Ever heard called Stirr apps?

N5XZS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Albuquerque, NM, USA
This app, bring in some out of town US stations. The video quality looks very good on smart phones. :) Nice to have CC!:bow

Drawback is blacking out out of town local ads.:rolleyes:

Can't stand out of town censorship by blocking out of town local ads. :rolleyes:

The app, at least in my area, does not bring in out of town stations. It is a Pluto like mix of low cost national channels. It is owned by Sinclair, and the first channel is "Stirr Channel" which is a remix of the local news and other non-network productions from the local Sinclair stations. This is nice for people who live where OTA is unavailable but still want/need local news and weather.

STIRR is one of my favorite free channel apps, available on the Roku and Fire TV. They are now up to nearly 60 channels. Sinclair who owns STIRR allows the news programs from station in any of their markets. A lot are smaller markets like Spokane, Eugene, Portland, etc. I do not think they have anything in LA, Chicago, or NYC. I live to the Pacific Northwest so I use KATU Portland. STIRR offers their diginets and a few others, plus a bunch of streaming only channels. We do not have TBD or Charge! here OTA, so it is nice to get those. They also have Comet, Stadium, and the new DABL. With STIRR, Pluto, XUMO, The Roku Channel, Tubi, etc. Gives a ton of free product.

Reactions: osu1991 and NYDutch
Gives a ton of free product.
A lot of which is scarcely worth what you paid for it.

It is interesting to note the 180 turn in favor regarding retransmission in the NAB. It used to be that they placed a high value on satellite retransmission but lately they've been fighting it tooth and nail. STIRR makes one wonder what Sinclair has in mind if they're trying to distance themselves from DIRECTV and DISH while offering their own version of distant locals.

I use Stirr, but use Pluto.TV more. Since Viacom the quality has gone up.

The local channel that shows for me is a station in Rhode Island.

A lot of which is scarcely worth what you paid for it.

It is interesting to note the 180 turn in favor regarding retransmission in the NAB. It used to be that they placed a high value on satellite retransmission but lately they've been fighting it tooth and nail. STIRR makes one wonder what Sinclair has in mind if they're trying to distance themselves from DIRECTV and DISH while offering their own version of distant locals.

Totally agree. Diginet type material which is free OTA. I think anything with ads should be free.