ESPN2-HD Launch Rumor

Status
Please reply by conversation.

garydean

Original poster
Aug 26, 2004
kidjay, a purported DirecTV employee, is reporting on AVS TiVo forum that ESPN2-HD will launch on 9/8/2005.

asousa said:
The question is will it be MPEG-2 or 4! I hope 2 seeing that I just bought a HR10-250

There will not be any MPEG4 gear out to any national users (those outside the #12 and #14 DMAs and lower) so WHY would they release a national channel with a compression scheme they can't decode?

MY above comment assumes that at least DMAs 1-11 and 13 have been upgraded by this rumor 9/08 date (aka the top 12 markets), if this has not happened, please edit my comments to reflect that NO ONE will be able to receive the signal if it were MPEG4.

charper1 said:
There will not be any MPEG4 gear out to any national users (those outside the #12 and #14 DMAs and lower) so WHY would they release a national channel with a compression scheme they can't decode?

MY above comment assumes that at least DMAs 1-11 and 13 have been upgraded by this rumor 9/08 date (aka the top 12 markets), if this has not happened, please edit my comments to reflect that NO ONE will be able to receive the signal if it were MPEG4.

The H20 (MPEG4 HD box and interactive) should be out around that time or shortly after. You can pre-order it right now if you want.

BUT as I said the masses (some 95% or more) will NOT be using this box. So are you saying that this one, unreleased box will justify ESPN2-HD being MPEG4? I can't see that in my wildest dreams. At best it might be beamed both MPEG2/4, but in reality I see it as MPEG2 only for now.

There also is NO way I will pre-order a 1st generation box let alone pay any $$ until DirecTV officially announces what channels I am going to get added or what I am going to be offered after 9 years of service and also being one of the initial adopters of their HD services.

As much as I want this channel, I would rather have TNT-HD first because of the NASCAR races.

Ok we were begging, now we are choosing. Lets be happy with just a little progress and go from there.

JeffreyDJ said:
I'd have preferred TNT-HD myself ... But, with college football right around the corner, I won't complain about ESPN2 either. :)

...and it's only 2 1/2 months to midnight madness :)

------
another HD lite just what we need.

TNT HD would be better.
------

And TNT-HD won't be "HD-Lite", how? :p

EDIT: BTW, "HD-Lite" usually refers to reduced resolution (usually for 1080i), not reduction in bitrate. ESPN/ESPN2 HD are in 720p whose resolution won't change. If you are talking about reduced bitrate, then the other satellite provider and most of the cable service providers would fall into that practice.

Hong.

Chado said:
Ok we were begging, now we are choosing. Lets be happy with just a little progress and go from there.

Since neither one is actually on, I can beg for anyone I want. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)