Er, Thanks ... Dish

jpmarto

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
E. of Seattle
I've been with Dish 18 years, here's my loyalty reward: Hopper #2 has hard disk failure, fortunately it's intermittent and I was able to back up the receiver settings and copy off the recordings. Replacement hopper #3 arrives in mail, so I set it up. I call to activate it and I'm told they sent the replacement for Hopper #1. What? Bottom line, through Dish's lousy attention to detail and inflexible accounting system if I send back Hopper #2, in a month or so Dish will charge me for not returning Hopper #1. A very apologetic and nice-guy CSR said "you don't want that hassle". Solution? Hopper #4 is in the mail and I have to return both Hopper #1 and #2. I can rearrange my 600+ recordings on my own. Thanks again Dish, you've made my day.

Moral of the story: If you have more than one receiver, make them verify which one they are replacing. And get the CSR's name & number.

Reactions: TheKrell
Next time contact the DIRT folks. Much better than the CSR's you deal with by phone. They are listed in red under helpers on the main forum page when they are online.

I replaced all three of my VIP receivers last year without this issue. Maybe it's a Hopper thing. :devilish

Just another example of why proprietary systems are bad. We should be able to plug a Dish card into any satellite receiver on the market and not deal with Dish's incompetence. And the whole concept of encrypted recordings should've been stillborn -- if the program providers wanted to insist on that nonsense, the carriers should've all refused to carry them.

Is this a case of a lazy CSR who didn't want to do some extra legwork to fix it ? Or, is Dish's system that restrictive that they can't ?

Is this a case of a lazy CSR who didn't want to do some extra legwork to fix it ? Or, is Dish's system that restrictive that they can't ?
It is restrictive, but the real issue was the first CSR not following protocols. There is a very specific step that when replacing a receiver on an account that has ultisols receivers, to verify the receiver number of the one being replaced.

It is restrictive, but the real issue was the first CSR not following protocols. There is a very specific step that when replacing a receiver on an account that has ultisols receivers, to verify the receiver number of the one being replaced.
What in the world is a ultisol receiver?

So much angst could be avoided if more people here just would.
To be fair, some of the posters here(we will call ourselves the regulars for simplicity purposes), have questions that even get DIRT scratching their head. I do agree though, if you have a question about your specific setup and is not related to the physical wiring... Your best bet is to go to DIRT. Price questions on a specific account can only be speculated and same with offers, so to really get the real deal experience... You could talk to other reps(unrecommended) or you can just get Matt or Jason and get your answer with someone who understands their damn job. I have gone through a couple dirt agents to look through specifics on my account, and the reason I do not post them in the open forum is because my results will only disway another customer into thinking credits and or offers are the norm. If someone feels credits are mandatory or expected, they need to ask themselves is the price Dish charges regularly worth it, and "can I get a better full time regular price elsewhere". If they feel they are being ripped off, screaming about it will only get those that will prove the value. I get what I pay for, and am satisfied with my price, but even I will sometimes go for a special. I do not expect to get it, and am pleased when I do, but shrug my shoulders otherwise. This is a basic business transaction. Nothing personal with any one single agent(those are stories of their own). But to come back full circle, people... Ask DIRT. They are great, and we want to keep them productive... Lol.

That is one of the reasons that the first thing I do on any new iPhone is turn off the auto correct.
Naw, if I do that, my gf might leave me for my illiteracy may turn her off. The few random asinine changes IPhone makes is worth the hundreds of mistakes it fixes for me.

Reactions: bwexler
To be fair, some of the posters here(we will call ourselves the regulars for simplicity purposes), have questions that even get DIRT scratching their head. I do agree though, if you have a question about your specific setup and is not related to the physical wiring... Your best bet is to go to DIRT. Price questions on a specific account can only be speculated and same with offers, so to really get the real deal experience... You could talk to other reps(unrecommended) or you can just get Matt or Jason and get your answer with someone who understands their damn job. I have gone through a couple dirt agents to look through specifics on my account, and the reason I do not post them in the open forum is because my results will only disway another customer into thinking credits and or offers are the norm. If someone feels credits are mandatory or expected, they need to ask themselves is the price Dish charges regularly worth it, and "can I get a better full time regular price elsewhere". If they feel they are being ripped off, screaming about it will only get those that will prove the value. I get what I pay for, and am satisfied with my price, but even I will sometimes go for a special. I do not expect to get it, and am pleased when I do, but shrug my shoulders otherwise. This is a basic business transaction. Nothing personal with any one single agent(those are stories of their own). But to come back full circle, people... Ask DIRT. They are great, and we want to keep them productive... Lol.
About time!:D

Reactions: ChadT41
I have read here all the great things DIRT does. However, I was on the phone with the 2nd CSR, who was trying to help, who was doing a lot of tasks in the background before he activated my replacement receiver. It didn't seem I had a lot of options, nor the freedom to say "don't activate the new receiver" and hang up on him to deal with DIRT. He told me Hopper #4 (replacement for my good receiver) was ordered before my new receiver was activated. The suggestion I deal with DIRT first is unrealistic, as was making a routine call to Dish to activate the receiver (per the installation wizard).

I was more than a little distracted trying to plan out the logistics for how I was going to deal with 4 separate receivers and not lose any of my recordings, many of which I'd probably never get a chance to re-record. It still goes back to Dish's CSR system and the folks who receive returned receivers not being in the same loop. In all fairness, the CSR seemed very sincere and I believed him when he said there was no other way he could handle this unless I wanted to spend hours and hours trying to straightening this mess out after the system noticed I didn't return the same hopper they expected. He offered me 3 months of movie channels, and additional time to return Hopper #1 for my troubles.

The suggestion I deal with DIRT first is unrealistic, as was making a routine call to Dish to activate the receiver (per the installation wizard).

However, you could have contacted Dirt afterwards to make sure things got cleared up.

Reactions: ChadT41

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts