Even Cartoons Look Better on E*!

rickaren

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 7, 2004
IN
My Wifes Granddaughter came over this morning and has some addiction for the Cartoon Network. She has DirecTV at home and it is usually on here for her. After we watched a DVR DISH HD program on Kit Foxes I had saved for her, she asked my Wife if she could watch the Cartoon Network? She said it was on channel 296. I said we were on DISH not DirecTV but let me see if they have it too. She asked me why do you have both? (good question!) I found it on 176 and the first thing she said was " that picture sure looks better than on DirecTV|" Kids say the darnest things don't they?

Wouldn't your wife's granddaughter be your granddaughter too? :confused:

Anyways.....cool kid! :up

Our situation is different I guess. I married my wife who already had two kids and we never had more. Her daughter had a baby and we're Grandmother and Grandfather in everyone's eyes or Mimi and Poppit as she calls us.

Jhon69 said:
I must have something wrong with my TV.After having it professionally adjusted both E* and D* looks the same on my 50".

Is it possibly 720p?

Jhon69 said:
I must have something wrong with my TV.After having it professionally adjusted both E* and D* looks the same on my 50".

What receivers do you have? The VIP 622 DVR seems to be better than the 942 on SD. I can't believe D* & E* would look the same for either SD or HD on any TV?

rickaren said:
that picture sure looks better than on DirecTV[/B]|" Kids say the darnest things don't they?

I can attest to that. I was with E* for over two years. I just had a brief stint over at D* that lasted 3 weeks. I came back to E* two days ago because the standard picture on E* is HD compared to D*

rickaren said:
What receivers do you have? The VIP 622 DVR seems to be better than the 942 on SD. I can't believe D* & E* would look the same for either SD or HD on any TV?

I have Directv's D-11 before that for over 4 years I had Dish's DP301.I'm running the S-Video into a 50"Phillips Magnavox SD RPTV.With the DP301 I had channels that looked like HD and some were smooth.I have the same with the D11 then I have my DVD player into the component hookups and that's where this TV really shines.:)

Jhon69 said:
Sorry I didn't know that the Cartoon Network was being broadcast in HD.

I apologize. I misunderstood your comment. The Cartoon Network is SD. I meant your television not the channel.

Wow, I remember the day I got E* back in Sept 2000. Wow that PQ was outstanding. That was before "Must carry" took effect. PQ was really hit hard. But things used to be outstanding on Dish back then.

nazz said:
I apologize. I misunderstood your comment. The Cartoon Network is SD. I meant your television not the channel.

So what you meant was that people with HDTV's can see every little artifact due to compression?.If that's true then that sucks! E* and D*better get all these channels in HD quick!:)

The PQ for Cartoon Network in particular (well, for Nick as well actually) is really really good. It doesn't look like pure SD, more like EDTV (ie better than SD and less than HD). I'm not sure if it's just that the cartoons compress and uncompress better or not, but it looks really good.

rickaren said:
I have an old 13" CRT in my kitchen. It is TV-2 on our 622. With a small screen like that everything looks great - small, but great.;) Size is everything.

At 13" SD looks as good as HD. Heck, VHS taped shows look great.

Even on my wife's 37" Plasma it is quite forgiving of SD shortcomings - not entirely, but it makes SD viewing possible.

Jhon69 said:
So what you meant was that people with HDTV's can see every little artifact due to compression?.If that's true then that sucks! E* and D*better get all these channels in HD quick!:)

Yep. The compressed SD looks considerably worse on a large HDTV. When I first got mine this was very disturbing to me.

Compared D to E during a few installs /swaps and there is a noticeable diference between the 2 until I sat down and adjusted the tv for D before I swapped it over to E and then did the same with E, I also put new coax jumpers to the tv before swapping and afte doing all of this the gap narrowed considerably.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts