Everything is level and pointed to the right.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

psu190

Original poster
Dec 27, 2005
Hey guys, hopefully you can help me out. I live in Hawaii so it's hard to get an installer over where i'm at. So i resorted to trying this on my own. Bought a 24" voom dish to try to get the 119. Made sure everything is level, the mast and the base. Called dish told where to point and bought a compass to help, but nothing is coming up, read that I should have it on the 11 transpoder to get the best signal strength.
I'm using a "Y" yolk on the end of the arm to convert the square to the "D" type of dish pro. Should I get a "I" adapter instead since the lnfb will be in the middle instead off to the side.

I would call dish to come out and setup but it would take 3-4 weeks for someone to get out.

Anyhelp would be great, if not thanks for looking.

RLB190

I would recommend getting the I adapter if it will fit on the Voom dish. Best to have the LNB in the center, but off to the side should work too. But an off center LNB would require several degrees of compensation when aiming the Dish.

Things you might want to try:

1) Have you done a "Check Switch" yet?

2) Are you using magnetic or geographic north on your compass? You should be using geographic north. They can be up to 20 degrees apart.

3) Are you using an LNB that is compatible with your receiver?

4) Are you using RG6U cable? It should be UHF rated RG6.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
1) I did a check switch and it says "lnb status: direct connecct to a dp-dual, dp-dual2 good connection, no signal. So I assume everything is good.

2)Not sure about the compass, it's metal case liquid filled lensatic compass, liquid filled. Doesn't say anything else about what kind it is.

3)Yeah it's a dish plus dual lnb that is connected to a dish 301 receiver.

4)It is rg6 cable and rated uhf.

Even bought a cheap sf-95 sat finder to help me out, what good that thing does/did. The thing reads like it gets a sat signal but nothing on the screen. Strange..

Thanks though for suggestions.
rlb

psu190 said:
2)Not sure about the compass, it's metal case liquid filled lensatic compass, liquid filled. Doesn't say anything else about what kind it is.
I just looked it up and the compass magnetic declination in Hawaii is 10 degrees. This means that your compass needle points 10 degrees east of true north. Some compasses have an adjustment where you can set the declination. If it doesn't, then you'll need to aim your dish 10 degrees west of where the compass tells you.
psu190 said:
3)Yeah it's a dish plus dual lnb that is connected to a dish 301 receiver.
4)It is rg6 cable and rated uhf.
That combination should work fine.
psu190 said:
Even bought a cheap sf-95 sat finder to help me out, what good that thing does/did. The thing reads like it gets a sat signal but nothing on the screen. Strange..
I ordered an sf-95 myself yesterday (probably wouldn't have done that if I had read this first)! Oh well, it was only $11.95. Now I know why.

Have you tried using the "Point Dish" screen, instead of the sf-95 meter? (This might require a portable TV on your roof, a long power extension cord, and a composite video cable).

psu190 said:
Hey guys, hopefully you can help me out. I live in Hawaii so it's hard to get an installer over where i'm at. So i resorted to trying this on my own. Bought a 24" voom dish to try to get the 119. Made sure everything is level, the mast and the base. Called dish told where to point and bought a compass to help, but nothing is coming up, read that I should have it on the 11 transpoder to get the best signal strength.
I'm using a "Y" yolk on the end of the arm to convert the square to the "D" type of dish pro. Should I get a "I" adapter instead since the lnfb will be in the middle instead off to the side.

I would call dish to come out and setup but it would take 3-4 weeks for someone to get out.

Anyhelp would be great, if not thanks for looking.

RLB190

The Yoke adaptor is your problem. When you added the Yoke adaptor you changed two things. The Focal Point point on the Dish is at the end of the Mouning arm (The Yoke Adaptor mounts both LNBF's off center which works with a Dish 500 but NOT a One Slot 24 Inch Dish) so your LNBF on your Yoke Adaptor is Off Center as well as outside of the focal distance.

The I Adaptor will NOT work either as you will still be still be out of the proper focal distance.

I will suggest two things;

1) Get a 24 Inch Dish with a "D" Tube.

2) As long as you don't Need a Dish Pro LNBF (I assume you are not using a Dish Pro Plus Switch) then just get a Standard Square Ended DBS LNBF.

John

JohnL said:
The I Adaptor will NOT work either as you will still be still be out of the proper focal distance.
Yes, if the focal distance is wrong it will not work.

If you know what the focal distance should be for the 24" Voom dish, then you might be able to use a hack saw to cut the metal arm to the correct length.

But it would probably be easier just to get one designed for Dish Network. They are not very expensive and used ones are in abundance.

I'd get a square tube D* LNB. The 301 will see it as a legacy. Those are cheap, and in abundance. You wouldn't even need to run a check switch, just clear that stuff off, otherwise you might get bogus error messages.

I just learned that the azimuth angle given in the "Peak Angles" screen is relative magnetic north, not geographic north. So please disregard my post here where I said you would have to compensate by 10 degrees.

Any luck yet?

I had the following problem when Installing a Dish myself.
I had everything set perfect, and I kept getting the same message: Good connection no signal.
I ran another check switch, same thing.
Then I exited out of the screen and went back through the menus again and went to point dish screen, and

WALLA! I was able to find the satellites and peak my dish.

Try that
Once the signal strength screen is showing:
get the dish pointed in the general direction, and just start moving it around.

Last edited:
yeah, you wouldn't even need to do a check switch other than to clear out the matrix, since there will be no switch to check. If you do run a check switch, it should show up as a legacy dual.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)