Epix & Dish in Talks

trumanhorn

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Missouri
If Dish wants to continue to attack DirecTV, they should immediately sign to carry Viacom's new premium channel Epix at launch (now that DirecTV has officially passed on doing so). Then, they should market themselves as "the official satellite carrier" of Epix--and by extension, the only place on satellite you can see movies like "Iron Man" in HD.

If I were Dish I would hop on it and quickly.

While DirecTV is the sports leader, Dish is the HD Movie Channel leader.

Could be a great way to promote their Differences with DirecTV.

Agreed. Especially since D* has announced they "have no interest" in adding more premium channels.

I wonder if this "no interest" transfers to not having any interest in adding additional HBO and Cinemax channels and HD feeds? That is the main reason I switched back to Dish Network, for HBO multiplex HD feeds, HBO Comedy and HBO Zone and the two extra Cinemax multiplex channels.
Dish Network is already way ahead of DirecTV when it comes to premium movies, they carry HBO Comedy, HBO Zone, ActionMax, 5StarMax, Showtime Beyond, TMC Xtra E&W, and Starz Cinema that DirecTV does not carry.
DirecTV currently seems to have the "winning formula" however, if they continue to neglect other markets besides those interested in sports the strategy could backfire.

I would like to point out that I agree with Scott's consensus on Dish and premium/movie channels. I do not know why Dish does not try to market the fact that they are indeed the DBS HD movie channel leader.
Dish is kind of like the ugly girl in school, that someone actually helps to fix up before the prom :) They have a lot going for them, they just dont know how to show it off.

The more likely response at E* headquarters, though?!?

"Direct isn't carrying it...we dont need to bother either!"

The more likely response at E* headquarters, though?!?

"Direct isn't carrying it...we dont need to bother either!"
You beat me to it. And since when does E* go out there and grab a channel right when it launches?

If you want Iron Man in TRUE HD and not HD-Lite, I'd just rent the blu ray for $1 at a Red Box kiosk(HD-Lite is why I don't care much about premiums)

problem is that viacom does not want epix to be a premium movie channel. they want it packaged in basic programming along their main channels.

they want a 1.50 per subscriber for epix. and thats less then they wanted originally. but once they get it in there, they will then want more, and probably let it lead to disputes with carriers.

everyone on here complains when the bill goes up. and it will, as dish would have to mark up that 1.50 to cover carriage cost.

Dont know why E* couldn't start a series of commercials outlining their superiority in the HD movie arena compared to anyone else (with E*, we get 23 HD movie premiums [if you count MGM - which has gone to inserting a promo break in the middle of their movies], and can only get 5 from Time Warner Austin). Tie it into 'the economy' and how you can get all of the movie premiums all day long all month lonng for less than what it costs two people (a couple) to go the movies ONCE with 2 sodas, a bag of popcorn, juju bees, and a junior mints.

i wonder how long until viacom decides to make it a reality tv show channel? and do you think this channel would make it to the turbo subs?

Movie lovers do Blu-ray or DVD and Netflix/Redbox not satellite/cable and movie channel premiums.

That's why.

Also, let me know when I can surf through 25 or so HD movie channels (using Blu-Ray of course) and pick out a movie at 12:00 in the morning when I want to find something to watch.
I have 3 Blu-Ray players and have nothing against the format, it is excellent, but it does not and never will offer the convience of being able to surf through HD movie channels. Of course, maybe I am old skool as they say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts