ESPN News HD issue!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

greaser00

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
I have a 4 year old Hitachi hdtv and the hr20 hooked up to it by component. For some reason when I am watching ESPN news in HD the side bar on the left of the display is cut off not being able to see the information being posted. I have no issues with my newer tv with the hddvr. I have no issues with other channels and all my settings are correct. If I go to centering, I can fix it that way, but then it messes up the rest of my channels. Is there anyone else having this issue?

I am not personally, but I have read on here and some other sites that some people have been having that problem. Not sure what brand sets they were using, may be brand specific, may be something D* is doing(I doubt it since most arent having the problem)

Sorry I dont have a fix for you though.

Can you try to hook it up with HDMI? OR a HDMI to DVI cable if your tv doesnt have an HDMI input?

My Visio has a "Zoom", "Normal", or "Cropped" feature. When my TV is "zoomed" the sides and bottom are cut off. You may also want to check the resolution of your HD Rec. "Stretch", "Normal", or "Pillar Box". Try adjusting those. Don't know if that will help, but it worked for me.

I have tried everything and I'm still missing part of the sidebar ticker. The only way to fix it is to adjust the centering.

Yes - I have smae problem - I also have a hitachi hdtv. Have not been able to figure it out. My other tv which is a vizio - is perfect.

its called overscan my friend,many older tv's have no user adjustments for it,and ALL crt rptvs have it,some really bad.try finding a service manual for your tv and try to find how to adjust it in the service menu.

I have a Mitsubishi 48413 CRT RPTV,

I have the same issue on that display. Overscan is a "problem" on it. I've had it calibrated so I'm only missing the first letter of each line. So it's really not that big of an issue.

On my Samsung plasma, it's fine.

I still like the picture on my RPTV better overall than the plasma.

I have a Mitsubishi 48413 CRT RPTV,

I have the same issue on that display. Overscan is a "problem" on it. I've had it calibrated so I'm only missing the first letter of each line. So it's really not that big of an issue.

On my Samsung plasma, it's fine.

I still like the picture on my RPTV better overall than the plasma.

Two different technologies, is why you have issues with the one and not the other.
The Plasma is a fixed panel, if it's capable of full res, then you would not have any issues seeing it in it's entirety.
I know, you said the Plasma is fine, just pointing it out for others.

Jimbo

so to fix my problem I need to have my tv calibrated. What does that usually cost?

Yeah Jimbo, I should have been a little clearer on the different technologies.
Thanks for pointing it out.

greaser, as far as calibration cost, it depends on the type of display, and the level of calibration you have done.

On my Mits it was about $500. But, the tech literally spent the entire day and into the evening in the guts of my TV. everything from cleaning the guns to re-soldering IC's, a complete geometry alignment, and everything in between and under the sun.

That was on the extreme end of a calibration.

There are several people who run calibration tours throughout the country. Also I would check around some of the smaller local Home Theater retailers and see if they can recommend someone. They may even have someone in house that offers the service.

That's how I got hooked up on my end. The place I buy all my gear from has an in house service dept and offers calibrations of several different levels.

$500 is alot to spend on top of the purchase price, and for some it's seems completely needless. I for one can tell you a good calibration increases the WOW factor of your HD programming and DVD's 10 fold.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)