ESPN's "3" - Horrible PQ - was it Dish, my 811 or ESPN ?

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
Just curious if everone else that saw "3" last night on ESPN-HD thought the PQ was as horrendeous as I thought it was. I fooled with all my settings but could not improve the picture and actually switched over to SD on my 508 to watch the rest of it.

I'd like to know if it was a problem with Dish, my 811 or ESPN-HD.

WaltinVt

Did you all even watch the same movie that I did?!? I thought it looked pretty good myself. Remember...ALOT of the old race footage would have been from old race broadcasts, some up to 20 years old. In ESPNs early days, the race broadcasts werent much, so they probably didnt have much in the way of film quality to work with. The newly filmed portions looked great.

DWS44 said:
Did you all even watch the same movie that I did?!? I thought it looked pretty good myself. Remember...ALOT of the old race footage would have been from old race broadcasts, some up to 20 years old. In ESPNs early days, the race broadcasts werent much, so they probably didnt have much in the way of film quality to work with. The newly filmed portions looked great.

i know hd was not around in the 70s and 80s. overall the quality of the picture was horrible.

I watch the Pro Bowler tour every Sunday and that look lik sh*t also. Goes to show we are getting ripped for as much actual HD they provide.

i just saw a commercial that they are going to release a two disc dvd set on the 14th. i wonder if it will have better quality.

I thought most of it looked fine, of coarse I agree with what was mentioned above, a lot of the film was old and definatley not HD, but the "movie" i.e. not old footage looked absolutly fine.

Maybe this will encourage someone to do a mini-series

ESPN’s 3 Gets 4M Households
Multichannel.com 12/14/04

ESPN’s debut of made-for-TV movie 3 Saturday night raced to become the total-sports network’s highest-rated movie ever.

The telepic earned a 5.0 Nielsen Media Research rating, and it was seen in more than 4 million households, ESPN said.

The two-hour story of late National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing legend Dale Earnhardt was the year’s second-highest-rated movie on ad-supported cable, ESPN said.

3 was ESPN’s highest-rated movie ever among all key male demographics (18-34, 18-49 and 25-54) and the most-viewed program on all of TV from 9 p.m.-11 p.m. Saturday among men in those same age groups.

ESPN also announced that ESPN Original Entertainment and Buena Vista Home Entertainment released 3 on DVD Tuesday.

The two-DVD set contains five hours of exclusive bonus footage and interviews from ESPN’s archives, and its suggested retail price is $29.99.

“We at ESPN know well the passion of NASCAR fans, and their approval of 3 is the most gratifying endorsement we could receive,” ESPN executive vice president of programming and production Mark Shapiro said in a prepared statement.

NightRyder

I thought it looked awful as well. I checked the PQ from Dish and Voom and they both sucked. They used some kind of filter over the lens to give it that old look and they inserted a bunch of SD upconverted video into the movie.

The best scene I saw was when Dale & Jr. were on the dock at night at Jr's house, the PQ was stellar for that one scene, the rest of the movie ranged from horrible to almost OK.

It looked very good on mine?? I actually enjoyed it watched the whole thing. Tood bad they showed commercials. But it did look great on my 50" panny Lcd rptv. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)