Espn blackout???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rsoares28

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Toronto
Last nights heat 76er game was blacked out on espn??? Is that normal? Espn is a national feed correct? I have league pass ..... which didn't carry the game cause it was on espn. Even the local sun sports feeds were blacked out. Any idea why this happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ll get blacked out on Espn baseball games, IF i find that its available on the local RSN, but you said it wasnt, so, im not sure.
What did the Game Finder come up with, normally if a game is BO the Game finder will find a station that it is available on.

I see you're in Canada. What is the American address you use? If the game is on an RSN that your address gets locally, you'll be blacked out of ESPN. This is not new and has been happening for as long as sports have been on TV. The only time a local team will be allowed on ESPN exclusively is Sunday Night Baseball, if I am not mistaken. Even MNF is blacked out on ESPN (and TNF on NFL Network) in the local markets of the teams playing, since a local broadcast station has the rights.

Without much information, I am going to assume you're somewhere in the CSN Philly footprint. Even though Directv doesn't carry CSN Philadelphia, they have the rights to the games and you'll be blacked out. It is discussed at great length on this and similar forums.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. My address is New York.. That's why it didn't make any sense to me. Game finder came up empty. I'm thinking it must have been a one off problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 76'er's are carried on Comcast Sportsnet which is not available on DirecTV or Dish Network. Since Comcast Sportsnet has the local rights to air the 76'er's, National games on ESPN are not available on ESPN in the Philadelphia area. ESPN only pays for the Out or market rights and in most cases NOT the Local rights.

John

The 76'er's are carried on Comcast Sportsnet which is not available on DirecTV or Dish Network. Since Comcast Sportsnet has the local rights to air the 76'er's, National games on ESPN are not available on ESPN in the Philadelphia area.

are you sure? This past season I've had Timberwolves games that are on ESPN NOT blacked out and I can view it on both ESPN and my local RSN (or local OTA if they are on that)

I see you're in Canada. What is the American address you use? If the game is on an RSN that your address gets locally, you'll be blacked out of ESPN. This is not new and has been happening for as long as sports have been on TV. The only time a local team will be allowed on ESPN exclusively is Sunday Night Baseball, if I am not mistaken. Even MNF is blacked out on ESPN (and TNF on NFL Network) in the local markets of the teams playing, since a local broadcast station has the rights.

Without much information, I am going to assume you're somewhere in the CSN Philly footprint. Even though Directv doesn't carry CSN Philadelphia, they have the rights to the games and you'll be blacked out. It is discussed at great length on this and similar forums.

ESPN and NFL Net don't black out MNF and TNF in the home markets. The Lions have played a few MNF games the last few years and they weren't blacked out on ESPN. The do make it available OTA for those who don't get ESPN but it is available on both channels.

The 76'er's are carried on Comcast Sportsnet which is not available on DirecTV or Dish Network. Since Comcast Sportsnet has the local rights to air the 76'er's, National games on ESPN are not available on ESPN in the Philadelphia area. ESPN only pays for the Out or market rights and in most cases NOT the Local rights.

John

This is not correct for the NBA. ESPN games are not blacked out in local markets. Fans can either watch ESPN or the local RSN, and has been the case since ESPN got the NBA contract around 10 years ago or so.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)