Equator HD is looking up! (More Series for Equator and Animania)

Bilodeaumj

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
San Diego
Got this over the wire. Great news regarding Equator. I love that type of "other world" type stuff. (I had to Temp subscribe for the link):

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA455396?display=Breaking+News

Voom HD Nets Add Programming

-- Multichannel News, 9/23/2004 4:38:00 PM

Two of Rainbow DBS’ Voom HD Originals channels bolstered their programming rosters Wednesday.

Animania HD, the HD direct-broadcast satellite service’s full-time animation channel, added The Boy, Olliver’s Adventures and Flatmania.

All three series are targeted toward boys 6-12. The Boy and Olliver’s Adventures will debut in October, while Flatmania premieres in November.

And Equator HD inked a multiyear agreement with ethnographic-film producer ZED.

The network acquired the exclusive U.S. rights to 17 films from ZED’s library that it will air over the next three years, including “such intriguing topics as: a new breed of American cowboy who rounds up wild buffalo; Amazonian midwives; and a regional sporting competition held by native Brazilians who engage in a variety of creative, and rather unusual, contests,” Equator HD said.

Voom HD Originals is an all-inclusive package of 21 commercial-free channels created by Cablevision Systems Corp.’s Rainbow Media Holdings Inc. and available exclusively on Voom.

Get a smaller TV like my 36". No noise... :D Actually, I did see the "noise" everyone was talking about on ESPN during last weeks football game during wide pan shots with lots of field. That would be quite irritating to say the least. So maybe Vurbano isn't just a cranky guy after all...just kidding

US broadcaster Animania has come in for 39 episodes of Olliver’s Adventures

flatmania.jpg

Amazonian midwives.... Now this is focused content. It's hard to get excited like a teenage adolescent with National Geographic with HotHD on 24x7 :)

Real good news, and by the way I have a 55' Philips and I dont get any mosquito noise.

dziko said:
Real good news, and by the way I have a 55' Philips and I dont get any mosquito noise.
Yes you do, you just don't know what it looks like, try watching any of the "Over" series and look at the rooftops, they buzz like a swarm of bees. :eek: Having said that, I hope I haven't ruined your viewing experience. ;) Enjoy. :p

Looking forward to the additional programming and I agree that if they can get rid of the mosquito noise this would be a great channel. I already enjoy it and watch it a lot but would enjoy it many times more with a clearer picture! Still can't figure out why certain programs don't have the picture problem -- is it in the programming or the broadcast?

Ok I couldn't help myself. I haven't watched much of equator sense it first started but hadn't seen problems with the picture except when it first lauched....sooo with all the descusions about how bad it is I decided to see if I could see it myself ...I have made myself watch a bunch of different programs the last week on equator and I just don't see it LOL. (breathes a sigh of releaf) I'm not saying it isn't there but for the life of me I don't see it. (watching on a 50' plasma)

I've seen a bunch of pixialization on other channels during intense action or density shots. Oh well, sorry guys but I'm happy with it :p

MY advise to everyone is that if you don't see the "mosquito" noise, don't look for it. After you find it, it will bother you all the time and ruin your watching experience. Relax and enjoy VOOM!!!

here's more details on the Equator-HD Programs. Source

VOOM's Equator HD Acquires Exclusive US Rights to Series of Award-Winning Documentaries By Internationally Renowned Producer Zed

Rapidly Growing VOOM HD Originals Channel Dedicated to Capturing the Culture of the Planet's Most Captivating People and Places Bolsters Programming Slate With Twelve Acclaimed Programs Created By Leading Global Natural History Production House ZED
JERICHO, N.Y., September 22, 2004 - Furthering its commitment to become the ultimate hi-definition destination for breathtaking programming that captures the world's most unique people and places, EQUATOR HD has entered into a multi-year agreement with ZED, one of the world's foremost producers of ethnographic film. Through the multi-year deal, EQUATOR HD has acquired the exclusive United States rights to seventeen films from the renowned natural history production house that it will air on the channel over the next three years.

The films will spotlight such intriguing topics as: a new breed of American cowboy who rounds up wild buffalo; Amazonian midwives; and a regional sporting competition held by native Brazilians who engage in a variety of creative, and rather unusual, contests. EQUATOR HD is available exclusively on VOOM, the groundbreaking satellite service that provides the most comprehensive array of hi-definition programming for the rapidly growing but underserved HDTV audience.

The deal with ZED marks the latest in a series of acquisitions by EQUATOR HD as it continues to bolster its presence as the leading destination for innovative, global culture programming through exclusive agreements with the world's top documentary producers and cinematographers. The agreement includes two parts. The first being the acquisition of the five most recent and finest HDTV films produced by ZED and the second part includes the pre-acquisition of twelve films over the next three years.

"ZED has had an unbelievable track record in the international market. Its high quality programs have won numerous awards and established its brand as a recognized leader in the ethnographic film arena," said Greg Moyer, Co-General Manager, Voom HD Originals. "This deal really ties into our mission as it allows us to provide truly spectacular programming that viewers will not be able to experience elsewhere."

"As a hi-definition channel that circles the globe in search of authentic voices and stories EQUATOR HD will be at MIPCOM actively seeking partners for acquisitions, co-productions and commissions for Voom which has more hi-definition content than any hi-definition satellite service in the US," said Ali Hossaini, Director of Acquisitions and Scheduling

According to Manuel Catteau CEO of ZED, "Over the past months, ZED has strongly developed its HD production to become one of the foremost creators of documentaries in hi-definition. Working with EQUATOR HD we have found a partner willing to develop the hi-definition format and provide viewers with breathtaking documentary films that will transport them to the places they chronicle."

The first ZED production - Rounding Up Buffaloes! -- is scheduled to premiere on EQUATOR HD in Spring 2005. The fascinating, hour-long documentary follows a year in the lives of three modern day cowboys on the great plains of Montana who have linked their fates to the bison. Scheduled for summer 2005 is the awe-inspiring Traditional Midwives of the Amazon. This special takes a close look at the dedicated women who welcome new life and confront death when they "catch babies" thanks to the ancestral knowledge they humbly describe as a "gift from God."

Other acclaimed ZED titles that will air on the channel include:

Becoming A Man - This series follows the epic ordeal of young men from different countries who will never meet but they share a common singular goal: making the difficult passage into manhood. Each will face a grueling initiation quest and success will mean new status and responsibilities within each boy's tribe. But success is not guaranteed. If they fail, they will remain children in their communities. In three striking films you will follow the trials and tribulations of boys undergoing their ultimate initiation into manhood.

Urgan, Child of the Himalayas - Public Audience Prize and "Escale" Prize at the TOULON International Festival of Exploration & Underwater Films (France); National Geographic Prize at AUTRANS International Film Festival Mountain & Adventure (France); and final competition nominee at the GRAZ International Mountain & Adventure Film Festival (Austria). This film has also been selected to be screened at the prestigious TALOS Mountain Film Festival in Taos, New Mexico (USA) and the International Festival of Adventure Films in Montreal (Canada) in October 2004.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)