Equipment to split satellite signal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kirr45

Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
USA
Hey guys,

It's my first post. Loving the site already. I was hoping you guys could help me with my dilemma. I am helping building an apartment and the owner asked me if I knew a solution to for example have one satellite on the roof of the apartment and split that signal like 6-10 times and wire all apartment in the building with that signal. Of course each apartment would need their own box. But I need a way to split a single satellite signal 6-10 times and wire each apartment with that signal. Thanks guys!

I assume you are wanting Dish Network or DirecTV rather then Free to Air. If so, then you need to contact one of their representatives. For Free to Air, you will need a dual feed LNB using a pair of RG6 coax cables to feed a multi-switch. Read the following about switches:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-faqs/134124-switch-setups-simplified.html

We are here to help, so feel free to ask, and by the way :welcome
Bob

Thanks Bob! They want to use FTA satellites. Also, would the setup be much different if they decide to use 3 satellites? Do you know of any company that has a solution for my situation? Thank you!

Thanks Bob! They want to use FTA satellites. Also, would the setup be much different if they decide to use 3 satellites? Do you know of any company that has a solution for my situation? Thank you!
Which satellites do you want to receive? I would probably set up a separate dish for each satellite. Galaxy Marketing one of our gold sponsors (see top of this page) shows a 6X8 switch that would combine three satellites for up to eight receivers.
Bob

I called them and told them it would be Free To Air satellites and channels and they didn't say it wouldn't work. They actually told me that the 6 x 8 would work and that I would need dual LNB's for all three satellites.

6x8's dont work with FTA in 99.99999% of the cases for 3 LNB's

I know someone might have figured out a way to rig them to work sparingly with a FTA PC card but in almost every other case it wont work. The 2 "flex" ports only work with Directv

Are there any solutions for a 400 apartment building? The apartment complex is 40 stories and has 10 apartments on each floor.

Satellite splitting large scale

I need a solution for an apartment complex. About 400 apartments. 40 stories and 10 apartments on each floor. I wanted to receive Hotbird, Nilesat, and Arabsat. I would need to wire all 400 apartments obviously but what kind of equipment would I need in order to accomplish this? I'm assuming some serious parts.

I use 3 X 8 multi-switches for my apartment building. It is possible to cascade 3 X 16 (or 2 X 16) multi-switches. I suggest start with one 3 X 16 multi-switch until you actually see the demand from the tenants, then upgrade. People are not as enthusiastic about FTA as those of us on this board. Yes, each LNB needs two ports so it can simultaneously send a horizontal and a vertical signal to the multi-switch.

Are there any solutions for a 400 apartment building? The apartment complex is 40 stories and has 10 apartments on each floor.

Check the Satelliteguys’ THE LIST for FTA KU and C-band for satellites that can be received in the US. You can not get any satellites that are beamed toward Europe or Asia.

There are now fiber distribution systems that can be used to connect 400 apartments, my guess it would be very expensive.

Check this out:
http://www.globalinvacom.com/products/pdfs/FibreArticle0510.pdf

Where is the buildling? I don't think you will be able to see those satellites from the continental US, they're on the other side of the planet.

6x8's dont work with FTA in 99.99999% of the cases for 3 LNB's

I know someone might have figured out a way to rig them to work sparingly with a FTA PC card but in almost every other case it wont work. The 2 "flex" ports only work with Directv
Thanks Tony, I got to wondering how that would work after I was on the road today!
Bob

another possible glitch:

I wanted to receive Hotbird, Nilesat, and Arabsat.
Some of our international members should comment on this matter, but it's quite possible that for reception of those satellites, you might need quad output LNBFs to feed the switches.
That would be:
- 22khz off, Vertical
- 22khz off, Horizontal
- 22khz on, Vertical
- 22khz on, Horizontal
Why? I'm suspecting those satellites use both high and low bands, requiring use of Universal LNBFs

I might be wrong, but it's worth checking.

Some of our international members should comment on this matter, but it's quite possible that for reception of those satellites, you might need quad output LNBFs to feed the switches.
That would be:
- 22khz off, Vertical
- 22khz off, Horizontal
- 22khz on, Vertical
- 22khz on, Horizontal
Why? I'm suspecting those satellites use both high and low bands, requiring use of Universal LNBFs

I might be wrong, but it's worth checking.
Both Hotbird and Arabsat have free to air TP frequencies above 12,200 - so Green One you are right again:bow - need quad universal LNB(F)s.
Bob

I'm actually not so worried about the ability to receive those signals right now. I'm actually more worried about the actual equipment setup for a 400 apartment building. Thanks

I thought about how one would wire such a beast. You have two possible routes. The safest is run an RG6 from each suite back to a central location, preferable the elevator room on the roof. Then you can choose which ever multi-switch you want. An alternate, but less sure method, would be to wire an RG6 from each suite to a wiring closet on each floor where you would put a 3 X 16 switch (or 4 X 16 if there is merit to the 4 output lnbs discussed above). Then run a pair of RG6 from one floor to the other to cascade each of the switches. Have not researched or done it….just thinking it out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)