remember as a JO in the Navy, trying to get my guys to control their tempers. They did not accept that it was their responsibility. Blamed the other person for angering them. Couldn't see that they were just giving that other person power over them. Not an exact analogy here, but there's something in there.

Boy has thread gone down hill...
1. Most grocery andbig box stores have amachine that writes the check. Takes just as much time as processing a debit/credit card.
2. If you are in a hurry to check out go to self check out if the store has it otherwise be patient.
3. Many mom and pop businesses prefer checks or cash. Transaction fees for card use are killing them.
4. Not everyone under 60 or even 50 has a computer smartphone or internet access. Plenty of folks that can't afford it. True there ia the public library but hoirs amd availability vary from town to town
5. Bottom line is there is no one size fits all solution.
6. Back to the original post...if the OP is paying on time no phone call is necessary.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

This whole thread is 1 big pee match. Regardless prepay accounts are different and customers should have the option to opt out of the courtesy reminders if they choose.

I remember as a JO in the Navy, trying to get my guys to control their tempers. They did not accept that it was their responsibility. Blamed the other person for angering them. Couldn't see that they were just giving that other person power over them. Not an exact analogy here, but there's something in there.

I see what you're saying here. And it's a good point to some degree. Getting angry a lot can lessen the quality of life for the person who's getting angry, and sometimes even cause more trouble for him or her. So, I try to let the little things go when I can (I'm Irish, though, so it isn't always easy).

There's a flip side to that equation, though, which is one takes shrugging things off to too much of an extreme, the repressed feelings can cause pain, too, and sometimes it encourages whatever unwanted behavior is the problem. Like, take the situation with the neighbors mentioned in post 72, things started getting that bad because I was letting stuff go for a long time, being very polite and friendly to them, ignoring the loud parties they threw that kept me up at night and the trash in my yard that my dog was eating and could have made him sick, trying to go along to get along, and despite that, they gradually just kept upping things until they were destroying my home intentionally to get back at the landlord. That's the way a lot of bullies work. You give an inch, they take a mile. You start fighting back, they back down.

One of my big regrets in life was being bullied as a child. Eventually, when this stuff was going on daily with the same kids, instead of waiting till they had something planned and vastly outnumbered me and threw the first punch, I should have found the regulars, isolated them, and bashed a few heads into lockers the next day. I think they would have respected that and backed off. Instead I made myself a victim by refusing to fight back, and went through years of hell that could have been avoided and will never completely be emotionally be resolved for me (Because, obviously, they are now adults, and I would never confront someone about stuff they did when they were young and immature- they aren't the same people anymore). But I really should have done something at the time.

So, yeah, I see your point. Someone does something little to me occasionally, I try to let those things go. Getting angry and holding onto it over small stuff doesn't do me any good, and also may not be entirely fair to the people doing the stuff, who may just have been having a bad day or whatever. But when people go balls to the wall after you, at some point, anger can be justifiable, and you have to fight back, because to do anything else would be cowardly and set yourself up for more victimization. I mean, there is a line that gets crossed at some point.

Okay, enough about the neighbors and back to television. You're right, anything that happens with TV is the small stuff. Not worth getting angry over. And I'm not really truly angry over it, beyond the little hints of anger it takes to type up a post or two about something. Actually, I like Dish. I want to be able to continue as their customer. But I don't need the extra aggravation of unwanted phone calls and stuff long-term. If I can't find a way around that that I'm happy with, long-term, I'll switch providers when my contract is up. Which, you know, is fine with me in the grand scheme of things. Whatever. But I think talking about it here at least lets them know some customers aren't happy with it. So, when they look at their financial reports and wonder about customer churn, they won't have to be puzzled, they'll know that some of it is from customers who are unhappy about the harassing phone calls and on-screen notices over bills that aren't overdue.

My thought is that with big companies, if you're unhappy and may switch, it's good to just in a friendly way tell them why. If enough people tell them about it, maybe they will change how they do things to something people dislike less. Or, if nothing else, maybe someone like me who would have an issue with this and is looking into Dish will see this thread today and decide not to subscribe, so I've done that person a favor and saved him or her some aggravation.

I think if I had done more research or heard about some of this stuff with Dish in advance, I would have called Directv first instead and seen what they could offer me. At the time, I had no Internet and could only look things up on the library wifi or whatever, though, so I couldn't scout out too much stuff. Hopefully, I'm helping the next person find the tv experience most suitable for him or her, though.

Like if Dish would either change their policy, or if I help prevent someone from picking Dish if they'll be unhappy with it, than it'll have been worth posting the thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)