ESPN's first 4k event ever!!

Thanks for the ESPN 4k reviews.

Would love to see it.

The fact that two picky 4k viewers saw it here and posted opposing views shows isn't to assuring.
Sounds like ESPN needs to improve as they should have gotten both of you if they are indeed better than Fox.

I would like to hear more detailed reviews.

I did see the 4k Nebraska game with the Fox Sports APP, FUBOTV APP and Dish Networks 4k channel.
Dish was better looking and sharper than the two internet streams. And the contrast and color were better with Dish.

That said the Fox Sports APP was similar but darker.
A bit like they had their contrast too low on the output. You could of course tweek the tv.
I used the same HDMI jack and just swapped cables.

FUBO TV was dark too but that 30 frame per second just doesn't cut it.
FUBO TV better get it together or 4k or just call it a day.
Nobody is going to pay for that crap.

The 4k ALSC Yankees v. Astros game is unbelievably bad.
Doesn't even look in any way close to 4k.
Close ups and wide shots are completely soft. Terrible.
But when I've seen games on Directv 4k of MLB it's the same.
Nothing impressive for 4k.

Compared to the local Fox channel it's higher bitrate on 4k and thus less artifacting.
That is all. Sharpness is minimally better. So this 1080p is a fail IMO.

The Nebraska football game on Dish was the best of my viewing options tonight.
Sharp good color and few glitches.

The Fox app froze a couple times on the Nebraska game in my brief test comparison.
And there were more noticeable glitches or lit hiccups in the signal skipping.

I"m guessing Directv had the best of everyone tonight.

Would like to hear more viewers EPSN 4k reviews.

bjf

Well surprise surprise the "WORLD LEADER IN SPORTS" finally got off it's ### and is doing something in 4k.

So while this is good news to see.
But I'm shaking my head.
First their hype borders on invention of the wheel. and they they say "“After months of planning ......" IT WILL ONLY BE ON DIRECTV.

So screw you Dish 4k viewers or any other outlet.

Really good way to show your committment to US viewers.
After MONTHS of planning and testing they cut ONE deal with Samsung and Directv.

LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing like NOT including everyone.

Since this news article is current it's pathetic that Dish, FIBOTV and cable companies aren't included.

And like many of you I will not be lied to twice.
Will wait to see if it's 100% REAL 4K HDR.
Or if ESPN is pulling a FOX and lying to America.

Just boggles the mind.
They plan for MONTHS and then offer it to ONE company.

Why the hell didn't they cut a deal with Netflix or Amazon for 4k streaming.
But it's ATYPICAL of the worthless disney corporation.

Let's hope this changes and lets everyone be able to come to the party.

bjf

Yup screw Dish :)

If you're talking about Dish network and it's ability for 4k. I was told the Hopper 3 can only record two live 4k streams at the same time.
It's only got 2 tuners that are are 4k. 16 HD tuners that can record at the same time.

At one point they had three lines in the guide for 4k but they are back to two.

I think at most only two 4k events were on at the same time since dish / 4k began with the Hopper 3.

bjf

If the Hopper 3 can only record 2 4K events at once that's a deliberate software limitation, there is no such thing as a "4K tuner", they are delivered just like HD channels - they just take up more of a transponder. The Hopper 3 is built the same way as the HS17, using two chips that contain 8 tuners each - all identical.

Which game are you guys referring to
The ESPN broadcast
20191012_201856.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

On, a side note ....
The MLB game is on in 4k tonight, I watched some of it and turned it off and now watching back on the Non 4k channel Fox Sports 1 on D* as the picture on the 4k channel was dark in comparison ...

Thanks for the ESPN 4k screen pic.

Definately good color and brightness/contrast.

bjf

If the Hopper 3 can only record 2 4K events at once that's a deliberate software limitation, there is no such thing as a "4K tuner", they are delivered just like HD channels - they just take up more of a transponder. The Hopper 3 is built the same way as the HS17, using two chips that contain 8 tuners each - all identical.

This is the info from some senior techs that informed me of the two 4k limit on recordings channels.
Sounded like a built in limit due to new technology of 4k and few channels 2 years back.
But they did say even if they added more 4k channels (for a while dish had a 3rd 4k channel it's gone now), that you still could not record more than
two of them at the same time.

Of course all that could be wrong info given to me.
But there currently is no way to test like you could with DTV.

It would be cool if dish did let you record 16 4k channels at the same time.
What future year will it be when there are 16 live 4k shows / games on at the same time. lol
Gonna be a while.

I will say the dish hopper 3 does work for recording 16 tuners but it pushes the limits of the box processing power.
I've seen it lock up and reboot on it's own because it can't handle all that recording. Sometimes if you are recording and deleting
some items in dvr it will taken it over the edge and it needs to reboot.

But overall it's a solid dvr.

bjf

I'm curious to see if the MLB issue is cleared up tomorrow or if it is still dark .... not as bad as the HDR issue but still darker than I'd like to see.

It's actually todays game, Astros and Yankees I saw was going to be on.

I haven't noticed the picture on the 4k Yankee game to be dark at all.