Espn-hd, not the WOW factor!

Would love to get some good HD hockey on before the season is over..a nitche but AVID customer base..woul;d add to vooms subscriber total i am sure

I haven't watched anything on ESPNHD recently, but the Sunday night games I watched were (flame suit on) on a par with MNF and the CBS presentations (flame suit off).

I haven't seen ESPN-HD yet, but I am starting to think that maybe the problem lies in ESPN's crews and engineers. If it is sometimes spectacular and other times ho-hum and all is broadcast in the same resolution then the difference has to be in the capture of the image or not correcting for the environment. I have noticed that some games, day or night, on WorldSport are better looking than others depending on the lighting in the individual stadium. Maybe because HD is so resolute these things jump out at us more then when we used to watch SD? :confused:

Vurbano, I will resist making toilet jokes. I'll even resist asking what display you've watched. But as for the rest... I answered the question. You might think the SD switching is irrelevant, but I certainly don't.

Ive watched 720p on a 50" samsung DLP.

SO why does espnhd at 720p have no wow factor? Their basketball and hockey look a bit like FOX widescreen upconverted to 720p

Actually Its a shame that most of the material your watching is losing its resolution being converted to 720p since most stations are 1080i (if my source is correct) as follows:

Networks
comcast sportsnet (1080i)
Encore (1080i)
A&E (1080i)
TMC (1080i)
UPN (1080i)
WB (1080i)
CBS (1080i)
NBC (1080i)
ABC (720p)
FOX (480p now, 720p in 2004)
PBS (1080i)
HBO (1080i)
Showtime (1080i)
HDNET (1080i)
ESPN-HD (720p)
Discovery (1080i)
Bravo HD (1080i)
INHD (1080i)
starz(1080i)
NBATV(1080i)
MSG(1080i)
HDNET movies(1080i)

of these discovery, inhd, hdnet cbs are pretty much the popular defacto best quality. Even PBS is impressive in 1080i. 720p defenders keep talking about MNF on ABC, well its probably because you only have 2 stations to watch? ANd the rest of the material looks bad to you because your set converts it. And vica versa for 1080i people I suppose. Ill stick with my 20 out of 23 networks in 1080i (if you unclude inhd2). You wait for your 20 hours a month on espnhd, or MNF once a week. Hopefully cinema10 will go back to 1080i as well when they find the bandwidth to return it to its superior quality.

I was watching that MOTO PIG show on Rush, and the guy mentioned that the HD cameras are 150k each! Maybe that's why some sporting events recently have been subpar. For golf, you'd need $2,000,000 worth of cameras per tournament. Maybe that's why the Masters bummed some people. That cost is probably hurting some at ESPN. I guess NASCAR fans should wait 10 yrs, because that's how long it will take to get HD for them. BTW, the Sony GWIII, a 720p display, finishes 2nd on most top 10 lists of large display RPTVs.

Football, college basketball and golf are my favorite TV sports so I have recently discontinued Direct's HD package. There is nothing on ESPN that I really want to watch until August. Hopefully, Voom will have a carriage agreement by then. I had ESPH HD for about 10 months and I really was not that impressed. INHD, on the other hand, has sports that are dazzling!

I just watched HDNews and caught the highlights of the ESPNHD broadcast of the Angels game. Looked pretty good. Not as good as NBATV highlights of the Spurs game, but I don't think baseball is the best showcase for HD. Also, HDNews has to convert the ESPN feed to 1080i, so that could be something. But I'm pretty sure the loss of picture due to conversion was minimal, generally speaking.

jabroni said:
Football, college basketball and golf are my favorite TV sports so I have recently discontinued Direct's HD package. There is nothing on ESPN that I really want to watch until August. Hopefully, Voom will have a carriage agreement by then. I had ESPH HD for about 10 months and I really was not that impressed. INHD, on the other hand, has sports that are dazzling!

ESPN does early round coverage of US and British Opens. I'm a golf guy, so if ESPNs doing those HD, I'd like to see it.

cyuhnke said:
I was watching that MOTO PIG show on Rush, and the guy mentioned that the HD cameras are 150k each! Maybe that's why some sporting events recently have been subpar. For golf, you'd need $2,000,000 worth of cameras per tournament. Maybe that's why the Masters bummed some people. That cost is probably hurting some at ESPN. I guess NASCAR fans should wait 10 yrs, because that's how long it will take to get HD for them. BTW, the Sony GWIII, a 720p display, finishes 2nd on most top 10 lists of large display RPTVs.
FOx is going 720p this year, will be to late for nascar, but next year you will see nascar in HD. saw the 150k comment too. wow

cyuhnke said:
but I don't think baseball is the best showcase for HD. .

Actually I thought ESPN's HD baseball last year was awesome. I haven't seen HD baseball on any other channel for comparison, and I'm not a baseball fan anyway but I thought it looked great.

ESPN can take a little lesson from MSG and FoxSport NY. WPIX our local WB did the Mets vs Pirates in HD. They use the same crew members and production crew from MSG/FoxSport Net NY. There were no SD cameras, no upconvertion; everything was in glorious HD with true DD5.1 sourround sound. The "Revolution in HD" is not revolutionizing anything whenever they put SD or upconvertions on the picture.

Two thumbs up for MSG/FoxSport Net NY and WPIX for doing a tremendous job.

I tuned in the ESPNHD Sunday night baseball game last night and watched a few minutes on a funky XGA res projector I borrowed from work for the weekend and it looked pretty good. I'll be able to give a better PQ report when I get my pj back (hopefully this week).

cyuhnke said:
f, you'd need $2,000,000 worth of cameras per tournament. Maybe that's why the Masters bummed some people. That cost is probably hurting some at ESPN.

I guess NASCAR fans should wait 10 yrs, because that's how long it will take to get HD for them. BTW, the Sony GWIII, a 720p display, finishes 2nd on most top 10 lists of large display RPTVs.
wrong on espn and wrong on nascar.

Fox does about 1/2 of nascar and that should all be HD next year.

Espn spent millions on a new hd facility that wont do anything to bring us more hd events. Only fluff like sportscenter. That money could have been spent buying or renting trucks to do what they should be doing. Bringing us more hd live sports coverage. What is hurting espnhd is not what things cost but the stupidity that drives their business decisions