Ergen: “We really gave too good a deal"

That gets really old, really quickly. Granted, if you buy a receiver outright, you shouldn't be forced to sign up for 2 years, but some people want to get a really expensive receiver for free, and not be on the hook for a year or two over it.

If you cancel, Dish gets their receiver back, so they haven't lost anything.

I have 2 DVR's a 722 and a 722K

My hardware charges are-

DVR Fee $6.00
Solo Receiver fee $7.00
Duo DVR fee $17.00

Total hardware costs- $30.00

My programming is AEP @ $99 and I have HD Platinum for $10

Total is $152 with the tax

I plan to roll back to AT250 and drop two movie packages later this month. I hope to save another $35.

Hum, 70 is average for Dish?, I am guessing the absolute package playes a role and SD customers??

My bill is in the 90 mark/average with Direct

Though if I took away the 10.00 reciver fee and HD fee I would be in the 70 range

Absolute is a small fraction of their subs....maybe a few thousand. That wouldn't skew a thing. And Direct also has SD customers.

Last edited:
So if they do increase programming prices later this year, not saying that they will. That would be two increases during the year hardware and promgramming. For some of us the price difference is not that big from Direct, they get some more National HD up and some may want to change

Maybe I'm a bit presumptuous, but I would consider myself a fairly "average" Dish Network customer, possibly a little on the high end of "average". I have 4 TV's, 2 HD and 2 SD.

So out of curiosity, I went to DirecTV's website to price what I have now. This was the closest comparison I could come up with, minus any promotional pricing or credits;

Dish Network Current Bill
Top 250 w/ Locals - $62.99
HD & Platinum - $10.00
DVR - $6.00
HD DuoDVR Receiver - $17.00

TOTAL: $95.99

DirecTV Comparison
Choice Ultimate - $68.99
HD - $10.00
DVR - $7.00
1 additional HD DVR and 2 SD DVR - $15.00

TOTAL: $100.99

Unless I really suck at math, that's a difference of $5.00, not $22.00.

...and E* has already paid Tivo hundreds of millions of dollars to date...

You need to get your own facts straight before accusing others. E* has so far paid TiVo $103M, I would not call that "hundreds of millions of dollars".

On the monthly cost, I agree with the others that if you have more than one DVR, Dish is not cheap at all. DirecTV charges one $5 DVR fee per account, $5 per DVR rental. I am sure DirecTV can't wait to raise their fees but for now with four HDDVRs my DirecTV fees are much less.

On the monthly cost, I agree with the others that if you have more than one DVR, Dish is not cheap at all.
Disagree. Even with two, still cheaper than Direct or anyone else. After the credits run out, my bill will be $6.00 more for 2 722s.

Disagree. Even with two, still cheaper than Direct or anyone else. After the credits run out, my bill will be $6.00 more for 2 722s.

How so? With two DVRs, Dish charges $10 to $17 rental plus $6 DVR fee? DirecTV charges $5 rental and $5 DVR fee. Neither charges for the first DVR rental.

Nope. Its still there. Just one per account now. I never had my receivers hooked up to a phone line. Even Scott's calculator predicted it correctly.

It shouldn't be there. The additional outlet fee was rolled up into the receiver fee. A 722 used to be $7 + $5 additional outlet +$5 DVR fee. Dish combined them into one $17 fee. You should not have an account level additional outlet fee. Dish is however double dipping with an account level DVR fee.

If you have an extra $5 fee, call, chat or email to find out what it's about. It should not be there based on what has been posted here and my own bill.

Dish Network is cheap entertainment.

I pay $100 per month.

100/30 = $3.33 a day. Not bad for what you get.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)