Everything to Know About Those Old Dishes

Status
Please reply by conversation.
mkm4 said:
Oops, forgot about a Videocipher 2 or Videocipher RS+ decoder.

And the HDD 200

But if you want enough for cheap grab a free old dish no less than 10', slap it up get a dual band feed with norsat lnbs 4dtv and a dvb, thats good for now :)

Exactly, if i picked up a few old dishes along the road (ofcourse w/ permission) what new things would I have to buy assuming certain parts are still useable.
(I don't think i'll buy all the extra, just i guess the 4DTV and Digital FTA Receiver to get the largest selection w/o going broke.

iXneonXi said:
Exactly, if i picked up a few old dishes along the road (ofcourse w/ permission) what new things would I have to buy assuming certain parts are still useable.
(I don't think i'll buy all the extra, just i guess the 4DTV and Digital FTA Receiver to get the largest selection w/o going broke.

If everything worked on the old dish, you should only need new cable and a receiver.

mkm4 said:
If everything worked on the old dish, you should only need new cable and a receiver.

That also assumes it already had the correct gear on it.

1. C/Ku band feedhorn
2. Wideband C LNB, 15 degree or better, prefer high stability
3. Wideband Ku LNB, .6 db or better, prefer high stability
4. New servo

charper1 said:
That also assumes it already had the correct gear on it.

1. C/Ku band feedhorn
2. Wideband C LNB, 15 degree or better, prefer high stability
3. Wideband Ku LNB, .6 db or better, prefer high stability
4. New servo

You don't really need the wideband unless your are going to try to receive sats over the Atlantic (AOR).
And the feedhorn should include a servo.

Seems right. Hrm, will i be able to get odd polarity channels?
Hrm this would be funny but if i had the money i could end up with like 4000 channels. Legal too.

Thats why you said get a good servo...feedhorn. Would i buy the servo, or just a feedhorn with a good one. Thats saying i don't get a working feedhorn, they seem like the most damaged part other than motor. I think the lnbs will still be working because they are inside the covering. I hope they the right ones.

iXneonXi said:
Thats why you said get a good servo...feedhorn. Would i buy the servo, or just a feedhorn with a good one. Thats saying i don't get a working feedhorn, they seem like the most damaged part other than motor. I think the lnbs will still be working because they are inside the covering. I hope they the right ones.

I would get a new feed with lnbs, some places have feed packs like skyvision, but this place in Canada has better quality stuff I find.
http://www.rpssat.com/skypack/index.html

You MIGHT get some channels with old junk parts BUT if things aren't of a decent spec then you will be getting a bad signal and missing out on much more. IF all the used parts are up to spec then for $10 it would be silly not to change to a new servo so you don't have mess with it post-install. Same goes for a few extra dollars spent for wide-band. Why decide after the fact that you want to test it. Things just always work out much better when they are done correctly up front. This is NOT a cheap hobby, and short-cutting will cause severe headaches and frustration in the long run.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)