ESPN2 HD and other channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Barneypoo69 said:
there is the one side of me that is so excited to just hear how the folks in the 1st group get taken care of

I, for one, can't wait to see how they take care of us in the 1st group. Hope to hear something in a few weeks. Unfortunately I will be out of town on business the weekend that the Satellite goes up and probably won't be able to hear anything until the middle of the following week.

LonghornXP said:
ESPN 2 HD and TNT HD will be in the HD Package for no extra cost. Now when the big additions come to the HD Package later on you most likely will see an increast to around 13-16 bucks a month but the lineup would be pretty worth it.
When I signed up for the HD package 2 months ago, the CSR told me it would be $14.95. I told her that it says$10 on the website. She then said that I was correct, that the $14.95 is the future price. So maybee that is the price they have planned when they add more HD. But it will be worth it if they have 150 HD Nationals!!!!!

vurbano said:
Could you have said anything more ignorant? I bash D* all of the time and even I know that those 2 channels will be added.

Well Mr Voomer can you show me in "writing" from D* and not hearsay,,,,,,,,I think not!

rkr0923 said:
Well Mr Voomer can you show me in "writing" from D* and not hearsay,,,,,,,,I think not!

DirecTV has never publically stated that they will add TNT-HD, though it'd be a shock if they didn't. However, it has been publically stated that ESPN2-HD will be added to the HD package this year.

~Alan

LonghornXP said:
The announcement will occur after spaceway 2 goes up in space. If that takes longer the announcement will take longer. Only time will tell and time does cure all except old age.

Ouch!!!!
and all this time I thought you & me were buddies...... :no

barney............I do use caps...but I'm beat down now...

D* told me 2 years ago they were working on TNT HD, therefore I believe nothing I hear and half of what I see

vurbano is the biggest idiot of all.....supporting doom, I mean voom all that time. what a waste

Hopefully this will bring competition between D* and E* and maybe prices will stay where they are.

The last time that I was talking to somebody in the "HD department" at D*, I asked him if he had heard any "rumors" about future HD channels, and he said that he can't say for sure, but he has heard something about TNTHD and ESPN2HD, but nothing else anytime soon(other than locals.) I do believe after talking to him that those are the only 2 additions that we'll see this year....... :(

Does anyone know if/when they add ESPN2-HD and/or TNT-HD if they will be in the MPEG2 format - i.e., I'll still be able to use my existing hardware to view it?

I assume that whatever the other x many channels that are supposed to be coming later will all be MPEG4.

Can anyone clarify?

deArgila said:
Does anyone know if/when they add ESPN2-HD and/or TNT-HD if they will be in the MPEG2 format - i.e., I'll still be able to use my existing hardware to view it?

I assume that whatever the other x many channels that are supposed to be coming later will all be MPEG4.
Can anyone clarify?

Its most likely any new national HD channels will be in MPEG2, at least for the next year or so. From what we know, the transition to MPEG4 will start with the spot beam local HD channels in the first 12 markets, but that won't occur until later this year, possible not until next year. Until a significant number of markets have MPEG4 capability, it would be a waste to put national HD channels in MPEG4.

deArgila said:

Can anyone clarify?

That's a good question deArgila. Given that my home city is not in the top 12 markets, it would stink for me if ESPN2-HD and TNT-HD were made part of the MPEG4 format. That would mean a lengthy wait for me, I'm afraid. Hopefully, Billbillw is correct that any new HD channels would be in MPEG2 format. That would be the logical choice, assuming that D* has the space to do it.

I think the best choice for D* would be to place all MPEG2 HD channels on the Spaceway sats. Hopefully PQ will be improved on the new sats and new national channels can be added as well. This way people will be encouraged to upgrade to MPEG4 and not stay with a smaller, compromised HD package. Comcast does this all the time. Certain areas get certain channels before others. Once the ball starts rolling, I have a feeling things will move quickly. hardware issues aside, the main programming wait would then be LIL rollouts.

sltmag said:
I think the best choice for D* would be to place all MPEG2 HD channels on the Spaceway sats. Hopefully PQ will be improved on the new sats and new national channels can be added as well. This way people will be encouraged to upgrade to MPEG4 and not stay with a smaller, compromised HD package. Comcast does this all the time. Certain areas get certain channels before others. Once the ball starts rolling, I have a feeling things will move quickly. hardware issues aside, the main programming wait would then be LIL rollouts.

This would be in D*'s best interests... Make all new national programming MPG4 and phase out MPG2 gradually. That makes much more sense than waiting till LIL rolls across the country. Subs will more quickly adapt to the new hardware changes (while 'enlisting' for another 2 years) and D* can swtich people over at an exponential rate. All new subs will be MPG4 anyway, so the faster they get existing subs to convert, the better. You have to think of what a drag it would be for them to support MPG2 boxes 3 and 4 years from now because some folks just won't get off the dime and upgrade. :rolleyes: Now it's all starting to make sense to me....DUH!

sltmag said:

The SpaceWay satellites won't work with current HDTV receivers.

~Alan

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts