ESPN hd PQ for the most part sucks!!!!

Yeah they need to fix their hardware for sure it seems they had some issues on their end here lately.

Then I wish I had your eyes and setup. :)

Same here. Champs Sports Bowl pq is awful.

I have to admit though. It is better than it has been. Still not the best network to watch a sporting event in hd. The Texas Bowl on the NFL Network hd puts ESPN hd to same.

Last edited:
I have watched some University of Memphis basketball games on ESPN from the FedX Forum in Memphis and the picture quality seems to depend on which set or whose cameras are used. One game wasn't even widescreen. A local station carries some games, Comcast Sports carries some and ESPN does some. My guess is that as far as these games are concerned, if ESPN needs their equipment elsewhere, they use whatever is available on site. On one game the full court shots were so bad that the numbers on the jerseys were blurred but the close up shots were great. Looked like a mix of std and HD. The Comcast Sports broadcasts are usually so bad that they don't even look good on a small 36" Sony. I normally run a panasonic projector with a 78" screen and some std def is watchable on it but not the junk Comcast Sports has been putting out.

I agree. PQ has looked somewhat soft and blurry like an upconvert. Even my Dad noticed when he was here for Christmas.

S~

I have e-mailed the dish network quality dept. Have not heard back.

Time Warner has crammed more channels into the digital downstream by reducing the framerate on everything including the HD channels. I feel like I am watching an old B movie. This information comes from a mid management person at TW. I guess its no real secret, its just hard to watch, everything looks like realtime video parsed out at about 20 frames per second.

Once August 1st comes hopefully ESPN-HD will look better in MPEG-4, if Dish doesn't decide to cram 10 channels of HD per transponder, which they are getting close

BASTARDS!!!!!!!

Once August 1st comes hopefully ESPN-HD will look better in MPEG-4, if Dish doesn't decide to cram 10 channels of HD per transponder, which they are getting close

BASTARDS!!!!!!!

While ESPN2 looks better than ESPN, the difference isn't huge. So I don't think we have too much to get excited for unfortunately. And with the recent sat issues I don't see fewer channels per transponder any time soon.

I have been as hard as anyone on ESPN hd. I have seen within the last few months the pq has gotten reasonably better. I wonder if how they feed to Dish has improved??

I really will not know how much better it is until college football season get here.;)

I like a few others believe that MPEG4 will not make a big difference. Digi has said a while back that he thought it may have been the up link feed to Dish. I have Direct also and the pq on Dish from ESPN hd is not nearly as "noisy" as Direct.

I think that MPEG4 + the new encoders will make the difference. Let's not pre-judge, and let's see what it looks like after the switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts