Ergen touts chances of a DirecTV-Dish Network merger winning approval

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Likewise, I don't understand why the FCC, Dish and DirecTV don't agree to a set of DBS uplink/downlink/modulation/cryptographic standards (similar to Cable Ready and Digital Cable Ready...e.g., 64 QAM, 256 QAM, CableCard, Moca, etc.) so customers can buy their own equipment and it can be used with any provider since it is DBS Ready - just swap-out the crypto card. Gee, this only complies with the intent of Cable and Telecommunications reform acts.

Yes, but would the FCC force D* & E* to charge a lower price for that card like they did with the cabelcos, or would they be allowed to pull the same scam they currently do and charge the same price for an "access" fee on owned equipment that they do for a "lease" fee?

Ahh memories...

MVC-003S.JPG

Juan lay off the crack. The NFL Sunday ticket is one thing Charlie has wanted to add forever to DISH. It's one of the reasons why he has DIRECTV himself, hes even said this on the air.
cept when he opens his wallet..the Moths fly out because it been so long that money has seen the light of Day..I do no think charlie will get a price he likes on the Sunday ticket..it just wont make economic sense to him.(i.e. New York Sports) charlie is a very shrewd operator who does not like spending good money after bad.. he will look at how much profit he could make rather than how many subscribers he has ..The sunday ticket is a good draw but would he really need it if he was the only satellite provider in town?? he wont even spend money on full time RSN-HD....

He dosent have room for full time RSN's and he knows DIRECTV is better for their sports offering so its not a concern for him. If you ask him face to face he will tell you to go to DIRECTV. Trust me I have been with him and seen him tell people that. If he had it all we would have it all, as that what he really wants.

He dosent have room for full time RSN's and he knows DIRECTV is better for their sports offering so its not a concern for him. If you ask him face to face he will tell you to go to DIRECTV. Trust me I have been with him and seen him tell people that. If he had it all we would have it all, as that what he really wants.
yes i do believe you..maybe i have just seen waaaaaaaaaaaaay to many charlie chats to actually believe him and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many channel disputes....Its his way or the Highway for customers and/or program providers

Sure but look at DIRECTV over the past year and look at how the company has been managed, to me it looks a lot like DISH's management style then the Gold Standard management style that DIRECTV use to be known for.

With a merged company I wouldn't expect as many disputes because of their size.

Biggest difference is direct has sports, dish has movies, dont think charlie would drop the 1 billion a year for sunday ticket especially when directs contract is up in 2014. a larger customer base would help charlie with the contract disputes, but still would do takedown in min if rate increases are on the table, he is a poker player that will go all in just to see provider fold

Sure but look at DIRECTV over the past year and look at how the company has been managed, to me it looks a lot like DISH's management style then the Gold Standard management style that DIRECTV use to be known for.

:facepalm:facepalm:lalala::lalala::lalala::lalala:

i would expect more if charlie were in charge
he would hold out more often thinking his size would make a difference, it may or may not work
i think it would be less affective with locals

When have you ever seen rates go down. Never Happen! Plus, their hardware is not compatible. They would have to change out either 14 million receivers or 18 million receicvers, and Charlie likes his own design. So, there would be no cost savings until the receivers are changed out, which would ake years.

If they were to merge, I would think you would see two separate companies for a while till they could come out with compatible receivers that would work with either service. Then they would work over a period of years to change out all the receivers and dishes to the new integrated service. But I would think it would take close to 10 years to get it all working correctly.

If they merge I do not see prices going down.

Its like the days the satellite and cable companies were saying that Bills were going up because of pirarcy. Almost all the pirarcy is gone now so has anyones bill gone down?

If they merge I do not see prices going down.

Its like the days the satellite and cable companies were saying that Bills were going up because of pirarcy. Almost all the pirarcy is gone now so has anyones bill gone down?

Had forgotten about that, lol. I called shenanigans back then.

Think of it this way- when fuel prices shot up everything started going up. Everything is so expensive now it is unbelievable. If gas goes back down to $1 gallon, it will take A LONG time for prices on everything else to come down. The only way it will, though, is through competition.

I know this is a stretch..but waaay back when they tried to merge the firsttime..i thought they had developed software that would allow directv recievers to see dish birds and viceversa..doesnt seem like much of a stretch since both use m-peg2 and mpeg 4 technology...it would just require a whole lotta of dish repointing..I think directv has the optimal satellite locations

I don't believe that there was software to do that. they did announce some receivers that would be able receive do both but they never came to market.

Less competition means HIGHER prices ,definitely. I hope that DISH & DIRECTV NEVER ,EVER , merge.

I think it is inevitable. I don't think it will be in the next couple of years, but in five or so I would give it 60/40 odds, in ten 95/5 odds. Basically once over-the-top delivery really takes hold and overall satellite market share starts dropping it's a done deal.

why not just form a partnership of the 2 services that markets the local channels for the different dma's?
just think of the bandwidth that would be freed up if the locals were only uplinked once!
it could be the start of further partnerships

So I can't choose Dish (And have my locals) because only Direct TV has my locals?