EXCLUSIVE: AT&T HomeZone First Look

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Yesterday walking the show floor I saw one of the most exciting devices I have ever laid my eyes on and it was not made by Echostar, instead this beauty came to us from the folks at 2WIRE. The products name is the AT&T HomeZone and what it does is truely amazing.

The AT&T HomeZone combines a Satellite Receiver with the power of the internet.

I am not going to write up a full review now as I am expecting a test unit, however from what I have seen so far I know I am going to cry when its time for me to send my review unit back.

One of the main features of the unit is true video on demand, and this video on demand goes way beyond what the cable companies offer (who only offer you between 200 - 400 selections) basically with the HomeZone the playlist is massive and keeps growing every day as AT&T partners witl additional content providers.

Let's say you came home one night and wanted to see the Movie Greese, you can go into a menu seach for Grease and for a small fee be watching Greese in full DVD quality in just a few moments (depending on your internet connection speed it may take a few seconds to a few minutes for the movie to buffer and start.

Have a favorite Internet Radio Station? You can listen to it on your TV or home stereo.

HomeZone can also store your digital photos and audio on its hard drive or better yet it can access your photos and audio available on computers on your home network. But whats even cooler is let say your at work and you want to show a co worker pictures from your recent vacation, by going to Yahoo you can log in to your HomeZone account and view all your pictures, plus you can even access all the music from your home network anywhere in the world.

Another neat feature (and one I have been waiting for) is the ability to program DVR timers on the internet. To do this just go to Yahoo and login to your HomeZone Account click on the program guide button and you can then program your DVR over the internet. Now you never need to say "Dang I forgot to set the DVR to record CSI" CSI again. For the demo I was given I was shown that as soon as I clicked on the record button on the web interface the red record circle was displayed in the guide for that program on the DVR, it was instant no waiting.

There is just so much you can do with the HomeZone it's an amazing device. Want to check your email on your TV.. You can... want to chat with Yahoo Messanger... You can...

Another thing loved about it was it has 2 Digital Off Air Tuners a feature lacking on Echostar boxes. Also one HomeZone box can feed two TVs (1 in HD and the other in SD).

The unit comes with two huge remotes which can double as Ping Pong Paddles. (Ok dont use them for Ping Pong Paddles) however these will be remotes which will be really hard to lose. :) the remotes even feature a full QWERTY keyboard on board.

As this service grows you will be able to watch what you want when you want, the AT&T HomeZone makes you in charge of your viewing almost like your running your own TV station. :)

I cant wait to get one to demo. :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,853
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 2,370
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 1,953
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 995
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,238
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 1,251
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 956
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 962
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 1,246
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 813
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 713
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 1,007
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 743
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 650
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 777
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 920
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 607
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 773
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 649
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 812
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 1,042
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 746
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 851
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 680
Last edited by a moderator:
how big is the Hard Disk on this thing? 1 HD feed is ok but I would have preferred two. I am not much into on-demand programming but I see the potential of this if you could have all you DVRs networked to this one.

The one HD feed is setup like just like the 622 is. The big plus is the two OTA tuners.

I will find out about the size of the hard drive today for you as I am going back in a bit for a meeting with the AT&T and 3WIRE Guys.

Looks awesome :up ...shame I'll never get to own one, since no at&t here. Phone & TV BOTH controlled by the same local monopoly. :(

Any chance you can watch shows from your homezone on computers in another location (like slingbox?). Seems like they should be able to integrate that type of feature.

kingbenj said:
Any chance you can watch shows from your homezone on computers in another location (like slingbox?). Seems like they should be able to integrate that type of feature.
Not yet. (Thats all I will say about that) :D

Is it just me or is $5 dollars per movie a little pricey? I know most providers sell for about that but at that price I will never switch away from Netflix. Four movies and I am paying more then Netflix. I can watch more than that per month with Netflix. Also I am a pretty patient person so their instant avaliability does not really seem to be worth the extra cost. If the price was 2.50 per movie then I think it might be good.

I have a very quick question on this. If everyone assumes that they have to be in an ATT customer area to get this service, then why is Dish Network's logo on the device?

Interesting question.

I'm a dish customer, and an AT&T Customer...seperately...Will this require me to do the joint AT&T/Dish program or can I keep my bill seperate, etc...

Or does the Homezone not really care what's plugged into the cable-in port? Can this be used with everything and dish just happens to be helping out with the cost/rollout/publicity of the device?

Some of the features I could care less about after the review though...

The Video on demand is cool but the rest of what you listed Tivo does Today, and then some.

I'm not a big fan of the PPV style of distibution. Now if there were no monthly fee I'd feel a bit differently.

I think ondemand would be attractive if on the backend there was a huge farm of DVRs feeding all available content to the ondemand servers. Basicly from the consumer end you'd be able to watch anything and everything time allowing. Who needs two tuners in a DVR when your provider is already recording all 500 channels ;).

Any idea how they distribute the ondemand showings? Bandwidth isn't cheap, and those movies to really be DVD quality are at the very least 1/2 GB, and tha'ts if they're using an advanced codec. Could they be using bittorrent to help dilute the cost of distribution?

I'm not a huge fan of AT&T, well SBC, but this device does open a lot of doors, just not sure how successful it will be. Do you really want to watch a SD movie without all of the extra features for $5, when you have a HDTV and have access to 14 national HD channels and growing. By the time this thing rolls out, Netflix will be offering HDDVD and BlueRay DVDs for similar costs per movie.

This thing isn't going anywhere.

What should they do? Use bittorrent and remove the package speed limit for DSL subscribers (768k for lowest package) on this device. Forget movies, and go for free internet content, there's a lot out there. Make agreements with YouTube, Google Video, Video podcasts, etc, and make your money through a monthly fee and advertising.

Does it work only with Dishnetwork? Why do we need AT&T ? I don't understand who is the satellite feed provider.

Sergio

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts