ESPN's first 4k event ever!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I guess I wasn't clear enough.
ESPN has been doing full production of games or sports end to end in test mode.
This has been going on for a long time. The bugs were worked about behind the scenes.
Before you, me and the world could see the first live ESPN 4k game.
That is what the press release pointed to.

So what? Everyone does that, you don't think the first time NBC or Fox did a 4K football game they hadn't done tons of tests as well? The point is that they can test all they want but that doesn't mean there won't be plenty of problems they don't see until they are delivered to customer homes. If internal testing was sufficient to detect all problems, a new Windows, Android, iOS etc. release would always be bug-free.

So what? Everyone does that, you don't think the first time NBC or Fox did a 4K football game they hadn't done tons of tests as well? The point is that they can test all they want but that doesn't mean there won't be plenty of problems they don't see until they are delivered to customer homes. If internal testing was sufficient to detect all problems, a new Windows, Android, iOS etc. release would always be bug-free.

As ESPN stated they've working on this for a long time and just now brought it out publicly.
Now that it's ready for primetime. But the game I saw was not.

ESPN made sure they told us to plan on great things with their 4k.
So that is my basis for expectation. They told viewers to expect it.
As I said for the Oregon / Wash. game they did not deliver.
You can argue your take 'till the cows come home but I am going by their own press.

That said, Longhorn23 was impressed by the first LSU game, which I didn't see,
and in reading his posts he seems to know what he's talking about regarding good quality.
His posts are always worth reading.

I will try and see more of ESPN 4k games and hope to see great things.

Wished they had a replay or put in on ESPN+ to see.

I would bet a bundle that will happen soon.
ESPN 4K streaming for $30 - 50 bucks a month.
They're not going to waste their time on a few games.
It's got to be plans finally for a full 4k sports network or streaming package.

bjf

Reactions: longhorn23
Jimbo,

Regarding the 4k Olympics for US viewers of cable and satellite it was always tape / time delayed.
Not for tech reasons but for not giving it too us before the HD live chanels. God knows why the idiots at NBC did that.

But I think everyone viewing the 4k both times, already knew that..... Um, years ago. LOL

bjf

Jimbo,

Regarding the 4k Olympics for US viewers of cable and satellite it was always tape / time delayed.
Not for tech reasons but for not giving it too us before the HD live chanels. God knows why the idiots at NBC did that.

But I think everyone viewing the 4k both times, already knew that..... Um, years ago. LOL

bjf
Thats my point, if your showing something taped or delayed, you can make it look much better than the Live signal.

Reactions: comp9
Thats my point, if your showing something taped or delayed, you can make it look much better than the Live signal.

Yep, compressing stuff live isn't nearly as efficient, so a given bandwidth on a live broadcast is probably equal to about 50% of that bandwidth on something pre-packaged.

I rather doubt the Olympics held back on the " 8K " sourced downconvert, just to make sure the 4K looked as good as possible.

Honestly..

The 8K was sent LIVE back to Japan and possibly South Korea to jumbo screens and well connected people.
This was a test for future tv. They were supposed to show it at some large venues for regular people to see.
No tweaking needed.

The 4K was delayed by NBC for the SAME reason the World Series and Superbowl will not be in 4k.
They don't was viewers eyes not on the the HD screens for commercials and ratings.

Once again that was all common knowledge at the time.

BTW, the repeated it a few times.
You know I think you're right.
Each time they must have tweaked it.
It looked better each time. Sharper and clearer thant he first showing. LOL

I will be interested if this finally changes for live 4K for the USA for next years Olympics.
EVERY event will be shown LIVE IN JAPAN (maybe S. Korea) in 8k from the articles I've read.
I believe samsung will heavily push 8K tv's just for this event.
I think they will be able to get this both terrestrial antenna and satellite.

Wish we weren't so far back in technology.

bjf

Reactions: longhorn23
should have added in the other post, do you really think NBC is going to take the time and money to do a specialized amount of time on a
daily 4K feed during the Olympics, just to make that picture look even more stunning in 4k for a few thousand viewers.

NBC / Comcast cable company , LOL

Spend time and money so we get even more amazing 4k.

This was one and done.

Downconvert and send it out.

And the downconvert probably was done at the moment of sending it out to the states.

With no fanfare for the 4k channel.
No large quantity of viewers.

Fewer if you have to have a HDR tv set last time around.

No the reality is the Olympics 8K original production end to end downconverted to 4K LOOKED STUNNING!!!
With any of the things you seem to think occurred.
This ain't no Hollywood film where they aren't tweaking for a Bluray or Netflix film.
You couldn't buy this period. They aren't making more money. They didn't bother doing anything to make it look better.
It looked great out of the converter in real time.

Really, NBC / Comcast spend a dime.
What were you thinking! LOL

It's almost shocking NBC even bothered with 4k for the Olympics.
They gave that atypical NBC way of not really part of the club treatment for the Olympics.
That said it's more enjoyable to not have some of their terrible announcing team on the 4k
version. I'm sure that will be shortlived.

If only we could get the international Olympics feed (4k) and skip NBC altogether.
I'd be happy to pay Never hearing or watching NBC hosts / announcers again would make
it so much better.

bjf

I rather doubt the Olympics held back on the " 8K " sourced downconvert, just to make sure the 4K looked as good as possible.

Honestly..

The 8K was sent LIVE back to Japan and possibly South Korea to jumbo screens and well connected people.
This was a test for future tv. They were supposed to show it at some large venues for regular people to see.
No tweaking needed.

The 4K was delayed by NBC for the SAME reason the World Series and Superbowl will not be in 4k.
They don't was viewers eyes not on the the HD screens for commercials and ratings.

Once again that was all common knowledge at the time.

BTW, the repeated it a few times.
You know I think you're right.
Each time they must have tweaked it.
It looked better each time. Sharper and clearer thant he first showing. LOL

I will be interested if this finally changes for live 4K for the USA for next years Olympics.
EVERY event will be shown LIVE IN JAPAN (maybe S. Korea) in 8k from the articles I've read.
I believe samsung will heavily push 8K tv's just for this event.
I think they will be able to get this both terrestrial antenna and satellite.

Wish we weren't so far back in technology.

bjf
Very likely, seeing Samsung is the only one here that has an 8k TV at this time.

Looks like in a brief search for 8K tv brands.

In Japan Sharp is selling 8K tv's also so that to the list with Samsung.

Not sure about Sony.

But TCL was due to have one in the states and they delayed until 2020.

Not sure if they have one out in S. Korea or Japan.

Not sure what Vizio is doing.
Or if they have that brand to sell in Asia.

I'm sure there will soon be loads of China made brands of 8K sets for 1/2 the price or less than the major brands.

Can't happen soon enough for me.

bjf

LG and Sony also both have 8k tv's available in the US right now.
Ok, who out here is going to spend $12,000 for a TV to watch an 8k show over and over again ...

You all know there won't be any 8k programming available any time soon (other than the Olympics, maybe) ... theres no 4k on TV's, so there certainly won't be 8k.

Streaming isn't Network, broadcast tv.

If it's not LIVE ... it doesn't count.

jimbo, what the hell are you going on about now.

Streaming certainly is LIVE TV, network tv and broadcast tv.
Just a different method to get it to your tv.

Do you even think it through before you post.

As for who's buying 8k tv's.

The rich,
The cutting edge tech heads,
and the guy who is trying to impress his friends.

Same guys who bought 4k when it hit.

Same guys who bought HD when it hit.

Same guys who bought projection big screens when they hit.

Same guys who bought a 35" - 45" CRT tube when it hit.

Same guys who bought the first color TV.

Same guys who bought the first TV sets.

Same guys who bought the first stereo radio consoles.

Same guys who bought the first radios.

Your point being????

bjf

jimbo, what the hell are you going on about now.

Streaming certainly is LIVE TV, network tv and broadcast tv.
Just a different method to get it to your tv.

Do you even think it through before you post.

As for who's buying 8k tv's.

The rich,
The cutting edge tech heads,
and the guy who is trying to impress his friends.

Same guys who bought 4k when it hit.

Same guys who bought HD when it hit.

Same guys who bought projection big screens when they hit.

Same guys who bought a 35" - 45" CRT tube when it hit.

Same guys who bought the first color TV.

Same guys who bought the first TV sets.

Same guys who bought the first stereo radio consoles.

Same guys who bought the first radios.

Your point being????

bjf
I don't see the next generation buying all these new TV's ...

The current generation that has been buying it, will be retiring ... thus not spending the Big buck any longer.

That next generation doesn't care about TV, they care about gaming ... do they spend like that, some, but not most.

Btw, it sure sounds like you KNOW Everything about everything ....must be nice ...

I come here to help out and learn as well ...

It must suck to know everything.

That next generation doesn't care about TV, they care about gaming ... do they spend like that, some, but not most.

My kids ( in their 20’s) care about TV they just do not care for Traditional TV, so happy with Netflix, You Tube and the like.

And both of them can easily afford a Traditional Provider’s bill, they just do not seem to have a need or a want for it.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)