EPGs with FTA receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

B.J.

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Western Maine
One of the frequently asked questions is why the EPG functions don't work on these FTA channels, and the stock answer is generally that 99% of the FTA channels up there don't have any EIT info on the MUX, so there just isn't anything to display.

Well today, I was surfing around looking at signals with TSREADER, and I noticed that the Lousianna PBS transponder on AMC21 has a fully loaded EIT, with about 12 hours of data included. This is rather unusual for FTA channels. Many have an EIT stream, but they are usually empty or just say program or something generic. But the LPB MUX has nice programming detail.
HOWEVER, my Diamond 9000, which is what I generally use for Ku viewing, does not show any programming info when I hit the EPG button. :mad: I don't know if it's because my Diamond is one of those that was messed up by the previous owner putting the bad pirate firmware on it, or if it is because the EIT on LPB is in a different format, since the LPB MUX seems to be in ATSC mode. The Diamond 9000 EPG doesn't work on OTA ATSC channels either.

Anyway, I'm curious whether people with other receivers, particularly those with Coolsat 8000/8100 receivers can get EPG data on LPB? If the EPG works on the Coolsat, I might be tempted to put my 8100 back into service. I haven't used it since I got my Azbox.

I'm also curious whether the Azbox has an EPG function that works. I know that it has an EPG function that you have to hit that menu button to get into, but I've never tried it, and since my Azbox is currently only connected to C-band, I can't try it on the LPB signal without some extensive coax switching. So I'd appreciate anyone with an Azbox on Ku trying out the LPB signal to see if the EPG works.

Mainly just curious, but it would be handy to have a working PBS EPG on one channel at least.

And BTW, that LPB channel has been very strong for me lately, and has NOT gone away at night as other people have reported. I generally don't watch it at night, because I generally just tune in the 12140 signals on my Twinhan, but last night there was different programming on LPB, so I was watching it, and it stayed strong. So I'm not sure what the issue is with the footprint elsewhere at night.

EDIT: I just noticed that the Diamond 9000 EPG DOES work on FTA Dishnet channels, so my Diamond must have been messed up by the dumb 131p firmware the previous owner put on it.

Last edited:
Are you asking why there is no EPG for FTA channels?

The EPG is usually added by the "Provider" - DishNet, Direct, ...

I think you must have pulled up my message while I was editing out a typo, and only one line came up, because somehow my post came up as a duplicate one with the complete post, and then one with your response, with only the first part of the first sentence, which is what I was editing at the time. Weird.
I just copied over my actual post over from the other thread. I'll try to delete the other, but if it is responded to while doing that, I'll probably end up with 3 duplicates? Weird.

Anyway, No, that wasn't my question, which you'll see if you see the whole message. :)

Several FTA channels carry EPG formatted for directly supporting their ATSC terrestrial broadcasts. This data is not DVB compatible and not displayed by DVBS set top boxes, but can be viewed with TSReader. Another example that comes to mind is 3ABN on AMC4.

Several FTA channels carry EPG formatted for directly supporting their ATSC terrestrial broadcasts. This data is not DVB compatible and not displayed by DVBS set top boxes, but can be viewed with TSReader. Another example that comes to mind is 3ABN on AMC4.

Thanks. The ATSC answer was one of the things I thought might be the reason, but since the Diamond does OTA ATSC too, I thought that it SHOULD be capable of it, but I guess not. I knew it couldn't do it when viewing local channels, but was hoping that it might work in sat mode.
Yeah, I was using TSREADER when I noticed that it had a well stocked EIT, so perhaps that's the best way to read the thing. Actually I do most of my recording with TSREADER anyway, since I do most of my recording via TSREADER anyway. TSREADER's EPG works pretty good for recording. Only problem is sometimes if a transponder is slow to lock, the recording doesn't start. But yes, I think TSREADER is the way to go.
I just tried it though, and I'm having problems getting scheduled recordings to work with this EPG for some reason. I use it on OTA and manually on DVB channels all the time, but this is the first time I've tried it on a DVB-S2 EPG before. I'll keep trying.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)