ESPN Alternate Programming

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hobo13

Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Hi guys.

Does anyone know who sets the programming for the ESPN Alternates? Is that DISH or ESPN? I know that often they carry football games that are out of the region (great for us displaced Big 10 fans!), but it's hard to know in advance what is going to be on.

I know this may not be the right place for this question, but there's not much info out on the web about this.

Thanks a lot.

it's available as an alternate in a region where ESPN has been blacked out. Case in point, last night ESPN televised the St. Louis Cardnails game, in the Cardnails home market, ESPN on Channel 140 was blacked out to protect the home team telecast on FSN Midwest and in place of the Cardnail game on ESPN, the home market received the alternate game, which is available nation wide.

Not all games on the ESPN alternate channels are available nationwide, example, during the NCAA women's basketball tourney, only the states represented in a particular game, example, Iowa St vs Uconn, would receive the broadcast.

If you are thinking you'll get ESPN Regional coverage of Big 10 football (example Iowa vs Ball State) on the ESPN alternates, that's not going to happen as that game any any other Big 10 game produced by ESPN Regional will be shown on ESPN's GamePlan package. Other than that, the entire nation will receive the 11 am Big 10 games on ESPN & ESPN 2.

I am a displaced Big Ten fan going on 25 years. The only way you will reliably see Big Ten football is to subscribe to ESPN Gameplan. The early bird special is $99 for the entire 150 game season - highly recommended.

Thanks for the reply, although I found it a little confusing. I'm pretty sure I've been able to get Buckeye football up here in Boston on ESPN A2 in the past. I'd just like to know what is going to be on for planning purposes. I mean, if the game's on great, I'll watch it. If not, I'll head to a bar. But it sucks to *think* it's going to be on, and then it's not. Know what I mean?

hobo,

Most games are regional, but there is no way to reliably predict ABC's coverage map. You can check the ABC Sports website, but they typically don't publish their weekly coverage map until a few days prior to kickoff. In my case, I receive OTA programming from DC, Baltimore, Richmond VA and Charlottesville VA...and typically receive the ACC game in this region (Duke vs Wake Forest - Ugh!), but not always. Usually Big Ten games don't make it out of Pennsylvania, but not always. I sucks having to pay $99, but it is well worth it IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)