Eventually Voom will have to be FREE!!

fastfed

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 20, 2004
And what I mean is free installation, and a normal monthly charge per month..

The competetion is too strong for them to stay alive.. I only* ordered because it was free and 10.00 a month for the box.
Now they are charging 200.00 per box, and whatever else for a second box.. A normal hosue with TV users have atleast what, 3 TV's. So that would cost someone about 500.00 up front to get voom..

When you compare what's out there ( Cable, Direct TV, Dish, Digital, ETC.. )

All of them are cheaper than voom up front, and we all know its the upfront that makes us decide on getting a product...

All of them are cheaper than voom up front, and we all know its the upfront that makes us decide on getting a product...

I guess I disagree. That's not what I considered in getting VOOM. I got it because it offered things no other provider did. I hope VOOM continues to bet on content, not deals.

I agree, I ONLY got VOOM because of the no commitment and no upfront cost.

slffl said:
I agree, I ONLY got VOOM because of the no commitment and no upfront cost.
Ditto. They are going to have to do something about the $5/box extra charge though because it really adds to the bill. My equipment cost almost equals my programming charge. People with 4 or more receivers are paying throught the nose for all the extra stbs.

Hey, I paid almost $500 for DTV when I first got it. There were no alternatives at the time for satellite. And when I checked Dish they wanted to install 2 satellites for a higher rate. That was a few years ago but that's all that was available in satellite service. $199 is still cheaper than DTV.

Tvlman said:
Hey, I paid almost $500 for DTV when I first got it. There were no alternatives at the time for satellite. And when I checked Dish they wanted to install 2 satellites for a higher rate. That was a few years ago but that's all that was available in satellite service. $199 is still cheaper than DTV.

You answered your own statement..

That is because there was nothing else at the time.. No a days there are other companies..

The way Voom can easily fix the system is.. You get one HDTV receiver and if you want the other's are free ( up X amount ) but they are not HDTV..

I do not know about you guys but I only have one main tv, and its HDTV the rest are bedroom TV's ( And I will guess most of America is like this )

Back in 97 when I got Dish, they didn't even offer install, I picked up a model 3000 for $249, took it home and installed it myself.

how long before voom goes back to free install?my guess is this fall.people will be settling in for winter and watching more tv, buying hdtv's, and,if informed,they will want a service that will get the hd.just think when someone pays $200 for the install, and it goes as norm.im thinking it might be free anyways.ive read it all on here,everything from the installer scaling the house with no ladder breaking stuff on the way up, the installer hooking up the sd cables and calling it hd, and that is after you get them there.so if your complainig skills are good it might be free after 5-31.

DarrellP said:
Ditto. They are going to have to do something about the $5/box extra charge though because it really adds to the bill. My equipment cost almost equals my programming charge. People with 4 or more receivers are paying throught the nose for all the extra stbs.

:confused: I would think if you can afford "4 or more receivers" (that would incline you have 4 or more HDTV's) you can afford the five bucks a box. :)

I don't have 4 receivers, I have 2 and only 1 is hooked up to a HD display. I was saying above that there are many people who have 4+ receivers. It's not a matter of IF you can afford it or not, it's a matter of principle. To me, the $5 mirror fee is a ripoff, especially after paying for the $9.50/month lease. They should drop the $5 fee with a lease, since they will eventually earn all of the cost of the receiver plus some back in the long run.

It is not the additional outlet fee that will kill them (DirecTv and Dish charge this for each additional receiver), it is the $10 lease fee on each receiver that will kill them (unless it is for HD DVR - especially if it offers even more than what the Dish or Direct HD DVR's offer). $15 for each additional receiver is a hefty price, and if they charge more for the HD DVR receivers for the lease fee that will make it even worse. If that does not kill the deal then a DVR fee on top of that will. I do not think very many people will pay $20+ more per month for that (unless it had more than one tuner with more than one tv output).

Also Voom will need to offer more SD programming that Dish and Direct has and especially HD programming that has some really good content instead of some filler channels in the HD package just so you can say you have more HD content than anyone else. If the service is going to be more expensive then there needs to be something to show for it.

I would not have signed up for VOOM for $750 up front. As much interest as I had in finally getting some good HD content for my HDTV, I couldn't see spending that kind of money, especially on an unproven service. Though I didn't spend that kind of money on HD installations from either of the other two DBS providers, either. It was the free deal that of course made me get VOOM with hardly any hesitation. At $200 or $300 I might have done it, actually. $750 was just way too high for me.

As far as $15 per STB I totally agree. I was never fond of getting charged per STB with digital cable or DBS. That's why I still had analog cable until I got VOOM. I like having the ability to watch TV in a different room once in a while, but I rarely actually do it. Mostly I used different rooms to record different programs at the same time. Or sometimes I might watch something on my computer screen while I'm working or in bed just before turning in for the night. With basic analog cable I could put a TV, VCR, or TV tuner card anywhere in the house and jack in to any of 80 or so channels at any time without paying a dime more per month.

For people that want a four room installation (or more than that) I'd ask how many of those are HDTVs. If just one is an HDTV, you could sign up for basic analog cable for the rest of the TVs instead of $15 for each of 3 STBs and maybe even save a little money. I'm actually still getting just locals on my analog cable for $15/month and I'm considering dropping my second STB and having nothing but locals upstairs.

Ditto here that I only signed up becuase of the zero down/no commitment.

I have to believe that shortly after the time when people actually pay for installations that the new subscribership will drop substantially.

They need to give people a chance to do their own installation. They control the distribution of their STB, so theft of service is pretty much a non-issue.

I agree. In order to lure subscribers you need to be competitive with the competition. Also they need to move toward the one place solution for all your TV needs. It will not last if people still need to subscribe to cable or another satellite company to get all the channels they want......

I think Voom is not going to offer the promotion anymore to try to lower their customer acquistion costs or use the money to pay the retailers instead to sell their product. With Voom signing up several retailers now I think they plan on getting more new customers even without the offer continuing after the end of the month.

They will still get new customers, but only the idiots and the rich.... They will dorp atleast 60-80% in sales after this promotion!

fastfed said:
They will still get new customers, but only the idiots and the rich.... They will dorp atleast 60-80% in sales after this promotion!
Could I see that with a Venn Diagram..... Idiots & Rich.....

When I first heard about VOOM it was by mail. I read the ad and at the bottom .....a whopping $750. Not for me I said. Then they lowered it down to 0 upfront and I jumped on it. Really , Voom should keep the 0 upfront deal as a permanent offer. Its a very good way to keep attracting new customers.

dvr upgrade

it seems to me that voom is planning to upgrade their ird, to include dvr, the next upgrade after that seems to be one that would eliminate the need for multiple irds to hook to different sets. Of course i bet they will still charge the 5$ fee (multi tv connectivity fee it is called), but it would eliminate the 9.50 charge for the extra ird's

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts