Enterprise on HDNET vs. SciFi

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Tomorrow (Tuesday) they are showing the first 3 episodes of Season 4 from 5pm CT to 8pm CT on Sci-Fi and SGA looks really amazing in HD.

.... Sci Fi was never really ready to go HD ... Under pressure to go HD, but not really ready to do it right. Lets see.... TNT, A&E, Sci Fi... Cartoon Network (with reports of nothing really in HD); CNN with only its New York Studio in HD; and on and on.... We get spoiled by channels like Discovery, HDNET, Science, Nat Geo, which broadcast good HD.

On SPEED's message board the folks who work for SPEED posted ad nauseum on the subject. Their story was that D* came along and offered them an HD channel assignment that D* wold host until SPEED bought and installed its own HD equipment. SPEED said no, that was an expense SPEED was not prepared for, but D* launched the channel anyway. That left SPEED scrambling to set up HD transmission equipment before it could even think about installing HD filming facilities. Plus, the 2008 schedule did not have the rights on any HD programming. SPEED freely admits it has little true HD content.

The SciFi message boards have insiders telling pretty much the same story.

I had posted this question before and I was given a solution to try and fix it but it hasn't worked.

When I watch Enterprise on HDNET I get a weird rippling effect with faces. I have tried tinkering with contrast and things, but no luck. on the SD Enterprise on SCIFI HD, I do not have that issue. I have a sony bravia (not the XBR). I know this may be more of a technical question, but I did my testing the other night with HDNET Enterprise vs SCIFI HD Enterprise.

Any thoughts? I think I seem to notice it more when watching TV with the lights off, but i have yet to sit down with a clipboard and a lab coat and do real research.

Thanks!

Would you call the rippling effect a moire?
What resolution are you outputting from your receiver and what resolution is your tv?

Would you call the rippling effect a moire?
What resolution are you outputting from your receiver and what resolution is your tv?

After looking up moire, I would say that it is kind of like the pics I saw on wikipedia, but it isn't a constant ripple.

To answer the 2nd part the receiver is at 1080i and the tv is 1080p.

I don't recall seeing it on BSG in HD.

Thanks

Without knowing your particular model, I found this info that might help you:

We also tested the Sony's 1080i de-interlacing using the HQV HD DVD, and while it passed the test for video sources, like most TVs it failed the test for film-based sources. As a result we saw moire in the upper deck of the football stadium during HQV's pan, but we didn't notice the issue with the program material.

We've complained in the past about Sony's Digital Reality Creation processing wreaking havoc on standard-def sources, but there's no mention of DRC in the KDL-46S3000's menu system, and the set did a very good job with the standard-def material we tested. Displaying the HQV DVD connected via component-video at 480i, the Sony showed every line of resolution from the color bar tests, and rendered the detail test--with its grass and distant shot of a stone bridge--quite sharply. We were even more impressed by the Sony's ability to smooth out jagged edges from moving diagonal lines and the stripes of a waving American flag. We also appreciated the range of noise reduction controls, which were quite effective--about on par with the Samsung LN-T46651F--at cleaning up the moving motes of noise from the disc's many shots of skies, sunsets, and flowers. The Sony also engaged 2:3 pull-down quickly and effectively, removing the lines of moire from the grandstands, although it was a split-second behind the Samsung. All of these tests were conducted with the CineMotion setting at Auto; we found no reason to turn it to Off.​

After looking up moire, I would say that it is kind of like the pics I saw on wikipedia, but it isn't a constant ripple./quote]

I dont know if its the same thing but from time to time parts of the picture seem to swim. Generally its on the borders of different objects in the picture. Its sorta subtle but I tend to notice these kinds of things. Since it happens on some DVDs as well I can only guess its the TV. But I dont know why.

Who knows, maybe its my eyes. :shocked

thanks for the advice I will give it a shot. I was wondering if it had something to do with p vs i. I use an upconvert dvd player and there is no issue there, so who knows.

If it doesn't fix it I could just get hammered before I watch the show and then either I won't notice it or I will be too drunk to care.

Thanks again

thanks for the advice I will give it a shot. I was wondering if it had something to do with p vs i. I use an upconvert dvd player and there is no issue there, so who knows.

If it doesn't fix it I could just get hammered before I watch the show and then either I won't notice it or I will be too drunk to care.

Thanks again
Let me know if you see anything different. Who knows...

I had posted this question before and I was given a solution to try and fix it but it hasn't worked.

When I watch Enterprise on HDNET I get a weird rippling effect with faces. I have tried tinkering with contrast and things, but no luck. on the SD Enterprise on SCIFI HD, I do not have that issue. I have a sony bravia (not the XBR). I know this may be more of a technical question, but I did my testing the other night with HDNET Enterprise vs SCIFI HD Enterprise.

Any thoughts? I think I seem to notice it more when watching TV with the lights off, but i have yet to sit down with a clipboard and a lab coat and do real research.

Thanks!
I have the same "facial problem" with Enterprise on HDNet with my Sony, 1080p, non-XBR Bravia, LDC, 46". It is about one year old. I think I have noticed this same condition on other shows as well and, to a lesser extent, on SD shows of Enterprise.

So, Tlee have you just learned to live with it, or were you able to come up with a work around?

I think that we most likely have the same model TV.

Thanks

I have the same "facial problem" with Enterprise on HDNet with my Sony, 1080p, non-XBR Bravia, LDC, 46". It is about one year old. I think I have noticed this same condition on other shows as well and, to a lesser extent, on SD shows of Enterprise.

wow!

i thought that was a spatial anomaly in the expanse!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)