Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lil Chris

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
Kansas City North
Hi,
I'm new to this satellite stuff and know nothing, so I could use your advise. I'm looking to get into this hobby, being disabled i'm hoping this will give me something fun to do with my time. Today, I started my search for some equiptment most notibally the dish (I'm thinking a 10'er). I found something posted on craigs list and was wondering if it would be worth checking out, (i'm not sure if it's still available or not, I thought I would ask for advise first. Here is what is for sale:

10' Mesh Satellite Dish Complete
922 4DTV receiver, 920 4DTV receiver, Motorola HDD200,HDTV Decoder, 15 degree CBand LNB, zero point 3 KU LNBF. $500.00 OBO

Now, if we we're talking computers, I'd know what's good but I know nothing about satellite equiptment. I know I would have to check the dish out for defects, but I was curious about the equiptment and wheather I should persue this or not...?

Is there anything I need to be aware of before purchasing...?

Thanks,
Chris

Not too bad of a deal, but being an original C-bander... I am biased... not that much up there compared to the DBS dishes, and C-band is losing programming it seems like all the time. I have 4dtv and a HD sidecar as well as VCII , but do not have any active subs right now so cannot tell you for sure what is left on C-band ... need to put up something or link to something that does show What is left... :)

Here is what I did...
Did some home work, like you are, on what to look for.
I bought a similar System from Craig's(receiver was an older 920 vs. newer 922) for $250.
Set it up and learned how to use the system, and how it works. Lots of reading.
Then I sold the 920 receiver for $125, HDD200 for $200, and the LNBs with Feedhorn for $120.
That leaves you just the Dish and Motor.
In the meantime, I bought a VBox V positioner $60, Diamond 9000 HD receiver $125, Tr5axix 3500 receiver(for Blind Scanning) and a BSC621 LNBF $60.
I couldn't be happier. You may not understand all the names and functions, but you're at the right place to learn. Googling works too.
Use the "String Test" to check if the Dish is warped.
Ask if the "UA" number on the Back of the 922 matches the Number in the System Info Menu.
See the system work, change channels, see dish move.
You mentioned that you are disabled, will you be able to install?

Not too bad of a deal, but being an original C-bander... I am biased... not that much up there compared to the DBS dishes, and C-band is losing programming it seems like all the time. I have 4dtv and a HD sidecar as well as VCII , but do not have any active subs right now so cannot tell you for sure what is left on C-band ... need to put up something or link to something that does show What is left... :)

Thanks dfergie,
2 questions - 1. what is a DBS dish? - 2. What do you mean by active subs?

truckracer said:
There is a lot of fta on c-band. A c and ku band setup would be ideal with an HD free to air receiver.

Question. To make it a c and ku setup does that just involve changing the feedhorn thingy and getting the proper reciever?

Lak7 said:
Here is what I did...
Did some home work, like you are, on what to look for.
I bought a similar System from Craig's(receiver was an older 920 vs. newer 922) for $250.
Set it up and learned how to use the system, and how it works. Lots of reading.
Then I sold the 920 receiver for $125, HDD200 for $200, and the LNBs with Feedhorn for $120.
That leaves you just the Dish and Motor.
In the meantime, I bought a VBox V positioner $60, Diamond 9000 HD receiver $125, Tr5axix 3500 receiver(for Blind Scanning) and a BSC621 LNBF $60.
I couldn't be happier. You may not understand all the names and functions, but you're at the right place to learn. Googling works too.
Use the "String Test" to check if the Dish is warped.
Ask if the "UA" number on the Back of the 922 matches the Number in the System Info Menu.
See the system work, change channels, see dish move.
You mentioned that you are disabled, will you be able to install?

Thanks Lak7,
So this system I saw is good for the money (which might be negotable). I was mainly interested in just the 10' mesh dish for starters, I figured the rest would come as I build the system, but, sense it was a package it sounded good. I see what your saying by tweaking the system as I go along. I was kind of hoping to utilize my PC somehow as well (I seem to remember reading on here about getting a card for the computer and hooking it up to the sat.).

Yes, I am disabled (ankylosing spondilitis) I can walk I'm just stuck looking at the ground all the time (hunched over). As far as being able to install, probably not (he,he biting off more than I can chew). I'm not even sure I have a good view of the skies, I'm not sure how unobsrtucted the view needs to be (I may clip the tops of some trees that are in the yard a few doors down).

A 4dtv is a great subscription system, great picture quality, if you like movies there is nothing better, with a 4dtv it is always wise to slave a dvb receiver to the setup, this adds many great free channels.

To see what's available for subscription look at the providers websites:
Satellite Receivers C band and 4DTV satellite programming
NPS - Your One Call Solution - CBAND Satellite Programming C-band

I basically only watch boxing and movies so 4dtv is the best system for me, for some it may not be, really depends on what you like to watch.

I just got off the phone with the guy selling the dish and he said that the dish was in real good condition and everything works and is negotable on the price, he just wants to get rid of it. I'm going out there tomorrow morning to have a looksee. I will take my camera and get some pictures if anyone cares to see it.

I did have another question, how do I determine which direction the satellite needs to be pointed (i'm concerned about a few trees that might be in the way). Is it in any relation to say the smaller dishes, my neighbor has a small dish and I can see where it is pointed.

Take a compass with you and ask him to move the dish across the arc.
Record the extreme ends(East and West) and site these in on your property.
I would do some serious research on LOS before buying.
where is this located?
seems like I saw that ad on CL

gpat,
In kansas city missouri... I will take a compass and do my best, i'm not really sure on what to do though... What is LOS, Line of sight?

One last question, out of the following he did say he was willing to part this stuff out, if I could get a better deal that way what equiptment would you guys choose out of what he has (or just get it all):

10' Mesh Satellite Dish
922 4DTV receiver
920 4DTV receiver
Motorola HDD200
HDTV Decoder
15 degree CBand LNB
zero point 3 KU LNBF

Last edited:
I would take all the equipment, and ebay the Mot 920 and HDD200 HDTV Decoder. Use that money to buy an HD FTA Receiver.
The Big Dish needs to move, unlike the "Little" dish = DirecTV / D Net. When you look at it, he can show you how it moves. Need to take note of East / West compass readings and elevation. As the Dish travels from East to West watch how the elevation changes. It starts lower in the East, then rises in the South, then lowers into the West. You need to make sure you LOS is clear following the same direction and elevations. It is easier to understand when you see it in action.

If you get directly behind the dish and look at it when its aimed at the satellite you will see the LOS. Use the LNB which is in the center,mounted on arms,like a gun sight and record that compass heading.
If you are only a few miles away from the dish location,you can maintain the angle its preset at.This angle changes with relation to geographical location.Also ask him to hit the true south satellite and record how far off in degrees it is with a protractor. This will aid in setup at new location.
I would keep the HDD and sell off the 920.
Be sure the 920 gets plugged in right away as when unpowered its memory runs off a battery and Im sure that wont last long.Once the battery runs out the unit is worthless.
Good luck with it.
Perhaps you could coax a member thats close to help with setup.Im too far away to make it practical.

Chris,

I saw this same ad on Craigslist about 5-6 weeks ago and contacted the seller, he actually emailed me pictures of all this stuff, if you don't already have them get me your email address and I will forward them to you. :)

I'd think he may be pretty motivated to bargain on the price since he's been trying for quite a while to move this stuff, if it had been closer, cheaper and I was considering going to 4dtv, I might have given it a shot.

Hey guys, thanks for the responces...

We tested it out and everything seemed to work, I watched the dish move, we hooked up the 922 reciever and it worked (we didn't hook up the 920 or the HDD200 but I trust it's ok). He didn't know what kind of dish it was, he said it was there when he moved in, there were a few small hail dents but nothing too bad and a little rust... Man, I'm so excited!!! I'll post some pics at the bottom for you guys to see

phlatwound,
Are you from like Joplin or something, he said someone was interested that lived a ways away... If it was he said he would call you and say it has been sold, so you didn't make an unnessary trip. I offered him 400.00 and he accecpted, I'm not a very good negotiator (he probably would have come down more but, I thought that was reasonable).

gpat,
I did a crude assesment of where it was pointed, south to a tiny bit south west. I didn't see your responce since I was out there at like 7 this morning. He lives like 30 miles from me. I would love if I could find someone close by that possibly help with set-up, it would help tremendiously...

THSatellite-Photos-001.jpg
THSatellite-Photos-002.jpg
THSatellite-Photos-003.jpg
THSatellite-Photos-004.jpg
THSatellite-Photos-005.jpg

Chris...yes I am about an hour from Joplin, about 3.5 hours drive from where the dish is. Hope you get it set up and going soon, there's a lot of real sharp guys on the forum here that can help you with your questions, good luck and congrats! :)

You might offer the 920 to someone as bait to set the system up.
I personally wouldnt try to mail it to anyone as the unpowered time
is the kiss of death to it.
Get some good compass readings before you remove it. And if you are
taking it apart get a paint marker pen and mark everything.

You might offer the 920 to someone as bait to set the system up.
I personally wouldnt try to mail it to anyone as the unpowered time
is the kiss of death to it.
Get some good compass readings before you remove it. And if you are
taking it apart get a paint marker pen and mark everything.

I would be willing to do that (I would have to test the 920 first to see if it works).

Several people have mentioned the battery thing and it killing the reciever, is that just for the 920 or does it apply to all of the recievers (the 922 as well as the HDD200). It just seems a little odd to me that something like that would happen. when it was manufactured and sent out to the store to be sold surely all the 920 recievers wern't unboxed and plugged in to keep them alive. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what "the kiss of death means"...?

As far as the compass readings I think I can handle that (maybe). I think what I had planned on doing is just removing the dish from the top of the pole (and not taking it apart). I was going to rent a u-haul and put it in there as a whole dish (is that recommended?). I will be getting the pole as well, so I could mark that with the paint marker and where the dish was mounted on the pole. Do you have any suggestions on what exactly to mark with the paint marker?

The 920 and 922 have a Lithium Battery for memory. It lasts about 10yrs, and the 920 is about 10 yrs old. If the battery dies, the memory of one of the chips is lost, and the unit must be sent out for repairs. When you get the equipment home, and learn your way around the menus a little, there is a quick way to check. When you're ready, just ask, and someone will help.

You do not want to Warp the Dish, so be careful moving.
There are 3 basic parts: Dish, Mount w/ actuator, and Pole. I couldn't see re-using the existing pole. Probably best to install new one, it has to be Plumb. Separate the Dish from the Mount, then remove the Actuator from Mount. Nest remove Mount from Pole. After that, gather receivers, remotes, manuals, and place a birdhouse on the Pole. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)