Ethernet bridging with hopper?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JosephB

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Atlanta
Hey guys, I've been trying to find some info on this and have been finding conflicting information. I have a question about bridging between MoCA and ethernet on the Hopper.

My router is in a different room from the Hopper, and right now I just have the Hopper on wifi. I plan to get a coax run over to the router and use a Hopper Internet Connector to get the MoCA network connected to the internet.

Primarily I am doing this because the wifi in my tv equipment closet has really bad signal, so, I'd like to use this MoCA connection to get my Xbox, etc all connected.

The question: If I am using a HIC to get the MoCA network on the internet, and I'm not using wifi, can I connect one of the ethernet ports on the Hopper to a switch in order to bridge between the MoCA network and the ethernet side? Several older posts I found here and at other forums seem to indicate it wouldn't work in that direction, but it doesn't seem like it should matter if it's truly a bridge.

Yes you can, if the Hopper is getting it's Internet from a HIC or another Hopper, then you can enable bridging in network settings and use the Hopper's ethernet connectors for other devices.

Reactions: JosephB
If you're asking if you can get internet out of the second ethernet port on the back of the Hopper if you have a connection from your router going into the first port, the answer is no. I've tried it. :)

Yes you can, if the Hopper is getting it's Internet from a HIC or another Hopper, then you can enable bridging in network settings and use the Hopper's ethernet connectors for other devices.

Awesome, thanks!

If you're asking if you can get internet out of the second ethernet port on the back of the Hopper if you have a connection from your router going into the first port, the answer is no. I've tried it. :)

Fortunately this isn't what I need to do, the router is elsewhere and I'm using an HIC, and the internet will be coming into the Hopper via MoCA. The ethernet connection at the Hopper will be used to get my Xbox and Apple TV connected, just one ethernet connection at the Hopper. Sounds like an ethernet switch would be the solution to what you're talking about.

Awesome, thanks!

Fortunately this isn't what I need to do, the router is elsewhere and I'm using an HIC, and the internet will be coming into the Hopper via MoCA. The ethernet connection at the Hopper will be used to get my Xbox and Apple TV connected, just one ethernet connection at the Hopper. Sounds like an ethernet switch would be the solution to what you're talking about.
The Hopper has two Ethernet connectors. What you want to do, I am doing now with a HIC at the router and an Apple TV plugged into the Hopper. Have to power cycle whatever you plug into the Hopper to re-establish the HDCP and then it should work. No guarantee this will not be broken with some future update but has worked for years for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)