EPIX3

Dish has been known for calling SD channels HD in the past....

Really? And exactly when and what channels. I sure don't remember that.

I do remember when some programmers started calling their channel 'in HD' when they had no HD on it. That wasn't Dish's doing.

Anyone ever find a schedule for Epix2 on the Epix website? I can't find one. TitanTV is the online guide I use now (way more customizable than Zap2it and no promos to skip) and it has Epix2 listings...very handy, but not so much so for looking at what's coming up in the next few days...

As for Epix3...if it's not in HD, what's the point?

I'm guessing that only a small portion of their 15,000 movie titles have been converted to HD. Epix 3 allows them to go deeper into their collection and show movies that aren't HD ready yet. Some HD only viewers might not like it, but many movie lovers will be happy even though it's SD only.

THE 3 FROM EPIX DEBUTS ON DISH NETWORK

DISH Network First to Offer New Movie Channel from EPIX
Englewood, Colo. – Aug. 16, 2010 – DISH Network today announced the launch of The 3 from EPIX, a new movie channel dedicated to celebrating popular films from the '70s, '80s and '90s to present.
Designed for passionate movie fans and drawing on the deep libraries of EPIX's studio partners, The 3 from EPIX offers an unedited lineup of time-tested favorites like Raiders of the Lost Ark, Rocky, Top Gun and The Terminator. Other programming includes eclectic genre fare such as "chop sockey" movies from the '70s; teen coming-of-age comedies from the '80s; and wilder, edgier late night features hosted "Shock Theater" style - all packaged with original trailers from these time periods.
"Providing our customers with an unmatched in-home movie experience at the best value is a top priority, and we are excited to expand our movie offerings to include titles from the broad EPIX film library," said Dave Shull, senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network.
"We are pleased to have a partner in DISH Network that is committed to providing expanded access to great entertainment for all viewers. The launch of The 3 from EPIX on DISH Network underscores our efforts to bring more entertainment choices to consumers, wherever they are viewing," added EPIX President and CEO Mark Greenberg.
The 3 from EPIX is located on DISH Network channel 292 and is available free to customers who subscribe to America's Top 250 and above. DISH Network also offers EPIX and EPIX 2 as part of the HD Platinum package. For more information on DISH Network, including HD Free for Life, visit www.dish.com.
# # #​
About DISH Network
DISH Network L.L.C., a subsidiary of DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ:DISH), provides more than 14.3 million satellite TV customers, as of June 30, 2010, with the highest quality programming and technology at the best value, including HD Free for Life. Subscribers enjoy the most national HD channels, the most HD local coverage in the U.S., the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology including the ViP 922, the world's only DVR with built-in Sling functionality. DISH Network is first in Customer Satisfaction among all cable and satellite providers according to the 2010 American Customer Satisfaction Index survey results for the U.S. largest cable and satellite TV providers. DISH Network Corporation is included in the Nasdaq-100 Index (NDX) and is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.
About EPIX
EPIX, a joint venture between Viacom Inc. (NYSE: VIA and VIA.B), its Paramount Pictures unit, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. (MGM) and Lionsgate (NYSE: LGF), is a next-generation premium entertainment channel, video-on-demand and online service. EPIX provides a powerful entertainment experience with more feature films on demand and online and more HD movies than any other service. It is the only premium service providing its entire monthly line-up of new Hollywood titles, classic feature films, original series, music and comedy specials through the linear channel, video-on-demand and online. EPIX has made the commitment to deliver the industry's most expansive online collection of movies, making more than 3,000 titles available to subscribers this year. The service is available to over 30 million homes nationwide through carriage agreements with Verizon FiOS, DISH Network, Cox Communications, Mediacom Communications, Charter Communications and NCTC. For more information about EPIX, go to www.EpixHD.com.
Source: Dishnetwork Press Release

That's part of the problem. We have all been sold on the new tv's & the truth is sd looks just fine on a standard tv.......Until everything is recorded & broadcast in hd it still is worthwhile to have a standard set or 2 in the house.

In the case of epix I just wonder how long before it becomes a stand alone movie pkg. Time will tell.....:cool:

SD looks fine on a old SD tube TV. On a HDTV even a small 32" like mine SD looks brutally bad.
If the SD signal is all that bad, then how can it "look fine on an old SD tube TV"? Answer IMHO is that it's not all that bad, but some HDTV sets do indeed make it look pretty awful. I returned a Sylvania 32" set because I had to fiddle with the adjustments differently on every channel before I could bear to watch it. (It was hooked up to a 501 at the time.) The Vizio I replaced it with does just great without fiddling, and it looks at least as good as the tube TV it replaced, even though the viewable area at 4:3 is greater.

The reason I knew I could do better was because I had a 42" Westinghouse hooked up to a 625 for awhile, and it's picture was gorgeous. Westinghouse is known for great scalers. If you have an HD receiver, you can compensate for crappy scalers in the TV by letting the HD receiver upscale. Not necessary for my HDTV's, but it might have saved that crappy Sylvania from the bargain bin!

Last edited:
Correct. SD looks fine on a old SD tube TV. On a HDTV even a small 32" like mine SD looks brutally bad.

Don't take this the wrong way, but it could be your 32" HDTV just doesn't handle SD that well. Since I signed up with E*, 98% of the SD channels I get look great on my 40" Samsung LCD.
I still would love to see them put an end to SD and just send everything out in HD, but until they do, it's not that bad on my LCD.

Ghpr13:)

Yes, merged topics... hopefully it will come out in HD soooon. ;)

Its bS if it does come to HD and only in the 250 and up package.. I'm in the 200 and I get the other two... I pay for the Plat package which is what it should be placed in for me to get it. Why in the hell is dish wanting to stick it in the 250 is beyond me. At the end of the day all of whats played on it will be on 1 or 2 anyway so big deal.

Old DISH 500

what multiswitch do I need?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts