ESPN, 140, blacks out at 2:30 PM Central each Saturday. Any ideas.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

johnwadams

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
Arkansas
This has happened the last 4 saturdays. The events are way outside my area. A few hours the black out goes away. I get an error code 744. Both receivers are hooked up to phone lines and the call out does work. The first Saturday only the 722 blacked out but we were able to watch the rest of the game on our 612. After that Saturday, it also blacks out at 2:30 PM Central.
Diagnostics:
Connection: Phone ok
Call Out: No call out pending
Counters: Last Connect: 11-19-11 3:05
Last status update: 11/14/11 11:26am

Analysis: Send Status: Connection method = Phone = Detected,
Check Signal, Signal Checked + Yes
Send data: Data sent = connecting
Dat sent = no
cONFIRM CODE = dONE
CODE= BKYP GZ4T WSRA

ESPN or ESPN2?

ESPN2 normally has a regional football game at 2:30 CST that may be on your local ABC instead

edit: looking today its ESPN that has the game as ESPN2 has the race. Looking at maps depending on where you are in Arkansas you may be blacked out...grey area you would be blacked out
111119_3pm1.jpg

Just ESPN. It unlocked at 5:30 central.
No blackout on ESPN2 at the moment. Will check when the football game starts later.
The stuff on ESPN that blacks out has not been anything remotely local.
And the first time, only the 722 blacked out. The game we were watching just happened to run over past 2:30.

Are you sure it isn't being carried by a local broadcaster also? While that happens more fequently with ESPN2, it does happen with ESPN sometimes.

Those blackouts are weird to say the least.I can understand the NC.ST Clemson game being blacked out here as we live in ACC territory and the game was on local abc affiliate.Now why it would be blacked out in Ark.the heart of SEC territory I don't understand.One would think the locals in ARK.would have a SEC game.If we knew what locals the op has it would help to figure the issue out.

Per our sports listing, we had nothing on ESPN2 at 2:30, so it would have been blacked out. After the first time, I had been checking each Saturday in case another Arkansas football game showed up on ESPN. Todays and next weeks are on CBS, so no problem. The newspaper for our spotbeam shows "Football: Penn State at Ohio State, ESPN, 2:30 p.m." . I will wait till next week and see what blacks out and also check ESPN2 to see if it blacks out. I have seen where some of ESPN2 shows up on our local ABC.

Per our sports listing, we had nothing on ESPN2 at 2:30, so it would have been blacked out. After the first time, I had been checking each Saturday in case another Arkansas football game showed up on ESPN. Todays and next weeks are on CBS, so no problem. The newspaper for our spotbeam shows "Football: Penn State at Ohio State, ESPN, 2:30 p.m." . I will wait till next week and see what blacks out and also check ESPN2 to see if it blacks out. I have seen where some of ESPN2 shows up on our local ABC.
ESPN "family' feeds are blacked out for college sports when games are shown on local OTA stations in a given area.

With certain conferences, due to contractual obligations, local tv stations have the right to show the games locally. IN other instances, the national networks may have first crack at these games and in that case, the local stations would defer because they would get the game anyway.

Here....For ACC Football, all stations in the Carolinas owned by the Lincoln Financial Group( Our local CBS Affiliate) have a contractual obligation to show the game of their choosing. So if it happens to also be an ESPN game, the ESPN feed would be blacked out in our region. So let's say for example, the Clemson/NC State game was originally and ESPN game, our local station( in this case the CBS affiliate) would have gotten that game and the ESPN feed blacked out.

ESPN "family' feeds are blacked out for college sports when games are shown on local OTA stations in a given area.

With certain conferences, due to contractual obligations, local tv stations have the right to show the games locally. IN other instances, the national networks may have first crack at these games and in that case, the local stations would defer because they would get the game anyway.

Here....For ACC Football, all stations in the Carolinas owned by the Lincoln Financial Group( Our local CBS Affiliate) have a contractual obligation to show the game of their choosing. So if it happens to also be an ESPN game, the ESPN feed would be blacked out in our region. So let's say for example, the Clemson/NC State game was originally and ESPN game, our local station( in this case the CBS affiliate) would have gotten that game and the ESPN feed blacked out.
Fully understand, but no other station got the game. I did not care to watch it, but just wanted to see if this was going to keep happening every Saturday on ESPN CH 140. Sports section and TV section of our newspaper both matched, showing the Penn State at Ohio State game on ESPN, 2:30 p.m. Central. And this has happened 4 weeks in a row on one receiver but only the last 3 weeks on the second receiver. If there is a problem, like happened 4 weeks ago, I don't want my receiver blacked out in the final 30-45 minutes of a game if I can avoid it.

normally ESPN2 has the blackouts but because they had the Nascar race on the blackout got bumped to ESPN

Looking at next Saturday's ABC games there are 2
Oregon St. at Oregon
Virginia Tech at Virginia

One of these will be designed the ESPN2 game (lets say for sake of argument its VT/VA). The other game will be on ESPN Alternate (145/146/147ish) in SD only

If your ABC affiliate carries Ore St/Ore then you would see VT/VA on 144
If your ABC affiliate carries VT/VA, then 144 would be blacked out and you'd watch Ore St/Ore on 146

A few weeks ago the early game on 144 ran extra long (its the SEC so folks are use to that)...at 2:30 they blacked out 144 because the game that was on there next you could have seen on ABC.

One of these will be designed the ESPN2 game (lets say for sake of argument its VT/VA). The other game will be on ESPN Alternate (145/146/147ish) in SD only

Is there a reason that they don't have the ESPN Alternate games in HD? Contractual?

A few weeks ago the early game on 144 ran extra long (its the SEC so folks are use to that)...at 2:30 they blacked out 144 because the game that was on there next you could have seen on ABC.
Thanks Iceberg::::::::::::::
It seems that someone could manually make the changeover, to black out" after the game that runs over ends.
I do not know if it has always been this way or not but I noticed that the default for recording sporting events adds 60 extra minutes. So DISH knows games run over.
For next Saturday at 2:30 we show Oregon State at Oregon on our ABC Station and Alabama at Auburn on CBS, and Grambling State vs. Southern on NBC. ESPN2 also shows Oregon State at Oregon so I assume that will be blacked out. My ESPN listing just shows TBA. I'll wait and see what happens.

Thanks Iceberg::::::::::::::
It seems that someone could manually make the changeover, to black out" after the game that runs over ends.

I know there are cases where its a manual change. Any of the games on the RSN Alternates (or the HD feeds of RSN's) they hard cut when the game is over to the slate or the "check back often". So someone actually does it. But those blanket blackouts they just set it. Thats why during the baseball season after 3 hours the blackout is lifted regardless if the game is done or not

I do not know if it has always been this way or not but I noticed that the default for recording sporting events adds 60 extra minutes. So DISH knows games run over.
actually anything live it does that. Directv does the 30 extra

For next Saturday at 2:30 we show Oregon State at Oregon on our ABC Station and Alabama at Auburn on CBS, and Grambling State vs. Southern on NBC. ESPN2 also shows Oregon State at Oregon so I assume that will be blacked out. My ESPN listing just shows TBA. I'll wait and see what happens.
later in the week check the ESPN Alt channels (145-147)...the other game will be there. You will be blacked out on 144 (as will I..my ABC shows that game too)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts