ESPN HD & SD

FranKy400

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
I'm watching the Wisconsin - Mich State game and it goes to OT. Florida and Tennessee was starting and they said to turn to ESPN standard def to watch that game and ESPN HD would stay with the Wisconsin - Mich State game for the OT. I switch to SD and no Florida - Tenn game. Also checked the Alternate channels but nothing but music. Why does dish network not make the switch so SD and HD have different games?

All it said was customers in TN and FL could do that. Dish doesn't send a different signal to customers in different states so it isn't possible. I for one just had my 922 stream the start of the game from ESPN3 via PlayOn. Worked great!

I must have missed the part that said it was only for people in Tennessee and Florida.

All it said was customers in TN and FL could do that. Dish doesn't send a different signal to customers in different states so it isn't possible. I for one just had my 922 stream the start of the game from ESPN3 via PlayOn. Worked great!

Well, not really quite true. Here are two examples of things that can happen;

When the Red Sox are on ESPN, but not exclusively, it used to be that particular ESPN channel would be blacked out. But not anymore. Now in the area served by the Red Sox, you get a different game on that ESPN station. (And I have seen Sports Center also during that time) There has even been a time or two when Dish made a mistake and I saw a different game when the Yankees were playing some team (not the Red Sox), even though I should not have been blacked out for them. So Dish can send a different signal. (This is an ongoing problem because I am in the SNY and MSG viewing area, but not the YES viewing area) (Fact that Dish does not carry Yes they still of course have to follow the MLB rules)

Another way to do it, is the opposite. Put the signal up, then block it to everyone except the area served by that team. This is very common as with RSN's.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts