ESPN2 HD and other channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
LonghornXP said:
Again new HD channels can only be offered by giving the customer a new box. Again if they have to do this no matter what they choose they might as well give customers an incentive todo it quicker.

You sure about that? From my reckoning, they *could* use existing boxes (Albeit with a firmware upg to handle the new orbital slots), in combo with the new 5-LNB dishes (with integrated switch/etc), and expand that way as a stopgap. I'll keep thinking that until I see a real, working, MPEG4 box :)

hancox said:
You sure about that? From my reckoning, they *could* use existing boxes (Albeit with a firmware upg to handle the new orbital slots), in combo with the new 5-LNB dishes (with integrated switch/etc), and expand that way as a stopgap. I'll keep thinking that until I see a real, working, MPEG4 box :)

I'm very sure that current HD boxes won't work for these reasons below.

1. None of the current HD boxes has a chip that is able to decode an MPEG4 signal even with a firmware update. The chips just can't handle it.

2. Most if not all current HD boxes can't recieve KA signals even with the new dish. The orbital slots I believe can be added via software update that having this still doesn't help with the above. Actually its meaningless.

LonghornXP said:

1. None of the current HD boxes has a chip that is able to decode an MPEG4 signal even with a firmware update. The chips just can't handle it.

2. Most if not all current HD boxes can't recieve KA signals even with the new dish. The orbital slots I believe can be added via software update that having this still doesn't help with the above. Actually its meaningless.

LonghornXP,

Will I still get the HD locals out of market when the new upgrade occurs? I get NY & LA channels in HD now. What I mean is since I am not in the first 25 markets, #61 for me, will I still be able to receive NY & LA HD locals when/if they switch all HD to MPEG-4.

Chado said:
I guess Baylor and Tulane wasn't good enough for you last night.....

I think everyone needs to get some patience.... What BS?? You mean being on this message board and getting advance information that is making everyone pull their hair out?

Do what you want, it doesn't matter to me, but chances are you will be happy you waited and will wonder why you actually stressed out about this in the first place...

I am pulling what little hair I do have out. The games on ESPN-HD were wonderful. But the Texas vs Baylor game was on ESPN2......
I'll keep waiting.......& waiting & waiting........

Barney

LonghornXP said:

Sorry - I inferred, but didn't state, that this would be on MPEG2 on the spaceways. So # 1 isn't in play.

As for #2, wouldn't the built-in switch take care of the KA vs KU ?

Barneypoo69 said:
I am pulling what little hair I do have out. The games on ESPN-HD were wonderful. But the Texas vs Baylor game was on ESPN2......
I'll keep waiting.......& waiting & waiting........

Barney

I hear ya!!! I guess my point was, if we weren't on this forum, we may be living a blissful ignorant life rather than waiting each day for Santa to come with the new goodies!!!

Hang in there bro!!

gopokes said:
I am begining to wonder if anyone has a real cluse what D is going to do. It was fun to go back and read post from a year ago about D adding TNTHD, etc...With all the rumors and reports going around you would think Directv would put an end to the crap and shed some light. I am not going anywhere, but it's getting old.

I am with him :yes

hancox said:
Sorry - I inferred, but didn't state, that this would be on MPEG2 on the spaceways. So # 1 isn't in play.

As for #2, wouldn't the built-in switch take care of the KA vs KU ?

Even if they broadcast in MPEG2 from the spaceway and lets just say that a built-in switch could handle the KA signal that still doesn't make current boxes support the newer 8PSK that these new satellites will be using. I think its 8PSK but for some reason I can't think of this. It might be something else. Maybe another member can correct me on this.

Now, tonite the ASU vs Fla on ESPN isn't HD.........this isn't D* fault...but man..when are the program provders get their chit together.......why is one HD the next isn't........sorry...rant..........for those of us that have HDTV's...and the move to HD...........never mind........wait & wait & wait.... :(

Barney

Barneypoo69 said:
Now, tonite the ASU vs Fla on ESPN isn't HD.........this isn't D* fault...but man..when are the program provders get their chit together.......why is one HD the next isn't........sorry...rant..........for those of us that have HDTV's...and the move to HD...........never mind........wait & wait & wait.... :(

Barney

I agree and would love to have more sports in HDTV but I can't find it in my heart to complain when I looked at sports in HDTV about two years ago. To put things simply we didn't have jack chit two years ago and these last 6 months have had more sports in HDTV than the last almost three years before combined. When I bought my HDTV set in 1999 I thought it was the stupidest thing I've ever done. I don't even think I had one HD channel at first. I think HBO HD came even after that and that was the first ever cable based channels to go HDTV and we had a good few year staff before the second appeared and that was Showtime HD.

I know I'm sounding like I'm supporting ESPN but I'm not but we also have to remember to be thankfull that we get as much as we have been getting. If you haven't had an HDTV set two years ago or more you would be going nuts and shooting yourself compared to now.

the way it looks there is only one HD production Truck in the whole USA..............if it's in Texas for NBA on ABC (which is part of ESPN) it can't be in (wherever the NCCA is)

LonghornXP said:
I agree and would love to have more sports in HDTV but I can't find it in my heart to complain when I looked at sports in HDTV about two years ago. To put things simply we didn't have jack chit two years ago and these last 6 months have had more sports in HDTV than the last almost three years before combined. When I bought my HDTV set in 1999 I thought it was the stupidest thing I've ever done. I don't even think I had one HD channel at first. I think HBO HD came even after that and that was the first ever cable based channels to go HDTV and we had a good few year staff before the second appeared and that was Showtime HD.

I know I'm sounding like I'm supporting ESPN but I'm not but we also have to remember to be thankfull that we get as much as we have been getting. If you haven't had an HDTV set two years ago or more you would be going nuts and shooting yourself compared to now.

I agree I remember when I first bought mine I think there was no more than 1 show a month so we have made progress but like everyone else I want it all in HD

rkr0923 said:
the way it looks there is only one HD production Truck in the whole USA..............if it's in Texas for NBA on ABC (which is part of ESPN) it can't be in (wherever the NCCA is)

That seems to make sense especially since Wednesday Night Baseball wasn't in HD either. If I remember correctly...

rkr0923 said:

College World Series is in Neb...

This is going to take forever...........sidenote: doesn't look like Sony & Toshiba aren't going to shake hands (Bu-Ray vs HD-DVD) so having movies on HD discs (hope it doesn't turn out like the dieing if not dead multi-channel music discs).

Barney

Get the only true HD media then... DTheater ;). We've been enjoying HD movies for years now! If more people had adopted it, maybe it would have gone somewhere :(

"looks there is only one HD production Truck in the whole USA"

Why is ESPN so cheap? Go to the HDNet website and look at the interior layout and photos of BOTH of their trucks!

Anyone care to pull up the salary's of the exec's? Then you know why they only have one HD truck.

Guys, there's dozens of trucks.

ESPN could lease one if they felt it was needed.

I think they just decide which games merit HD coverage/versus audience and income.

Of course, my ESPN-HD just went poof...(My 110 is blocked) so, other than a few HD-baseball games, i won't see much until the fall.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)