Equipment upgrade

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jrcart

Original poster
Nov 22, 2008
I have noticed that I am eligible for an equipment upgrade. I currently have a Genie HR34-700, 2 HR24-200's and 2 HR25-500's. I would like to upgrade to the Genie HR-44. Would I be able to also replace the 2 HR25-500's with the wireless minis. Also any idea how much this would cost. Thanks.

Currently we are not allowed to have two Genies on one account.

There are rumors that will change in the future. Could be the Genie Lite that DirecTV just trademark.

Also, HR25-500 don't exist. You must mean H25-500 as they don't have a Recorder.

I would like to swap out the Genie receivers for the newer model. Is that possible? That was a typo. Could I swap out the H25's for the wireless one's?

First, you can't get an HR44 to replace the Hr34. DirecTv considers them to be the same and won't swap them. Second, you MIGHT be able to get two wireless mini-clients to replace the H25s but they will probably ask you to pay for the wireless bridge ($99). But if your H25s are already wired, why go to wireless, it's less reliable..

Thanks for the information. It sounds like I don't need any upgrades.

You could get an HR44 to replace the HR34, but not as an upgrade. It would likely be full price.

Thanks for the information. It sounds like I don't need any upgrades.
Correct there are no receivers worth upgrading to for you at this time.
You could get an HR44 to replace the HR34, but not as an upgrade. It would likely be full price.
If he schedules a service call and the tech that shows up has hr44 on his van (which is very likely) the tech can service swap the 34 for a 44 and the cm won't pay anything other than the fee (if any is) associated with the service call. We even have a failure reason in our hand held that literally reads "good stb"

A failure on a good stb? Strange. Is that Directv's way of not extending the contract or would that still apply?

As many others have posted here, it is recommended that you should have a Genie and at least one other DVR in your whole-home DVR topology.

While you could go the route of having one Genie server and all other receivers being Genie minis, if the Genie DVR goes out, so do your other minis.

Failure reson "good stb" is mostly for upgrade swaps, such as an H25 for an HR24. It's for determining return eligibility (as has been explained to me). Does it work on service swaps? You betcha. Will your tech swap your HR34 for an HR44 just because? Depends on the guy. I wont do it unless the customer asks me specifically, and can prove to me that the HR34 is unusable in it's current state.

Correct there are no receivers worth upgrading to for you at this time.

If he schedules a service call and the tech that shows up has hr44 on his van (which is very likely) the tech can service swap the 34 for a 44 and the cm won't pay anything other than the fee (if any is) associated with the service call. We even have a failure reason in our hand held that literally reads "good stb"

i just swapped an hr34 which was going bad with an hr44 so it can be done.

Failure reson "good stb" is mostly for upgrade swaps, such as an H25 for an HR24. It's for determining return eligibility (as has been explained to me). Does it work on service swaps? You betcha. Will your tech swap your HR34 for an HR44 just because? Depends on the guy. I wont do it unless the customer asks me specifically, and can prove to me that the HR34 is unusable in it's current state.
I don't really care and I don't get 34s as of right now. But when I stock both on my van I only use the 44 if asked. Another code I like is physical/cosmetic damage. Sometime if the cm asks for a new box I'll annunciate what I'm doing in the hand held and when I get to failure reason I'll go "hmmm. Physical or cosmetic damage" then grab my dikes and smash in the top of the box in and go "yea that looks damaged to me, how about you?" Directed towards the cm. They laugh and goe yea I guess so.
i just swapped an hr34 which was going bad with an hr44 so it can be done.
Yes I know it can be done.. I'm a tech.

I don't really care and I don't get 34s as of right now. But when I stock both on my van I only use the 44 if asked. Another code I like is physical/cosmetic damage. Sometime if the cm asks for a new box I'll annunciate what I'm doing in the hand held and when I get to failure reason I'll go "hmmm. Physical or cosmetic damage" then grab my dikes and smash in the top of the box in and go "yea that looks damaged to me, how about you?" Directed towards the cm. They laugh and goe yea I guess so.

Yes I know it can be done.. I'm a tech.
Hopefully the Sub doesn't get charged for serious damage when you turn it in.

It's a up to the tech we take anything we swap for a box on our truck but if we want we can request a recovery kit.
So your responsible for my recvr being returned so I don't get a huge bill for not returning ?

You get back to the shop each night and have to do return inventory ?
That would suck.

So your responsible for my recvr being returned so I don't get a huge bill for not returning ?

You get back to the shop each night and have to do return inventory ?
That would suck.
Not exactly... once I deactivate the receiver it's not your responsibility. . If I deactivate it AND request a recovery kit then it is your responsibility to return it. It's not really my problem if it's deactivates and take it with me either though. The box becomes property of the hsp and gets sent to jbold for refurbing. And no we don't go back nightly. Once a week sometimes less. We don't give a cap about returns lol. If a rca box is returned with the attached power cord it literally gets cut off before being shipped out.

Not exactly... once I deactivate the receiver it's not your responsibility. . If I deactivate it AND request a recovery kit then it is your responsibility to return it. It's not really my problem if it's deactivates and take it with me either though. The box becomes property of the hsp and gets sent to jbold for refurbing. And no we don't go back nightly. Once a week sometimes less. We don't give a cap about returns lol. If a rca box is returned with the attached power cord it literally gets cut off before being shipped out.

Agreed, if/when I take boxes back (remote tech, truck is usually pretty full), I drop them off once a week.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)