ESPN GoalLine and Bases Loaded

zippyfrog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Chicago, IL
I read that ESPN is discontinuing Goal Line and Bases Loaded on cable services, effective June 30. Does this impact Dish Network as well? The way this is worded makes it sound like it is an ESPN decision and it would impact Dish. If this is the case, the only thing in Multi-Sport pack is RedZone and StrikeZone and 5ish RSN's if you are out of the territory? I know they advertise Big10, Pac12, etc, but to add Multi-Sport Pack, you need at least Top120+, and all those channels are already included in top 120+.

This channel was a lot better when it still included ESPN Buzzer Beater. I am not sure if it was a glitch or intentional, but when that service was still carried by Dish, I could watch it for free throughout the entire college basketball season on my deactivated Dish receivers that still get free preview channels. That lasted for at least a couple of seasons before Buzzer Beater was discontinued, and the name of the channel was changed to put more emphasis on the Bases Loaded part.

Those Multi-Sport channels that are already included in AT120+ are not included in the minimum qualifying Spanish-language package needed to get Multi-Sport. So, while I agree that a lot of Dish's marketing for Multi-Sport is very shady lately, continuing to list those channels in the package is one particular practice that I will defend.

Reactions: zippyfrog
Those Multi-Sport channels that are already included in AT120+ are not included in the minimum qualifying Spanish-language package needed to get Multi-Sport. So, while I agree that a lot of Dish's marketing for Multi-Sport is very shady lately, continuing to list those channels in the package is one particular practice that I will defend.

I had no idea on that. That makes sense then.

Reactions: pattykay
I don’t really follow any collage sports, but just as a casual observation, it seems like for the past year or two, one of the other ESPN channels was always simulcasting Goal Line. I never understood why the live look in channels of ESPN Goal Line, NFL RedZone and MLB StrikeZone have to exist other than to make more money. There’s no reason those three have to be dedicated part time channels, that only shows a handful of hours worth of programming a week while in season. They can just be programming blocks on their parent networks.

I don’t really follow any collage sports, but just as a casual observation, it seems like for the past year or two, one of the other ESPN channels was always simulcasting Goal Line. I never understood why the live look in channels of ESPN Goal Line, NFL RedZone and MLB StrikeZone have to exist other than to make more money. There’s no reason those three have to be dedicated part time channels, that only shows a handful of hours worth of programming a week while in season. They can just be programming blocks on their parent networks.
I agree with that, especially considering the way Dish puts these channels in the guide. Most of the week, when these channels are nothing but slates, Dish leaves them in the clear, whether you subscribe to them or not. This creates the false impression that these channels are already included in your subscription. Then, for the few hours that they actually have programming, they are suddenly blocked. (The exception, of course, as I already noted above, was ESPN Buzzer Beater. That could have simply been carelessness, though.)

At least NFL RedZone was nice enough to do a free preview last month, showing replays of every week of the 2019 season. That is the kind of thing that could easily have been done on the main NFL Network, though.

I can only speak for the NFL Red Zone - it's clearly to make more money/enable them to charge for an extra service. I enjoy NFL and college football but almost never tune into the base NFL channel; just not interested in the NFL "news/discussion" stuff. However I do add multi-sport at the beginning of Sept. & turn it off at the end of the regular season just to get the NFL RedZone channel. It's a great (& addictive) way to watch the NFL. Obviously, their plan is working on me; I'm one of their willing suckers in that sense.

I can only speak for the NFL Red Zone - it's clearly to make more money/enable them to charge for an extra service. I enjoy NFL and college football but almost never tune into the base NFL channel; just not interested in the NFL "news/discussion" stuff. However I do add multi-sport at the beginning of Sept. & turn it off at the end of the regular season just to get the NFL RedZone channel. It's a great (& addictive) way to watch the NFL. Obviously, their plan is working on me; I'm one of their willing suckers in that sense.
I have to wonder what their strategy is in excluding certain basic packages from eligibility for NFL RedZone, then. If it is all about making more money for the NFL, then you would think that they would want as many customers to qualify for it and subscribe to it as possible.

I think it's because alot of people aren't wanting it for college football season so they have decided to discontinue it through june 30th and alot of the cable companies are doing it now so therefore they want you to subscribe to NFL Red zone starting in September.

Well of course the channels only exist to make money. With the exception of PBS, is there ANY channel that doesn't exist to make money?
ARTS

Sorry, had to say something. But yeah, new channels exist to justify higher rates for marginally more programming.

Reactions: Justy5
Well of course the channels only exist to make money. With the exception of PBS, is there ANY channel that doesn't exist to make money?
The Destruction Channel
Tagline: Explode Your World

Sorry, we were talking about channels that don't exist, right? :D

(Now just watch, someone will post a link proving that this channel actually does exist.)

ARTS

Sorry, had to say something. But yeah, new channels exist to justify higher rates for marginally more programming.
And exponentially more commercial time. You can fit twice as many commercials on two channels compared to one, while your programming content doesn't grow at all. And people will clamor for that additional channel. :facepalm

Reactions: Yespage
And exponentially more commercial time. You can fit twice as many commercials on two channels compared to one, while your programming content doesn't grow at all. And people will clamor for that additional channel. :facepalm
I want Animal Channel 2 in 4K! Why doesn't Dish add it?! Why are my rates increasing?! *frothing*

Because Dish just added ESPN8 "The Ocho"!!!
Alright. 24/7 poker coverage.

Dick VItale on the commentary, blaring out what everyone has.

"He's doubles down with a pair of 4's, that's pretty risky! Especially with his opponent carrying a possible straight flush!"

*folds*

Not in the case of NFL Redzone - no commercials at all & content exclusive to the channel.
However, only 7 hours of programming per week (Sunday 1 pm to 8 pm EST).

This evening Dish put up the INFO channel on 403 that GoalLine/BasesLoaded will no longer be provided. So this decision is across the board that the channel will not be around anymore, not just cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)