ESPN Monday Night Football is Not so good

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ryanm86

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Austin, TX
Has anyone else noticed that the games on espn have alot of pixelation on the high detail sceens? For instance when they pull back to give you a full view of the Teams before the ball is snapped and during the play. Is it ESPN over compressing the signal or is it D*?

Its not about pixelation. I can tolerate some occasional pixelation. Even a crisp image can do that. This is NOT crisp. I see blurring as if it were SD in some places and macroblocking. I believe its poor encoding and bitstarving. ESPNHD has sunk to the depths of early FOX efforts. Atrocious lately. The field itself looks like SD upconverted as do the fans in the stands. Something I see none of on CBS.

Last edited:
It has always been that way. The sideline camera's, or up close shots look good, (not great but good on D*). I was always told that ESPN had their oldest HD camera for NFL football as the "game view" camera. That may just be a myth however.

If you want to see some horrible HD sports, watch any FOX baseball game in HD. Even OTA, it looks worse than SD.

A friend of mine is actually installing Dish Network and DirecTV dishes at ESPN's HQ in Bristol so that ESPN can monitor the quality.

ESPN wants its broadcast to look as good as possible.

Well then the better step up the bandwidth because they wont be pleased with what they see. Hopefully they won't view it on some 26" lcd cause then they will think it looks great.

Scott Greczkowski said:
A friend of mine is actually installing Dish Network and DirecTV dishes at ESPN's HQ in Bristol so that ESPN can monitor the quality.

ESPN wants its broadcast to look as good as possible.

That's awesome! I wanna be the PQ guy. Looks good....looks good...looks good...Oh god...good lord ..we got macroblocking all over the place! Get me the D* phone we have a problem.

Ahh to dream

joedekock said:
It has always been that way. The sideline camera's, or up close shots look good, (not great but good on D*). I was always told that ESPN had their oldest HD camera for NFL football as the "game view" camera. That may just be a myth however.

If you want to see some horrible HD sports, watch any FOX baseball game in HD. Even OTA, it looks worse than SD.

When was the last baseball game you seen in HD on Fox I believe the last one they did was the ALL Star game and it was very good.
All the Saturday games are not HD they are some type of enhanced SD in16:9 and I agree they suck.;)

Don't want to toot my own horn or anything:cool: but, on August 22 I started a thread titled, HD-Lite, another direction, where I asked about going to ESPN with the PQ problem and making a clear statement asking how they can let this go on. Most said , ummm, they don't care, they are making their money. Nice to see we have a shot here of something happening.

upnorth said:
When was the last baseball game you seen in HD on Fox I believe the last one they did was the ALL Star game and it was very good.
All the Saturday games are not HD they are some type of enhanced SD in16:9 and I agree they suck.;)

Not that I don't believe you but how do you know it is enhanced Sd to 16:9. the HD logo is there and I watch it OTA this past Saturday for 5 minutes and it was HD. Soft yes but HD to me.

I have seen them do this on occasion aswell. Almost like a 480p 16:9 signal. But not all the time so it is possible it was HD

Is it just me, or should networks take their HD cameras out of the broadcasters booth and put them on the field...give us another angle of the game, not of a few blazers and microphones...

The only HD MLB games FOX does is the All-Star game and the playoffs. The Saturday game on FOX is an upconvert widescreen. Better than SD but definitely not HD.

vurbano said:
Its not about pixelation. I can tolerate some occasional pixelation. Even a crisp image can do that. This is NOT crisp. I see blurring as if it were SD in some places and macroblocking. I believe its poor encoding and bitstarving. ESPNHD has sunk to the depths of early FOX efforts. Atrocious lately. The field itself looks like SD upconverted as do the fans in the stands. Something I see none of on CBS.
IF it is bit starving it would be D*'s problem , not ESPN's
How is it looking on DISH and Cable ? Any different ?

it looks great on cable. i admit i have a 21 inch LCD. but when i switched back to cable, from d*, last fall, i noticed an immediate improvement in espn hd picture quality. it looks even better since the cable people ran a heavier cable from the pole to my cable box.

Man I just watched the Packers game and I think its getting worse. Maybe the rain was making it worse.

upnorth said:

The all-star game looked good, but I watched two Tigers games on a Saturday in HD since the all-star game. And your answer would explain why they look like garbage.

Mtnmike said:
Watch the Packer/Bengals here in Denver and it was outstanding. No complaints.
Super here as well. PQ was solid, despite crappy weather in Cincinnati for the game itself.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)