Ethernet ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DerrikM

Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
San Antonio TX
I am considering a change from Time Warner to Direct. I want to get all new wall drops done by the installer or through an independant contractor. I do have one question though.

I notice that there is an Ethernet connector on the back of the DVR, labeled "for future use". Does anyone have any idea as to plans for this connection? Would it be smart to run ethernet cabling alongside my other cabling? Could this be used to share content between DVRs? I would just run all cables to a central point in the attic and leave un-terminated until they are needed.

I just want to be prepared, but also do not want to go to all the expense of wiring 4 rooms needlessly.

DerrikM
San Antonio TX

You did not say what model you are talking about with the "Ethernet connector ". The new HR20/21's series you can connect the units to a network and share from a PC, only, pictures music and videos. You can also connect the internet and use VOD to download TV items from D* to your D*DVR. You can not at this time share between DVR's.

You can also connect the internet and use VOD to download TV items from D* to your D*DVR. You can not at this time share between DVR's.

can you explain this in more detail or point me to a place where info on this is located?

whilst the picture and music sharing has a minimal "cool" factor, I'm not sure it justifies running an ethernet cable - yet... :)

thanks!

If it's cheap and easy, run the cable. You'll probably want to network you receivers eventually. The ability to share recorded content between boxes will be here eventually. Of course if you don't, you can always use powerline to Ethernet adapters to network them later.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts