Equipment for dish access in a RV

The Wally is smaller than the 211's (10.4" vs 13" for the 211), and the Wally uses the Hopper style Carbon UI. The VIP211k has a built-in single tuner OTA capability, but the 211z and Wally require an optional USB OTA adapter.
Does the 211s have two tuners like the Wally?

OK, thanks again. Looks like the Wally is the way to go. He has some kind of other device mounted on the RV roof too. It is a Winegard box of some kind that has Wifi and OTA antenna in it.

I'm not aware of a Winegard product with both WiFi and OTA in a single unit, although they do have WiFi/cell repeater in a single unit and a similar looking automatic OTA antenna.

I'm not aware of a Winegard product with both WiFi and OTA in a single unit, although they do have WiFi/cell repeater in a single unit and a similar looking automatic OTA antenna.
I can't find it in the Winegard web site, but I saw the instructions to it yesterday. It sure appears to have both. Another question for the Wally. Does it have built in Wifi?

Reactions: NYDutch

NYDutch, here is that Winegard unit that has both WiFi and OTA in a single unit. Can you check it out for me and let me know if this thing puts out a WiFi signal when set up for the Wally with a WiFi adapter? I am not familiar with this here thing at all.

Attachments

• 2452403 OEM ConnecT2.0plus_Rev1 4-18.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 2,045
NYDutch, here is that Winegard unit that has both WiFi and OTA in a single unit. Can you check it out for me and let me know if this thing puts out a WiFi signal when set up for the Wally with a WiFi adapter? I am not familiar with this here thing at all.

Ahh! I hadn't seen the version 2 ConnecT. The WiFi setup is a repeater for an existing WiFi signal, and would typically be used to boost a campground or other external WiFi source for a stronger, although not necessarily faster, connection. Campground WiFi services are notoriously poor, so most full and long term RV'ers use our own cell based hotspots. If your friend has the ConnecT 2.0 model with a cell 4G/LTE repeater as well as WiFi, they could use that with a suitable plan from one of the cell carriers. To answer your question though, yes, the Wally with WiFi adapter would connect to the repeater the same way it would connect to any other WiFi source. First you connect to the ConnecT with a PC and then use the admin page to connect the ConnecT to the desired external WiFi source. It's all spelled out in the manual. After that, other devices can connect to the ConnecT using it's SSID and password just as they would any other WiFi source. One advantage is that all of the WiFi devices like the Wally, PC, phones, etc., can connect to the ConnecT, and only the ConnecT's connection to the source needs to be changed when moving to different locations.

Ahh! I hadn't seen the version 2 ConnecT. The WiFi setup is a repeater for an existing WiFi signal, and would typically be used to boost a campground or other external WiFi source for a stronger, although not necessarily faster, connection. Campground WiFi services are notoriously poor, so most full and long term RV'ers use our own cell based hotspots. If your friend has the ConnecT 2.0 model with a cell 4G/LTE repeater as well as WiFi, they could use that with a suitable plan from one of the cell carriers. To answer your question though, yes, the Wally with WiFi adapter would connect to the repeater the same way it would connect to any other WiFi source. First you connect to the ConnecT with a PC and then use the admin page to connect the ConnecT to the desired external WiFi source. It's all spelled out in the manual. After that, other devices can connect to the ConnecT using it's SSID and password just as they would any other WiFi source. One advantage is that all of the WiFi devices like the Wally, PC, phones, etc., can connect to the ConnecT, and only the ConnecT's connection to the source needs to be changed when moving to different locations.

OK, thanks NYDutch for the info. I called Winegard and asked them why that new Connect WiFi 4G/LTE thing wasn't in their web site. She said it is still new and that it is an OEM unit right now and only installed at the factory. She was nice enough to email me the install/operartion manual. My uncle called Verizon to get the sim card and everything all set up and they didn't have a clue what he was talking about. So he is going to call back tomorrow. For now I am going to order him a Wally, WiFi Adapter, and the 1 TB DVR Upgrade Expansion EHD. I talked to the RV center this morning where he bought it and they are telling me the that the Wally when connected to the Winegard switches (see pic) will send the same sat signal to both TVs. So my uncle is good with that for now. Maybe later on he might get a second Wally then we will figure out how to connect it. I never dreamed I would get involved with DISH and RVs so I never read the threads that close about RVs. I am learning the hard way. Thanks for all your help. You and a couple other fellow SatGuy members have been a big help.

Attachments

• Wingard Panel.jpg
    Wingard Panel.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 99
Reactions: NYDutch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)