ESPN not bolting Sling TV, despite numerous out clauses in programming deal, report says

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
I don't think there's any question that Sling wants to keep ESPN, this was about whether ESPN would pull their channels off Sling. I agree that at this point, they both need each other. ESPN is losing traditional cable subscribers, and Sling has found a way to get new customers who either never had cable or have decided to cut back / eliminate their cable package. At the same time, I'm sure Sling makes a lot of sales based on having ESPN included. I do wish it was possible to get Sling type bundles without sports though. Even the basic Sony Vue package has a ton of sports in it.

Well, if ESPN leaves, then we'll also get to see how well it works to sell a "skinny bundle" without sports channels. While I know a lot of people love sports, there are also some people who'd rather not pay for sports if they could opt out.

Reactions: TheKrell
I think they'd either have to drop the price or add a bunch of channels to the basic package, because if ESPN left, more than likely all Disney/ABC programming would leave as well, which would leave a big hole in their basic package.

Reactions: andy_horton
IMO, the basic package that the offer as is, would not be all that enticing without ESPN. Perhaps some shuffling of add on packs might make it more worthwhile.

I doubt it will become an issue however.

Reactions: Mr Tony
The only Disney station I watch besides ESPN would be freeform. And ESPN is for baseball on Sunday. That's it. Lord knows I don't watch Disney!! What other channels are owned by Disney on Sling?

What other channels are owned by Disney on Sling?

The ones you mentioned obviously, and the various ESPN numbered channels, plus SEC network from the sports tier. Disney XD, JR, and they also offer ABC in select markets in the Broadcast tier.

I suppose one could include channels that they have a stake in like A&E, History, Lifetime, and Viceland as well.

The ones you mentioned obviously, and the various ESPN numbered channels, plus SEC network from the sports tier. Disney XD, JR, and they also offer ABC in select markets in the Broadcast tier.

I suppose one could include channels that they have a stake in like A&E, History, Lifetime, and Viceland as well.
Talk about a potential "Sling killer"...you're left with lifestyle and Hollywood packages basically. I already have them

I wrote an open letter to Sling TV last week stating if they didn't enhance their model and add more stations there would be defections to Vue. Got the standard email back. But I was serious and that's my opinion

Sling could go a long way by adding the NBCU and Fox channels even if they were in add on packs. However, I bet NBC and FOX want to have almost all their channels in the basic package. And Fox might refuse entirely because they have said they don't believe in cord cutting.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
And Fox might refuse entirely because they have said they don't believe in cord cutting.

Then why is Fox Now and the other Fox Channels ( FX for example) on the Playstation Vue service, or why do they own and put their content on Hulu or sell their content to Netflix and Amazon.

And the Yes Channel ( owned by Fox and the Yankees ) is on Vue and not Dish.

It all comes down to money, Fox will put their channels and content wherever they can make the most.

It has some restrictions on the nbc owned channels. Most others work fine.

It does have the tv anywhere app credentials for most restricted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then why is Fox Now and the other Fox Channels ( FX for example) on the Playstation Vue service, or why do they own and put their content on Hulu or sell their content to Netflix and Amazon.

And the Yes Channel ( owned by Fox and the Yankees ) is on Vue and not Dish.

It all comes down to money, Fox will put their channels and content wherever they can make the most.

Vue is a more traditional "big bundle of channels" style service that doesn't offer a lot of individual packages like Sling does. You can't buy just the Fox channels from Vue, you have to buy at least a $30/mo bundle.
On Hulu, if you don't have a Fox Now / TV provider login, most FOX programming is held for a 8 day delay instead of a 1 day delay.

I'm not saying Fox won't take the opportunity to make deals here and there - but I also don't think Fox is trying to stake out a leadership position in cord cutting either, and they have said as much: http://cordcuttersnews.com/fox-says-no-to-sling-tv-and-to-free-online-sports-streaming/

And I personally don't think that's very consumer friendly. I agree it does come down to money, and I guess we are going to find out which approaches work, as FOX goes one way and Disney goes another.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts