ESPNU HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Any hope of getting ESPNU HD before the end of football season?

The freakin channel hasn't even launched yet, and you're griping about not getting it before the end of the season?? Am I confident we'll get it at launch? No. But, I would hope that we'll get it fairly soon. I guess I'm an optimist (especially compared to you).

The freakin channel hasn't even launched yet, and you're griping about not getting it before the end of the season?? Am I confident we'll get it at launch? No. But, I would hope that we'll get it fairly soon. I guess I'm an optimist (especially compared to you).
It was a question not a complaint & was asked related to Dish's seemingly ongoing issues with ABC/ESPN. Chill!

I am told by a friend at ESPN that Dish will have it by the end of the year. I am also told that there is no deal currently for the channel in HD on DirecTV.

Scott,
Do you know if ESPN is going to show more college basketball in HD this season? They do a good job of getting most college football (except for ABC) in HD, but there were a tremendous amount of CB games still in SD.

Scott,
Do you know if ESPN is going to show more college basketball in HD this season? They do a good job of getting most college football (except for ABC) in HD, but there were a tremendous amount of CB games still in SD.

That is one thing that really makes me mad (the non HD regional ABC games). If you are going to put it on ABC, for goodness sake, do it in HD!!!

I am told by a friend at ESPN that Dish will have it by the end of the year. I am also told that there is no deal currently for the channel in HD on DirecTV.

This is not good news (if you're a football fan). I think we all know that "by the end of the year" is Dish speak for 12/31/08 at 11:59pm. That means we'll miss the entire football season. If this is true, I agree with the sentiments of the initial post of this thread.

Why does Dish always have to add bunches of channels at a time? Is it for marketing purposes? They don't seem to be nimble enough to add quickly.

Why does Dish always have to add bunches of channels at a time? Is it for marketing purposes? They don't seem to be nimble enough to add quickly.

I am pretty sure it is for better press.

Or look at it this way, they added WGN-HD by itself... made a little murmur. They add the lifetimes, planet green, cbs college, and a ton of premiums, much more is made of it.

Being the huge SEC fan that I am, I'm really excited about the new deal. Can't wait to get ESPNUHD, if not in time for football season I hope we at least get it for basketball season.

I hope ESPNU HD will be a part of the 150 HD channels promised by year end.

I just hope E* does not pull a D* and just add tons of RSN and PPV to read that number. As it seems it is in E* best interest not to add too many "Must Have HD" before Jan 1 because of HD Absolute package. The HD Absolute package will get all channels add in HD till the end of 2008 and no new channels will be added to that package.

Personally as an HD Absolute sub I would love for E* to add good channels but I was told when I signed up any new channel added after Jan 1st I would not receive unless I switched to HD Turbo package. So from a business point of view it would make sense for E* not to add any channels that they think would delay people switching from HD Absolute to Turbo HD package as HD Absolute package is $20 cheaper than a comparable Turbo HD package. I was told I would be allowed to keep HD Absolute package as long as I wanted if I was happy with the channel line up on Jan 1st 2009.

So I think E* might just add channels they think have too and nothing more in an effort to be able to add tons of new channels in Jan to entice HD Absolute sub to switch over to HD Turbo thus increasing E* revenue on those subs.

It was a question not a complaint & was asked related to Dish's seemingly ongoing issues with ABC/ESPN. Chill!

You mean the "issues" where DISH carries nearly every HD channel that Disney owns even a stake in? Disney, ABC, ESPN, A&E, Lifetime...

C&I-HD is the only one I can think of they don't have, but I'm not sure if that launched yet.

DISH has issues with Viacom, Fox...well almost everyone, actually. But not Disney. (or NBC, I guess.)

I just hope E* does not pull a D* and just add tons of RSN and PPV to read that number. As it seems it is in E* best interest not to add too many "Must Have HD" before Jan 1 because of HD Absolute package. The HD Absolute package will get all channels add in HD till the end of 2008 and no new channels will be added to that package.

Personally as an HD Absolute sub I would love for E* to add good channels but I was told when I signed up any new channel added after Jan 1st I would not receive unless I switched to HD Turbo package. So from a business point of view it would make sense for E* not to add any channels that they think would delay people switching from HD Absolute to Turbo HD package as HD Absolute package is $20 cheaper than a comparable Turbo HD package. I was told I would be allowed to keep HD Absolute package as long as I wanted if I was happy with the channel line up on Jan 1st 2009.

So I think E* might just add channels they think have too and nothing more in an effort to be able to add tons of new channels in Jan to entice HD Absolute sub to switch over to HD Turbo thus increasing E* revenue on those subs.

Like counting Game-only RSN's and HD-VOD?

Like counting Game-only RSN's and HD-VOD?

Exactly or adding premium channels as those you need to pay for to get anyways and they count them in there total HD channel count anyways.

I know D* has 14 more game time only HD RSN channels over E* and D* is up to 27 HD PPV which is almost double as many as E* even counting all HD-VOD and HD PPV channels E* currently has.

So between the missing 6 Showtime HD, 3 HD Starz, 2 HD HBO and 3 HD Cinemax channels + missing HD RSN and adding a couple of PPV E* could reach that goal of 150 easy considering E* currently has there count at 118 and if they just added all the missing premium in HD that would increase there count using there funny math to 132. If they added the missing RSN that takes E* to 146. Which means if E* just added 5 more HD PPV channels there count would be at over 150 channels.

I am by no means claiming the above are only thing they are going to add nor do I have any inside information on the subject. I have a felling E* might pull something like the above and then add a couple of normal HD channels too. Maybe just enough to keep new sub coming in and just enough to keep existing sub from fleeing to D*.

So if D* aggressively added new HD channels we might see E* follow suit but otherwise I think E* will be more than happy not to increase the current channel line too much before Jan 1st so that HD Absolute customers will have a compelling reason to migrate over to the more expensive HD Turbo packages over keeping there old HD absolute packages.

My understanding from someone on the mouse side of the equation is that Dish was not announced as a launch distributor because E11 will not be ready at launch. Once all the other channels have been transferred to E11, they expect Dish to add ESPNU-HD.

It could be that "by the end of the year" in Dish speak means that they just don't know exactly when E11 will be up and running and delivering a signal. It could also be a case of underpromising and overdelivering.

Given the objection filed with the FCC about E11's signal, if might be a while before they start moving things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)