ESPN's first 4k event ever!!

Fox has been using 4K cameras for the football games for a while, even the ones produced in 720p. Because it makes zooming easier. So use of 4K cameras isn't sufficient to guarantee that a game isn't produced in 4K, but using 1080p cameras would obviously mean it is not (at least not for the views shown through those cameras)

Fox has been using 4K cameras for the football games for a while, even the ones produced in 720p. Because it makes zooming easier. So use of 4K cameras isn't sufficient to guarantee that a game isn't produced in 4K, but using 1080p cameras would obviously mean it is not (at least not for the views shown through those cameras)

Not sure exactly what you meant by zoom easier.

I'm guessing you mean digital zoom.
With 4x's the bits over 1080p they can zoom in digitally beyond optical with no degradation for the HD recording and nobody would know they did this.

Which is what ESPN's been doing for some years.

I can't imagine too many lenses that would give more superzooms for a 4k camera over what they've had for years for HD cameras.

Maybe a couple specialty lenses made just for 4k.

If Fox is using all 4k cameras to record the images of course they are better and sharper than HD.
I know from what I've read down converted 4k to 1080p looks better than 1080p native cameras.

Probably to do with the sharper and better 4k glass in the lenses.
And the bitrate that 4k is getting.

It was a wrong assumption on my part Fox was using 1080p cameras.
But it wouldn't surprise me if they are using a mix of 1080p and 4k cameras.

1080p are a lot cheaper to buy and Fox seems bent on saving a buck.
While they are lying to our faces for some time now about having "real" 4k.

Would be nice to know the complete chain from camera to upconversion.
To see where the weak link is that they are too cheap to spend the big bucks on for America viewers.

Just like today bogus ESPN claim of real 4k but like I posted it appears it's being down converted to 1080p and the sent out on a 4k channel.
And just like Fox are using some lame excuse in doublespeak about some tech reason and cost for real 4k.
Like Disney and Fox are just such financially poor companies.

The are just being cheap.
But the lying to our face and saying it's real 4k that is BS.

Still until there is more clarity I could be wrong about ESPN.
Hope someone can give us more tech details.

It might look better than Fox but since it will be NO HDR.
It can't look too much better. Probalby about the same.
They possibly might crank the bitrate higher or use better cameras and glass.

Shame though ESPN has had such a long amount of time dragging it's feet.
But they chose to not use 8k cameras. Chose not to record HDR. And who's knows if it's just going to be another 1080p scam.

Wish ONE company would be straight with the public and do 100% end to end 4k for sports.
I'd happily pay for a true 4k channel 24/7 live sports and replays and be able to record to a cloud unliimted dvr / unlimited time with no deletion and slo-mo DVR.

Thank goodness we have the Olympics for the best on the planet live sports video technology.

bjf

Just fyi , the guide does not show the ESPN game as HDR . Will check tonight
10-12-19%204%204kEvents.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Another interesting thing when looking at the guide hours ahead ...
None of them showed in HDR ... until you get up to the actual game cell ...
That said, it doesn't look like the Florida / LSU game is in HDR, the others are listed in the Info section as being as well as the guide cell .

Another interesting thing when looking at the guide hours ahead ...
None of them showed in HDR ... until you get up to the actual game cell ...
That said, it doesn't look like the Florida / LSU game is in HDR, the others are listed in the Info section as being as well as the guide cell .
Don’t go by that flag in the guide. It seems to bounce around

Reactions: Jimbo
I liked ESPN's commercial for the 4K event. They had to decide what event would be their first 4K broadcast, they could have done billiards, bowling, or the spelling bee, but instead chose football. It was a little funny, kind of making fun of themselves.

Reactions: longhorn23
I liked ESPN's commercial for the 4K event. They had to decide what event would be their first 4K broadcast, they could have done billiards, bowling, or the spelling bee, but instead chose football. It was a little funny, kind of making fun of themselves.
Do u have a link?

Would Dish even have the bandwidth available to broadcast 4 concurrent live 4K events even if they had agreements in place?

If you're talking about Dish network and it's ability for 4k. I was told the Hopper 3 can only record two live 4k streams at the same time.
It's only got 2 tuners that are are 4k. 16 HD tuners that can record at the same time.

At one point they had three lines in the guide for 4k but they are back to two.

I think at most only two 4k events were on at the same time since dish / 4k began with the Hopper 3.

bjf

Last edited:
Well surprise surprise the "WORLD LEADER IN SPORTS" finally got off it's ### and is doing something in 4k.

So while this is good news to see.
But I'm shaking my head.
First their hype borders on invention of the wheel. and they they say "“After months of planning ......" IT WILL ONLY BE ON DIRECTV.

So screw you Dish 4k viewers or any other outlet.

Really good way to show your committment to US viewers.
After MONTHS of planning and testing they cut ONE deal with Samsung and Directv.

LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing like NOT including everyone.

Since this news article is current it's pathetic that Dish, FIBOTV and cable companies aren't included.

And like many of you I will not be lied to twice.
Will wait to see if it's 100% REAL 4K HDR.
Or if ESPN is pulling a FOX and lying to America.

Just boggles the mind.
They plan for MONTHS and then offer it to ONE company.

Why the hell didn't they cut a deal with Netflix or Amazon for 4k streaming.
But it's ATYPICAL of the worthless disney corporation.

Let's hope this changes and lets everyone be able to come to the party.

bjf

Most don’t have internet lines fast enough to stream 4K. DIRECTV is the leader in real TV sports right now, so it makes perfect sense they would chose them. Also, sports on Netflix and Amazon? That’s funny, because they only specialize in entertainment right now, and they won’t be heading into sports in the near future. Sling and YouTube TV were the only options they really had. Also, not including everyone is extremely common in the Tv business. You don’t get Sunday Ticket, RedZone, 2TB DVR, and other stuff everywhere, that’s not how it works. Everyone’s different from each other, and that’s how it should be.

Do you have one of those curved TVs? How does it really look? I'm still hard set on flat screen (no curve), and am wondering what users think.
Yes I have a Samsung 4K curved TV
The "splash" screens are up for all 4 events and again, the ESPN one does NOT show HDR

Just tuned in to the ESPN LSU vs Fla game and I have to say the 4K version ESPN is producing looks way better than the TNF game fox does, even without the HDR. Fox needs to get their act together in development and start innovating in 4K workflows for the stuff that's holding them back. NBC for that as well. 4K should now be the new standard.

Reactions: longhorn23
Just tuned in to the ESPN LSU vs Fla game and I have to say the 4K version ESPN is producing looks way better than the TNF game fox does, even without the HDR. Fox needs to get their act together in development and start innovating in 4K workflows for the stuff that's holding them back. NBC for that as well. 4K should now be the new standard.
I disagree

Are u also looking at the nebraska fox 4k game , it looks amazing

Also some of the camera angles of the ESPN broadcast are grainy like after a play when they switch cameras to a different player. Dont get me wrong the normal field cameras do look good . But I still say as of now fox sports does the best

I disagree

Are u also looking at the nebraska fox 4k game , it looks amazing

Also some of the camera angles of the ESPN broadcast are grainy like after a play when they switch cameras to a different player. Dont get me wrong the normal field cameras do look good . But I still say as of now fox sports does the best

Yep, ESPN is hands-down better. I'm also viewing on an 85 LG UHDTV inch and can most definitely see the differences. Also the NBC game seems to be having issues, but it is in Dolby Atmos / 4K HDR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)