Episode numbers out of order

bwexler

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
San Marcos, CA
Lately it seems as we approached the season finale many shows had the episode numbers out of sequence. I almost missed several finale because of this. I would all episodes listed as viewed than one would show up 4 or 5 from the bottom. I assumed I must have watched it and system neglected to mark it as viewed. WRONG!
Now I check the dates more carefully and check before I archive the series to my EHD.
Very confusing and frustrating until you get the hang of it.
is this the network, the guide or Dish shuffling the episode numbers?

Yeah it's the fault of Tribune. They have episode numbers messed up on many TV shows and it's very frustrating.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The episode numbers are generally a good guide to the order but...
I've had higher episode numbers before the season finale.
it would be "nice" if we could sort by First Aired date as this is a more reliable ordering.

If in doubt, compare to IMDb episode list by names as it has episode numbers only within each year.

I wish Dish would not put Info's Episode number in dark blue on the translucent screen.
It is hard to see on many backgrounds. The opaque background (2nd Info) interrupts viewing.

Why can't we have more refined timing than 5 minutes as most stations don't do that well?

-Ken

I don't have a Hopper yet, so I'm a bit confused. Are you all saying that the Hopper DOESN'T sort by time recorded, like the ViP DVRs?

The Hopper offers several choices.
sort by DVR time.
sort by episode number
folders
no folders
sort by nam A to Z

this would all be a great improvement if the data source was accurate.

In addition to this problem the current guide seems to round show times to the nearest 5 minute intervals. For example, AMC ran some back episodes of Mad Men Sunday night. The shows prior to the 10:00PM new episode started at odd times like 6:47PM and 7:52PM (not exact times). The AMC website showed these times but the Dish guide had them on 5 minute slots. This causes me to use the 2 minute start/end extensions, which leads to using extra tuners during overlaps, recording conflicts etc.

Wow, so another feature was removed from the ViPs (sort by date).

Sort by date (date show was recorded) is on the Hopper. I think it was worded differently in another post, but that feature is available.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Sort by date (date show was recorded) is on the Hopper. I think it was worded differently in another post, but that feature is available.
Well, then it appears that something was eliminated..."sort by DVR time" could mean either time it was recorded, or DVR length. Whichever one that means, then the other one is no longer an option, unless that post is wrong.

I'm glad to hear that sorting by recording date is still there. What's puzzling me now is why anybody would sort by episode number, since the numbers aren't guaranteed to be sequential. It doesn't even have to do with Tribune's notorious inaccuracy in a lot of cases -- sometimes, the studios shoot them out of order and number them in order of shooting.

I'm glad to hear that sorting by recording date is still there. What's puzzling me now is why anybody would sort by episode number, since the numbers aren't guaranteed to be sequential. It doesn't even have to do with Tribune's notorious inaccuracy in a lot of cases -- sometimes, the studios shoot them out of order and number them in order of shooting.
Probably for older shows (syndication) that are often shown out of order. Also, unless I'm missing something, the 'DVR Date' sort is descending, and the 'Episode #' sort is ascending...

Probably for older shows (syndication) that are often shown out of order.
Nah, even for new current shows. The episode numbers tend to follow the production date, which in many cases isn't the air date chronology. I've seen new shows that air in order like 1-2-5-6-3-4-7.

Nah, even for new current shows. The episode numbers tend to follow the production date, which in many cases isn't the air date chronology. I've seen new shows that air in order like 1-2-5-6-3-4-7.

I should have said 'Probably more for older shows...'. My daughter records some older series on ABC Family and the episode numbers seem to work pretty well for the most part, and is definitely a better sort option for an older series like that than 'DVR Date'.

As long as we're dependent on the accuracy of the guide data, neither option is perfect....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)