ESPN finally leaves analog

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Aguilobo2001

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 13, 2005
19.32N 99.13W
Just for the record. 1369 days after Disney deauthorized residential descramblers, they finally pulled the plug on the analog signals of ESPN (G5-09) and ESPN2 (G5-14). Now the remaining 24/7 analog signals are:

135W, C4-09 QVC
135W, C4-10 HSN
133W, G1-11 EWTN
133W, G1-17 INSP
131W, C3-07 C-SPAN
131W, C3-13 The Weather Channel (Last VC2 signal, who would have thought it)
125W, G5-03 Shop NBC
101W, W4-16 PBS-X (Leaving analog on Nov. 15, 2010)
99W, G4-16 Shepherd’s Chapel
91W, G7-18 Classic ARTS Showcase

The ESPN analog signals just came back up. For the last week or so they have been switching between analog, no signal and DVB-S2. With all of the switching back and forth, I was hoping they would at least run FTA for awhile, but they are always encrypted.

My battery is 19 1/2 years old and the module has been on the shelf for the last 6 months I hooked it up today and it still works. I thought they had a 10 year maximum life. :)

You must have kept that unit well climate controlled or its a factory freak LOL

i wonder if the guys who built these boxes and old analog receivers ever imagined 20 years later we would still be using the stuff ?

Its one of the first VC2+'s pink modules. I was on a VC2+ testing program in late 1990 because the first gen had an issue with dropping auth. I fought tooth and nail with GI to convince them there was a problem with the VC2+. Anyway the one they sent me after testing was over was one with a bigger battery. It was always in a approx a 70 degree room. It sat in my Monterey 50 till 06 then moved to my 922. About 6 months ago I pulled it since I figure if the battery leaked it would kill my 4D motherboard. It out lived the VC2 plus system :)

ESPN is doing a DCII DVB-S2 MPEG4 upgrade. See here. The signals on Galaxy 14 are going to be DCII DVB-S2 MPEG4. The IRDs they are using are the DSR-6100. I think they will be transmitting HD only, and the IRDs will do the SD downconversion.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)