Ethernet via wireless bridge for 722?

kluken

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2004
OK GF is getting Dish and 722 and it needs either a phone line of Ethernet connection. Neither is anywhere near where the receiver will be. I can do wireless phone line, but they are pain. I am thinking baout a wireless bridge, has anyone tried one of them to get their receiver onto internet this way? If so how well is it working for you?

Look into the HomePlug option. This will allow your 722 to talk to your Internet router via the power lines so you don't have to run an ethernet cable.

I have one 722 connected to a Linksys Wireless Bridge WET54G. The other two 722s are cat5 connected thru a couple of Linksys switches to the router. They all work good.

Look into the HomePlug option. This will allow your 722 to talk to your Internet router via the power lines so you don't have to run an ethernet cable.

I second this. The 722 has HomePlug built into it, so all you need is a second HomePlug to Ethernet bridge plugged into the router to connect the 722 to the Internet.

i have used the gaming wireless adapter for like 15-20 bucks that I got a LONG time ago to help my PS2 get on the net. Works like a charm.

I second this. The 722 has HomePlug built into it, so all you need is a second HomePlug to Ethernet bridge plugged into the router to connect the 722 to the Internet.

I was going to do the home plug way, but had a spare bridge I wasn't using any longer. So, I put it to good use.

722 has Home PLug built in? Wow they never said a thing on the phone!! Idiots!! I guess I'll look into that since it is built in. How does Homeplug do across a surge supressor? And now I see that my 2 year old 622 seems to have HPA 1.0 capabilities as well? Wow they shodul really tell people about this stuff.

722 has Home PLug built in? Wow they never said a thing on the phone!! Idiots!! I guess I'll look into that since it is built in. How does Homeplug do across a surge supressor?

Do a search in this forum. It has been heavily discussed before. I think you have to have a special qualified surge supressor. Good Luck

722 has Home PLug built in? Wow they never said a thing on the phone!! Idiots!! I guess I'll look into that since it is built in. How does Homeplug do across a surge supressor? And now I see that my 2 year old 622 seems to have HPA 1.0 capabilities as well? Wow they shodul really tell people about this stuff.

Dish calls it "DishComm". It's in the 622, 722 and I believe the 211. Generally they tell you not to plug it into a surge protector because certain types will block the HomePlug signal. There are HomePlug certified surge protectors on the market. The HNP6 line from tii is one example, but I don't know where you can get these in retail (DirecTV sells them directly to their customers for networking their HR20/HR21 DVRs).

Frys (in Dallas anyway) has the Airlink Powerline Turbo ethernet adapter on sale for $29.99.

Tom in TX

So one last question, she now has a 722 and 222 so both have Homeplug, so I shoudl order one Homeplug adapter for sue to the router, will both the 722 and 222 work fine or will they somehow interfere with each other?

So one last question, she now has a 722 and 222 so both have Homeplug, so I shoudl order one Homeplug adapter for sue to the router, will both the 722 and 222 work fine or will they somehow interfere with each other?

HomePlug works just like Ethernet, where each node takes turns communicating, so they won't interfere with each other. You will only need another adapter to connect to the router. The last I heard, DishComm in the 222 hasn't been activated yet, but I don't have one so someone else will have to answer that issue.

Quick question guys, just got a xbox 360 I want to play online and I never hooked my 722 up via broadband either.

I already have a wireless network but cant get a ethernet line from my linksys router to the 722/X Box.

I have another linksys 4 port G band router sitting around, can I just set it up as a wireless bridge and the 722 and x box 360 into the 2nd router, then use it over my existing network?

Sorry im not to familiar in how to setup a router as a wireless bridge.

Will this work?

I forgot to mention on this that both linksys routers are wireless 4 port routers. If I reflash to 3rd party firmware I should be able to use the routers as the wireless bridge as I understand it.

I forgot to mention on this that both linksys routers are wireless 4 port routers. If I reflash to 3rd party firmware I should be able to use the routers as the wireless bridge as I understand it.

The linksys firmware may have such an option as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)