ESPN U....D* getting it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

J_slimz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 10, 2003
I just saw a commercial during the Duke vs. Georgia Tech (go Jackets) about ESPNU.....and in the corner of the picture was the D* logo...anyone know? maybe they will launch it and EPN2HD at the same time? :)

Yes, D* will have it. Doesn't mean ESPN2HD will launch at the same time. D* can add ESPN2HD right now if they want to, but they've said they aren't because there isn't even HD content on it right now to justify the extra bandwidth/compression they'd have to do to their lineup.

Also it appears as if ESPNU might actually be in the sporks pack and not the tc lineup.

If it's on channel 609 does that mean I have to subscribe to the Sports package to get it or will I be able to get it with just the Total Choice Plus package?

Chris

From todays Multichannel News

ESPNU to Kick Off with 3M Subs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By R. Thomas Umstead 2/23/2005 5:07:00 PMESPN’s college-sports-targeted network, ESPNU, will launch March 4 in front of 3 million subscribers, according to ESPNU executives.

The network -- which will offer live college-sports events from existing ESPN football, basketball and other NCAA sports agreements -- will bow on Adelphia Communications Corp.’s digital-basic tier, as well as DirecTV Inc.’s “Sports Pack” premium-programming tier, according to ESPNU vice president and general manager Burke Magnus.

He added that the network is currently negotiating with other MSOs for digital-basic carriage.

Read the rest at http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA506208.html?display=Breaking+News&referral=SUPP

ESPN-U is also listed as channel 609 in the latest DirecTV The Guide. I'd say it's a lock to launch in March.

J_slimz said:
I just saw a commercial during the Duke vs. Georgia Tech (go Jackets) about ESPNU.....and in the corner of the picture was the D* logo...anyone know? maybe they will launch it and EPN2HD at the same time? :)

I saw the D* logo on the same ad on MediaCom cable... Looks like it's part of the ad, not a D* addon.

same folks that "get" ESPN2-HD. That stinks that this is a teir channel, oh well.

I agree. This might cause me to get the sports pack, though (also for CSTV, which I'm sure D* modeled this "tier" after

From the web-site........
BREAKING NEWS
ESPNU to launch on DIRECTV
Collegiate multi-sport station ESPNU will debut on DIRECTV March 4 on ch. 609. The timing is right for the station, which launches on the eve of the NCAA basketball championship marathon known as March Madness. In its first month alone, ESPNU will broadcast 25 college basketball matches not seen on either of its sister stations ESPN or ESPN2. Roughly 300 live events will round out the ESPNU itinerary this year, including coverage of football, baseball, softball, volleyball, lacrosse, hockey and wrestling matches.

BFG said:
D* can add ESPN2HD right now if they want to, but they've said they aren't because there isn't even HD content on it right now to justify the extra bandwidth/compression they'd have to do to their lineup.

And there is enough HD content to justify ESPNHD??? HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!
Why sign a contract to broadcast a channel and then not broadcast it?????

I emailed DirecTV about ESPN U and this is their response:

DIRECTV recently announced plans to carry ESPNU, the 24 hour network dedicated to college sports. Beginning March, 4 ESPNU will be part of the DIRECTV SPORTS Pack on channel 610.

Please visit DIRECTV.com/packages for more information or to add the DIRECTV SPORTS Pack and stay tuned to DIRECTV.com for the latest news and information about our service.

ESPN hd kinda stinks.
i sure wouls like to see some other channels go HD, like speed channel.

just wanted to bump this. Channel is scheduled to go live 7pm (est I believe). channel 609, part of the Sports Pack.

edit* I am corrected. Its 7pm EST/6pm CST

I am not sure why so many do not have TC Premier ... I see this as the only affordable option with DirecTV. That adds the sports pack and all the other packs. It chaps my butt that the HD Pack is not included in this. Perhaps I'll start a petition. I am not much of a college sports fan but I do have the sports pack in TC Premier and it will be nice to see the addition of more sports to TV … never too many.

I am going to go out on a very short limb and say that ESPNU should probably be called ESPNPU because it is going to stink. Sorry, but seeing both male and female gymnastics, swimming, track, chess, lacross, horseback riding, soccer, softball etc......just isn't worth the extra $ for programming.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)