Ethernet Cable Modem problem...

gary08

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 19, 2005
I am trying to connect my cable modem (Toshiba PCX2500) to my 622 and cannot get a connection when I run the Broadband connection test. (want to use dishonline)

The green light stays on on the back of the 622 when I connect the cable, all lights are green on the modem.
I have researched the topic and the only thing that is different is I am not using a router, just going straight to the 622.

Should this matter?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Gary

You probably don't need a router, but are you disconnecting a PC and connecting directly to your 622 without resetting the cable modem? It's possible your cable company is doing mac filtering so it is expecting your PC but getting a 622 instead. A router would solve the problem, but try resetting the cable modem after connecting it to the 622.

You probably don't need a router, but are you disconnecting a PC and connecting directly to your 622 without resetting the cable modem? It's possible your cable company is doing mac filtering so it is expecting your PC but getting a 622 instead. A router would solve the problem, but try resetting the cable modem after connecting it to the 622.

Thanks, I was planning on just disconnecting the cable from my laptop when I wanted to use Dishonline, did not know I might have to reset the modem every time...I will try it and see which application works.

Gary

Hi Gary, A router is a real good idea as it helps hide your computer and the 622 for that matter from port scans and other undesirables from the Internet.

Go to grc.com and look for the shields up test. Run it as see how your laptop does now.

A good modern router should be able to get a perfect score.

Also, your lap top may already have 811 wireless built in. If so a wireless router would allow you to surf from any room in the house without installing Ethernet cables.

Hope this helps, DC

I use a linksys WRT54GL and connect it wirelessly to my other linksys router located on another floor in my house. It direct-connects to my vip722. You could just use the linksys and direct connect to the modem and vip622.

It's never a good thing to go straight from the modem to the computer. I was late in reading this, but other folks have already pointed that out to you.

The linksys is quite easy to setup and works very well. I had one laying around, but newegg.com has them for a good price. Just search on neweggs page for linksys wrt54gl.

Good luck!

I use a linksys WRT54GL and connect it wirelessly to my other linksys router located on another floor in my house. It direct-connects to my vip722. You could just use the linksys and direct connect to the modem and vip622.

It's never a good thing to go straight from the modem to the computer. I was late in reading this, but other folks have already pointed that out to you.

The linksys is quite easy to setup and works very well. I had one laying around, but newegg.com has them for a good price. Just search on neweggs page for linksys wrt54gl.

Good luck!

I just connected the WRT54GL and everything works fine.
Thanks to all.

Gary

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)